262. You Want It Darker.

Nights. Seven of 'em. In 1:24.

There's a certain Electric Prunes song I'm tempted to try but I would be very happy if someone more talented than me did it!

I asked Jessica (my amazing partner/wife/hero) which Leornard Cohen best fit the "songs of the night" theme. It took her a couple seconds to start singing this one.

I did this once before as a song that my oldest daughter used to like me to sing. She loved the part about "fall through the skies", and I did a happy take then. This is a one take special that is closer to the original, which not only mentions Night in the title, but turns pretty dark around the third verse.

Evening folks.
Incredible beginnings.
Thank you. Observations thus far on this first day of the journey.

Wim. Because the Night.
wonderful cover Wim. wonderful. the torment of the*lyrics is carried in your voice. urgent. passionate. beautiful. thanks mate.
Brian. Traveling Light.
wow mate. what a cover. seriously. thank you. this hit me in the heart.
Wim. Tower of Song.
unique and beautiful interpretation of* this song Wim. could feel you mate. every word. shows Cohen's humility in spades and somehow his self assurity too. Thank you brother.
Brian. It's Getting Dark.
amazing mate. exactly the kind of creativity I was hoping for. amazing song. thank you. let's hope there comes a dawn.
Tommy. Long Black Veil.
wonderful song brother. wonderful performance. thank you Tommy.
Lefty. I Wonder Where My Baby Is Tonight.
OMG mate. How good is this then. Thanks for the joy of this performance Dave. You play and sing it perfectly. Ike would be proud. Can you see him smiling now. Not as wide as this guy here in Hobart though. You're the best Lefty. Thank for this mate, this is a gift.
Alan. Here In Frisco.
Such a beautiful song. You killed this Alan. This is just superb mate. Thank you.
Fred. Awake.
Wonderful song Fred. Your voice is rich and emotive and the melody is so pretty and sad. Superb writing and performance brother. Thank you.
Fred. Another Saturday Night.
Lovely contrast to your original Fred, and one I wasn't expecting.*This had my toes tappin and my heart smiling. Sweet rhythm. The new instrument sounds awesome mate. Thank you my friend.
Linda. Hey, That's No Way To Say Goodbye.
Linda this is amazing. Thank you for this gift. A stunning performance. You dug into the depths of the lyrics and exposed your soul. Beautiful.
Heino. Nightmare.
Even if you don't like it. This is a trip brother. Cuts deep. Beautiful. Poignant and real. Your reading has incredible depth and soul. The verses have their own melody .This is special, man. You are extremely talented. Thank you.
Rick H. Seven Nights.
Saturday, Sunday any chick'll do. haha! Awesome one brother. Not heard it before. You kicked it's butt. One on my to-learn-list. Loved this*Rick. Thank you.
Brian. Seemed A Better Way.
Bloody hell you know how to cut peoples' insides open mate. This is a journey. Beyond superb. Leonard is smiling. And cursing.
Ralf. The Night Comes On.
So powerful mate. The inflections in your voice, the spaces you made within the song. You did this as close to perfectly as anyone could have. It's an incredible song and you may as well have written it your damn self. Thank you Ralf.
Rick(Greenie). Night Time.
Big Star! Magic choice, my friend. Jesus, Rick you have one almighty rainbow storm of a voice. So smooth, so damn majestic. One of the finest covers I've heard in a long time. Evocative as all hell. Thank you brother.
Jim. Alone At Midnight.
Oh man. Jim. YES. Just, yes. Maybe I'm the only other seasonista who knows this song, maybe not. But in any event, I worshipped the Smithereens mate. I have all their rekkids on vinyl and cassette. You really nailed this brother. Love the way you backed off the tempo and found the beautiful soul of the song. You're one of my favourite writers and players. Thank you.

Jon...you're looking kinda lonely mate. Would you like someone new to talk to?
HAD TO BE DONE- Dr. Hook. Sharing the night together. I can't thank you enough for the laughs that came with this...
GOOD TIMES!
Let's all climb into mom's red on red Ford LTD and play a song together.

