262. You Want It Darker.

g'night folks.
leaving you with this.
a poem I wrote to the moon. then put to music.
the film is of a funeral procession in Singapore, August 2016.
Side Track.
Part The Fifth.

A song for our host.
Mate your version is a bloody ripper!
I haven't tried any fancy uking because you have just nailed that.
I have basically just sung it for you. I hope that's OK.
It's one I'd love to do together if you get to visit.

"Dark Is The Night" (Temnaya noch) - a Russian song from 1943, about a soldier in steppe, reminiscing his wife and child. Officially this song was disapproved and thought to be too sentimental, but it was quite popular during and after WWII. Now, some Russian melancholy in broken English:

Gotta have some Leadbelly. What a man. What a story he had to tell. I'm just the messenger.

Happy Wednesday! A Twitter friend reminded me of this song, which is partly set in a town where my family lived when I was a kid.

262-3

I have got to do some nice songs this week because they have nights in the lyrics. Sweet. In a dark chocolate way.

Greetings, everyone!!!! Jon, well, I couldn't resist entering a lil' ditty for your Season 262 -- thank you so much for hosting this week! I'll apologize upfront because I mangled this classic tune considerably, but I've always, ALWAYS wanted to play it! So, indeed, not so seasoned am I (pardon the pun!) at playing Patsy Cline's 'Walkin' After Midnight' -- but, man, I sure had fun learning to 'attempt' to play it -- and I couldn't help myself from being a little silly whilst doing this video! Thanks for watching, friends, and I look forward to seeing all of your entries! Peace and happy strummings! ~ chelley xoxo

P.S. Check out Sarah Maisel playing this tune (her 'ukulele recording is what inspired me to learn it!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWGOpteEHPA

Last edited:
Howdy friends, enemies and the indifferent.
Some more ponderings on the wonderful stuff my ears digested this afternoon.

Brian. Boys, The Night Will Bury You.
Serious groove mate. Serious awesomeness. Thank you for taking a request and a sip and making it sound like you wrote the damn thing. Bloody fantastic Brian. Cheers mate.
Val. I Couldn't Sleep A Wink Last Night.
Such a beautiful song. Gee your playing has improved out of this world Val. Sung with so much feeling and the way you played it - the right amount of space to breath and for our ears to hear. Lovely. Thank you.
Ylle. Dark Is The Night.
Incredible audio and video Ylle. Fabulous song. Your voice really is in a place all its own here. Truly haunting. And beautiful. Thank you.
Rick. Midnight Special.
You're bringing the goods this week Rick. Love this song. Great choice mate and excellent version.
Demi. Fly Into The Mystery.
Yes! Thanks for bringing Jonathan Richman to the seasons Demi. Great cover! Thank you.
Rex. Telephone Line.
Yeah. There aint no song you can't do Rex. Your voice is sounding incredible as ever mate. This is absolutely super. Made me remember why I fell in love with this song in the first place. Oh, did I mention how freakin awesome your voice is? Good. I needed to tell you twice anyway.
Chelle. Walkin' After Midnight.
Hey Sis! Thanks for singing something for us this week. Love everything you do and the flubs are character stains. Your voice is beautiful and the way you went with the moment made it for me. Cool Chelle. Way cool. Love you sis.

Oh, and Rex.
Answer that f###ing phone mate. :p

Janet. You Want It Darker.
Spare and beautiful poem, Janet. The space you left speaks volumes. Thank you.

Greetings, everyone!!!! Jon, well, I couldn't resist entering a lil' ditty for your Season 262 -- thank you so much for hosting this week! I'll apologize upfront because I mangled this classic tune considerably, but I've always, ALWAYS wanted to play it! So, indeed, not so seasoned am I (pardon the pun!) at playing Patsy Cline's 'Walkin' After Midnight' -- but, man, I sure had fun learning to 'attempt' to play it -- and I couldn't help myself from being a little silly whilst doing this video! Thanks for watching, friends, and I look forward to seeing all of your entries! Peace and happy strummings! ~ chelley xoxo

P.S. Check out Sarah Maisel playing this tune (her 'ukulele recording is what inspired me to learn it!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWGOpteEHPA

Hi Chelle! Couldn't find anywhere to comment on this ... is it not up on YT? So, anyway, lovely impressive stuff - you go girl! xo

Linda L. It's A Good Day.
Beautiful song Linda and a recording to match. Doesn't really fit the spirit of the theme but nonetheless lovely for not doing so.

Linda L. It's A Good Day.
Beautiful song Linda and a recording to match. Doesn't really fit the spirit of the theme but nonetheless lovely for not doing so.

Removed for a flight to the island.

And my third, and final contribution, Jon (phew ... that must be a relief!) Actually, you had a very lucky escape; I was intending to write you a song and I came up with an absolutely fabulous first line, after which the Muse escaped me and I ran out of time. So, instead, here is another song of the night from one of my favourite folk singers, the great Tom Paxton.

Hope this is dark enough Jon!

A song about someone musing at night about the day ahead...

A song about the transition from life to death. In the animated film, Watership Down, Hazel, the rabbit dies.....then departs his body and enters the spirit world.

Top Bottom