NUBD: Kala Rumbler...

UkerDanno

Reaction score
So, where do I find a note chart for what to play? Mostly play off of song sheets with words and chords...

For a very simple bass, follow your song sheet chords by playing the note of the chord and then the 5th note of that chord, like for a C chord, pluck a C note (third fret of the A string), then a G note (third fret of the E string or 5th fret of the D string). Keep the tempo with each chord change and that will get you started.

Bass fretboard.jpg

the 5th note of that chord

Thanks, Mike! I've been just a pure strummer, don't know music theory, how do I determine the 5th note? Is that the circle of fifths thing?

Last edited:
Thanks, Mike! I've been just a pure strummer, don't know music theory, how do I determine the 5th note? Is that the circle of fifths thing?

I should have mentioned that it's rather easy, it's a pattern so to speak, the 5th is always apart by a certain number of frets and strings, it's consistent, no matter what note you're playing, the fifth is always one of these two frets, you can use either one. I mix them up, sometimes I'll do the fifth in one direction, sometimes in the other direction. Use one finger to play the first note and the short step fifth, or use one finger then a second finger to play the first note and longer step fifth (I use my middle finger and pinky, some people use the index finger and ring finger, but it's totally up to you which fingers you want to use).

fifth note of C.png

fifth note of D.png

fifth note of F.png

Last edited:
So...today, I noticed my pickup is coming lose. How do you tighten a nut inside the body that is inaccessible?!?!?!

Yes, Not the pickup, the output jack.

Last edited:
Do you mean the output jack where you plug in the amp cable? There are actually two nuts, on the inside as a stop, and outside holding the jack, which is the one to tighten. The repair guy at Guitar Center West Los Angeles showed me a couple of years ago. Go to the hardware store and buy a 6" piece of 1/4" clear plastic tubing. Insert the tube into the output jack, then hold it firmly as you tighten the nut. Works great for me.

Do you mean the output jack where you plug in the amp cable? There are actually two nuts, on the inside as a stop, and outside holding the jack, which is the one to tighten. The repair guy at Guitar Center West Los Angeles showed me a couple of years ago. Go to the hardware store and buy a 6" piece of 1/4" clear plastic tubing. Insert the tube into the output jack, then hold it firmly as you tighten the nut. Works great for me.

Hmmm, yes, the jack, thanks, I wish you were right. I tried jamming a pencil eraser in the jack, but it all turns as one piece, maybe the Rumbler has a cheaper jack. Looks like I need to tighten the nut inside somehow!

I suggest you try to loosen the outside nut first, maybe it's cross threaded and jammed, then tighten it.

Last edited:
Got authorization and a shipping label from Kala to send it in for repairs, sent it off today, hope they turn it around fast, I have a jam this Saturday! :shaka:

Top Bottom