Last edited:
More mindblowing stuff even as I was typing.
Thank you Dave, Mel, Brian, Anais and Borfus.

Brian F. End Of The Night.
Absolutely outstanding, Brian. You're a pro, man. It shows. What a cover. Beautiful, spare arrangement. Brooding, mournful vocal. Wonderful filmclip. Just superb. Thank you for givng us this one brother. And thank you too Anais and Borfus.
Dave and Mel. Sharing The Night Together.
Better than the original mate. You can sit down here beside me anytime you like and coming on too strong is not in my vocabulary. Bonus points for doing it all with a straight face. Mel, put down the ball of yarn and pick up your uke. :) Love you guys. Everything about this video is perfect. Big hugs from sandy bay to Cloverdale. Oh yeah, I'm liking it too.
Brian F. One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong.
Please let me come into the storm. This is gorgeous, Brian. Done just a s a Cohen song should be done. Bare, exposed. Surrendered. It's a wonderful, wonderful performance mate, thank you.

[Eugene/]TCK and TCW are heretofore declared exempt. Complaints may be addressed to Santa Claus, c/o North Pole and etc.[/Eugene]

Hahahaha! Excellent news, because I can play some songs. ADHD, no TV, no FB, and a love of playing my ukuleles makes it real hard to not play all day. Nothing I would rather do and I am so far down the love funnel rabbit hole right now I reckon I will soon irritate everyone. These nights are going to be gold mate. Off to see what our friends are doing.
[Eugene/]TCK and TCW are heretofore declared exempt. Complaints may be addressed to Santa Claus, c/o North Pole and etc.[/Eugene]

Hahahaha! Excellent news, because I can play some songs. ADHD, no TV, no FB, and a love of playing my ukuleles makes it real hard to not play all day. Nothing I would rather do and I am so far down the love funnel rabbit hole right now I reckon I will soon irritate everyone. These nights are going to be gold mate. Off to see what our friends are doing.

Yep. Gold mate. Can't wait. Don't stop bringin it. You have a golden ticket - Willy W.
PS - Our friends are making gold too. Yep. Makin it. :)

They are killing it aren't they? We have good friends good sir. Having a ball sharing the night with these people. Colleagues and friends condescend with a smile,
But this is my culture man, this is my home
Yep. Gold mate. Can't wait. Don't stop bringin it. You have a golden ticket - Willy W.
PS - Our friends are making gold too. Yep. Makin it. :)

They are killing it aren't they? We have good friends good sir. Having a ball sharing the night with these people. Colleagues and friends condescend with a smile,
But this is my culture man, this is my home
Mine too mate.
Sayin a prayer for Lefty too. Even though you abandoned me by that cactus near the border. :p
This mate. This. (Without meaning to disparage any of the other wonderful clips so far. But this hit me like a Bumgarner pitch in the ribs. maybe because I am a wannabe poet. but seriously...)

True story. I was watching the movie "Ten items or less" and at the end of the
movie they play "Duncan" and the line "crept into her tent by flashlight" seemed
to fit for the first theme... songs of the night. It was only after I recorded it
I realised the host's name was Duncan... serendipity or what?

My son sent me a poem written by Leonard Cohen just after he had died.
It appears that he was longing to go to another place and viewed his dying as a sail
to begin that voyage. I set the poem to music.

Mission
I’ve worked at my work
I’ve slept at my sleep
I’ve died at my death
and now I can leave.

Leave what is needed
and leave what is full
need in the spirit
and need in the whole.

Beloved, I’m yours
as I have always been,
from marrow to pore
from longing to skin.

Now that my mission
has come to its end
I pray I’m forgiven
the life that I’ve led

the body I chased
it chased me as well.
My longing’s a place
my dying a sail.

Rob. Duncan.
These motel walls are cheap. What a song. This is pick of the week mate. I adore this. The way you sang it. The clip. This is pre-punk platinum. Paul Simon didn't do it as good as this. I'm thankful for my fingers too. :)
(your pre-season Cohen poem set to original music is sensational also mate. added to the playlist though because it's that good).

Top Bottom