262. You Want It Darker.

My wife and I both have stinkers of colds. She was unwell yesterday and I have been feeling miserable all day to day so the extra songs I had planned haven't got done, unfortunately. I hope to be a bit better tomorrow but probably not up to doing an extra song, unfortunately. Hopefully shall get something done next week and I should be OK for S264 which I am hosting.

Sorry for being a bad seasonista. I just loved L Cohen like we all did. This wasn't part of a season is like 4 years old but...Sorry

Just returned home, and I'm exhausted! I recorded this on Monday, but was unable to upload it until now. It's a Paul McCartney song from 1973. I recorded this on the balcony of my room in Mexico. I took my little Waterman there, and my big sausage fingers struggle with it! I loved it in Mexico, but it's good to be home!

This is my second submission for this week, an original song that I wrote back in 1994, when I was 15 or 16. It was just a poem then. Since then, I've revised it several times, later adding a chorus and setting it to music. Over the years, it's become very special to me. I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for this week, since it has a "hopeful" tone rather than a "dark" one, but it is about a night in the wilderness. So, here is "Long Night Wind:"

VERSE 1
I saw the colt at sunset in the golden twilight hour
I felt the wind race past him, and I knew I felt his power
In the clouds, I hear the thunder as the mighty horses run
When I saw the colt at sunset in the disappearing sun.

CHORUS
It's a long night blowing autumn wind up in the pines
It's a long day's journey to the end, but still I find
That hope is here and God is near wherever I may go
With this freedom of the mountains, now forever in my soul.

VERSE 2
I saw the wolf in moonlight and I knew it won't be long
Until the dawning of the morning, when a new day has begun
In these nightshadows, I wander in this chill of early fall
As I watch the wolf in moonlight and I hear that mournful call.

CHORUS
(3rd line) ...hope is hear and friends are near...

VERSE3
I watch the fire burning, and I know that all is right
There's a silence in the forest on this one last summer night
The flames and embers lift my soul, I'm joyful once again
As I watch the fire burning, and I've done all that I can.

CHORUS
(3rd line) ...hope is here, contentment's near...

CHORUS
(3rd line) ...hope is here and love is near...

Gina. Nel Scuro (Into The Dark).
The world is large, do not cry. You blended your own beautiful words and language with such a fitting song, Gina. Sure made me smile. This is fantastic mate. Thank you.
Paul. Almost Like The Blues.
Oh yes. What a vocal on this one mate. Hypnotic like the master himself. Bonus points for the Sven reso.
Rob. It's Been A Hard Day's Night.
Your creativity always surprises. Sometimes it repels. Sometimes it's wild and weird and wonderful. Sometimes it makes everything alright. This time the latter two. That is art. It oozes from you, Rob. Thank you.
Liz S. Goodnight.
Beautiful, gentle, honest*performance Liz. I admire anyone who*can take*on a song like this and render it so well. Thank you.
Linda. True.
Well. A highlight of my listening week. I think I've run out of words for you, man. Everything about this, everything. Nice to see you following Leonard's progression from poet to songwriter Linda! It's a dark gem. Thank you. And at time of writing 21 "likes" from 71 views? Eh? I never have seen those sort of numbers before. Utterly deserved. Now 22.
Steve. Got A Little Secret.
You sure tapped into the gravity of this song Steve. Could feel the angst and sadness in your vocal. Wonderful brother. Thank you.
Berni. Last Night Of A Brigadista.
Your songs reveal a depth of perception few others can lay claim to, Berni.*The understanding of human nature that your story songs show is an amazing thing to me. Always. This is just wonderful brother. So much bloody feeling. You read between the lines of history and of experience. Yes, that's it. Thank you for letting us in on the secrets.

Wim. Darkness On The Edge Of Town.
Wow mate this is the motherload. Brooding and mournful and fabulous. The hypnotic effects you ran*over it really added a lot of depth to what is already a tough listen. I love it man.
Ray. Night And Day.
Yep. Exactly why you're one of my favourite ukulele players and singers, Ray. Thank you so much for singing this for us brother. I hope many people hear this. Your vocal is so assured and the rhythmic accompaniment as perfect as it could be. Jaw on the floor good.
Dennis. Tonight Will Be Fine.
Geez, Dennis. This so damn good. You pretty much out-Cohened Cohen here. Fabulous version mate. Your voice. Eh? Take a bow, my friend. Thank you.
Dave and Mel. Midnight Moonlight.
Dead Head here lovin every second of this Dave and Mel. Your voice is like rubber mate. You pull em all off so fine. Felt it. Love you.
DP. Another Velvet Nightmare.
Yes! Thanks for taking on Frank Black and winning DP. Awesome cover man.
DP. A Singer Must Die.
Frank was good. This is even better. You kicked this brother. More than did your duty here...Just listening again...gee this song really is a window to Cohen's soul. Excellent choice mate. Reflective of so many things about him. Night after night after night. Sing along everybody - Lalalalaaa... Thank you.

Jim. Scenes From A Night's Dream.
Thanks for doing this cover, Jim. it's wicked. You know I really don't listen to any ukulele music at all, in or outside the seasons. But your channel is one I find myself visiting regularly. The way you play and sing just is like a magnet to me. You always hit me right between the eyes. if not there then in the guts or that dull muscle in my chest. Thank you brother.
Lefty. I have no idea wtf this song is called (but it's damn good)
Jesus Mel. Wake the f*** up. You're missing gold. (PS - You also left the song title outside mate. :p)
Tom. In The Night.
Incredible song, Tom. Your voice and melody and lyric are perfect matches. Only the best songs do this. Thank you brother. Yep. One small flame. Praying for that.
Spook. On My Own.
Welcome, brother. Such a lovely melody, played with skill and feeling. Thank you.
Sean. Help Me Make It Through The Night.
You bought the Kristoffel!!! Brother! Aye Sean, don't mind the cold infused voice myself. Excellent job mate. Laid back and cool version. Don't you dare try and lull me into sleeping...
Heino. Suzanne.
Bloody hell Heino. Freakin incredible cover. Dunno what else to say man. there's a handful of people whose voices rip me open. yours is one of em brother. can't offer a higher compliment than that. though I wish I could. LISTEN TO THIS PEOPLE.
Pops. The Story Of Isaac.
He didn't miss the toughest of tough stuff in his poetry or his songs. I hope I don't ever have to be Abraham. This is a brilliant cover Alan. Your voice really fits Cohen's world so well, and I daresay your heart does too. Thank you mate.

Thank you for the emotion and skill and soul you've freely offered this week.
For me, it has been, thus far, the most enjoyable season I have been a part of.
I'm no music or literary critic, but I chose this theme for a reason
and I feel privileged to have heard all I have. Thank you everyone.
Another day to hit me in the guts if you wanna.
Will leave you with this.
I hope it inspires you or sends you off to sleep, whichever place you'd rather be.
Some Pierre Bensusan folks.
Goodnight.

ah. what the hell. this is one of his best.
take this to bed with you too.

Quiet People/Hiljainen Kansa

Short Ukulele Instrumental with the four seasons of
the roadside art installation in Suomussalmi Finland.
Recorded one version which was melodic and then reversed it
and overlaid it on top of the original recording.

The Silent People
Menacing or in memoriam, the Silent People and their meaning are left to interpretation

Last edited:
eh what? no-one did this?
we had to.
one from the king and queen of the kids.
for Jensen with love.

Top Bottom