262. You Want It Darker.

In the shower, I totally sound like Bob Seger, really, truly. Little harder to do outside of the bathroom, although it gets better as the song goes along.

In the shower, I totally sound like Bob Seger, really, truly. Little harder to do outside of the bathroom, although it gets better as the song goes along.
You too eh? I am sure that having a uke in my hand makes me a worse singer. My shower version of James Carr's "Dark End of The Street" was absolutely first rate.

Gold mate. I'm always workin on my night moves too...
Joko. Night Moves.
getting our share. I hope you be getting yours brother. this is so free and easy. like everything you do man. and that be exactly why I love ya.

thanks for making the daylight hours worth it everyone.
until tomorrow folks.
g'night.

Side Track.
Part the Third.

I'll say goodnight with this.
From my songwriting hero.
Be careful, boys.
From your (already) buried host.

Here's to our host. I just wanna say I think he's amongst the best at playing the ukulele in our little community. He doesn't do fancy videos, but he always seems to have interesting backgrounds with scenes of nature and the sounds of the birds of Tasmania around him. Best of all, he's a bit of a showman, and when he plays, his enthusiasm is all over his face. The eyes closed. The eyebrows wavering. He has an amazing ability to complement his tremendous uke playing with simple but enchanting visuals.

I'd like to emulate Jon in how he plays and sings. I tried to do the facial expressions.

Now all I need is a sweater vest, a tie, a different hat and a lot more talent.

Hi Jon! Don't know how dark you are aiming for but will "black" do the trick for the Prince of Darkness? Actually, I'd never heard this song before yesterday, but now I really like it ... it's very pretty; in an "uber black" sort of way, of course!

Season 262. Submission 2. "Democracy" (Written and recorded by Leonard Cohen, 1992)

Oh, how I will miss his voice and his deep, deep understanding of who we are and who we are not.

Here's the very first song I thought of when I read that Leonard Cohen was allowed--and as it was uploading, I saw that this is the second version posted! Let's see some more!

Written in the darkness, with the fire in the wood stove for light, and meant to be sung that way too, I guess. Back then, my instrument was a Korg digital piano.

Well there just came to mind
An old wintertime song
With the sound of the fire
Just cracklin' along
And I feel that hard times
May be coming on soon
But with you I could last
Through the wintertime gloom

And I'll sing you a wintertime song
It's a simple and comforting song

And I just want to warn you
That winter is here
It's a chilling and windy
And lonely time of year
And I just want to tell you
You're welcome to stay
We can lie by the fire
And love the night away

And I'll sing you a wintertime song
It's a happy and heartfelt old song
Yes I'll sing you a wintertime song
It's a simple and comforting song

Now the firelight is glowing
Against your warm skin
Outside the leaves are blowing
In the cold winter wind
And the look in your eyes
Says you want me right here
With a song and a smile
And a few happy tears

Last edited:
Greetings,

Insane... I know to try to sing a song performed by Beth Hart, one of the greatest female vocalists (er...not well known right now maybe) but she performed this song with Joe Bonamassa that gripped my soul. She did not write this song, as my video states, but I love her version.

Ciao

Last edited:

Wilco Johnson, Lee Brilleaux and the rest of the gang on " Stupidity ". The live album and the best LP of my yoof ...from a Rhythm and Blues Band from dahn sarf ..... Dr Feelgood and the 70's,my best time. My version lacks the power and drive of the original...but I ain't no Wilco on the uke...nor at all...anywhere ...respect .....

Last edited:
thank you all for another fantastic day of music.
the night calls.
but before I answer, some musings on the latest videos.

Brian. My Oh My.
You can do Cohen better than most mate. It's in you. This is awesome.
Joko. Ballad Of The Absent Mare.
The only thing better than one Joko is two Jokos. And what a song. I can guarantee there is no cover of this song anywhere quite like this mate. Ha! Loose and wild in the best way. You always make me smile. Thanks brother.
Val. Blackness Of The Night.
Lovely, lilting performance val. You sure tapped into the emotional depth of the song. Both your voice and baritone ukulele sound excellent. thank you.
Linda. Democracy.
These words. This is one of his crowning glories in my opinion. Right at the top of the Tower. Your performance did nothing to change my mind, Linda. Thank you.
Brian. First We Take Manhattan.
Geez I adore this song. No less for having been processed through the brizzer audio filter. This is superb mate. Love the way you do this one. Feeling you feelin it. Thank you.
Cheese. Hey Bobby.
wow cheese, this is so good mate. So good. Gutsy, powerful, rhythmic and damn groovy. no one does punk uke better than you my friend. thank you
Luis. Tower Of Song.
I love your voice Luis. So soulful and resonant. Rich. Wonderful cover mate. thank you.
Tommy. Bird On the Wire.
I love the way you reinterpret music Tommy. It's unique and cool. Don't ever stop brother. Struggling to find the right words, but, it's like there is something inherently optimistic about the way you play. it always leaves me wanting to hear more. Thank you for singing this one for us mate.
Alan. Wintertime Song.
Fine, fine song Alan. I can hear Gillian Welch and David Rawlings playing this. Thank you for reprising it for us after so many years.
Gina. Your Heart Is As Black As the Night.
Love the vibe here Gina. So raw and urgent. So heartfelt. Your voice quavers with the emotion the words demand. Just wonderful mate. Thank you.
Rex. Dream Lover.
Yeah! This is awesome brother! You kicked this out of the park. Your voice is sounding brilliant. Thank you.
CJ. Back In The Night.
Eh? Dr Feelgood? You are the wild one my friend. Superbly played. Great work on the keyboard and bass. Super vocal. I be dancing now and someone try and stop me. So freakin cool CJ. Thank you.

Top Bottom