Chord identification

frigiliana

Reaction score
I wonder if anybody can help me with these chord shapes in the video i've linked to which is part of Niels Andersen great tutorials at 3:39mins he has a diagram for 6/9 chord shapes that are also a M13 shape sorry if i'm not explaining myself well.
They sound great and would like to use them more but i can't decide what note denotes the chord name .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpRDm6uEcfI&ab_channel=ukingNHA

Hi, frigiliana!

A69 = Dmaj13

You can use them for the ending of A and D

Cheers zztush , can you explain what note in that chord makes it a Dmaj13 is it that a Dmaj chord has a A & F# in it ?

D: D Gb A (R 3 5)
D7: D Gb A C (R 3 5 7) D7 is D+7th (See the figure below)
Dmaj13: D Gb A Db B (R 3 5 7 13)
D7's 7th is minor 7th and it is C, Dmaj13's 7th is major 7th and it is Db.

how to screenshot on windows 7

We have 4 strings on our uku. Dmaj13 has 5 notes. We can omit root or 5th. In this case we remove root and make Dmaj13.

We have A and F#(Gb) in it.

Welcome to the wonderfully ambiguous world of ukulele chord names. Sometimes the name chosen depends on context like what note a bass instrument might be playing. If you have a "low G" uke 2122 is going to sound like an A chord. If you have a "high G" uke and want more of a D chord sound, you might choose 4224 though that is awkward to finger. On a smaller uke you might can reach 6222.

Thanks Jim i should have said i do have a "low G" why i've asked about these chords i've used them at the end of Pennies from heaven and they just lift the ending sound lovely .
I just couldn't work out what note designated it a say Dmaj13 till it got explained here .

Just to expand a little on zztush's answer: when you're faced with a chord with more notes than you can play, omitting the fifth is usually least problematic, since it contributes the least to the sound of the chord. Perhaps somewhat counter-intuitively, omitting the root instead is often okay, as long as the tonality is clear from the context.

Also, a minor pedantic point: the D major triad is D - F# - A, not D - Gb - A. D - Gb is a diminished fourth, which sounds like a major third in equal temperament but which is quite dissonant in other temperaments. It's easiest to see in meantone tuning, where D - F# has two small half-steps (i.e., chromatic semitones) and two big half-steps (i.e., diatonic semitones) whereas D - Gb has only one small half-step and three big half-steps. Similarly, D maj 7 is D - F# - A, not D - Gb - A - Db.

And a digression: coming from a background in early keyboard, violin, and choral singing, where it's generally clear how temperaments work, I realize I have no idea how you would tune a ukulele to anything other than equal temperament, even if you could move the frets. Do people ever concern themselves with this issue on the ukulele?

David

Thanks for the explanation David but if i'm being honest a lot of the technical terminology goes over my head , i would love to have your knowledge but i seem to have a low threshold for taking in technical stuff i know i should it's very lazy on my part , i just enjoy finding chords out that i've never played and think WOW how good that sounds where can i use it in my next song . In the example above the Dmaj13 i couldn't work out what made it a D now i've had it explained i can find it on the fretboard i'm a happy bunny.
Regards Dave

Welcome to the wonderfully ambiguous world of ukulele chord names...

Yep. The notes in that diagram can also be reordered to give you F#AC#B i.e., F#minor(add11) :)

Top Bottom