Greetings from EXOTIC, Sarasota, Florida!!

DrJeff

Reaction score
Hello, everyone! Jeff M, here. I am a scientist by profession, and have been a drummer/percussionist since 1973 or thereabouts. Recently, I decided to branch out more than just adding different percussion toys or the didgeridoo. (Love those things!)
So, I have been trying out Bluegrass Mandolin and the Ukulele. I bought my first Ukulele some years ago, actually, while visiting my daughter in Honolulu. I bought a concert uke, a Lyon by Washburn. I don't see those for sale online anymore, but saw an Oscar Schmidt OU5 concert uke that looks virtually identical. The action is nice and low. The only thing I changed was to install some Aquila Nylgut strings; high-G. I had it for a few years and only recently picked it up and started getting serious about learning to play. It has been so much fun, that I added a Kala "Waterman", plastic Soprano Uke for a beater/outdoor/beach uke and for my upcoming 60th birthday, my wife got me an Oscar Schmidt Banjo Uke.
Being a true science geek, I cannot do anything without trying to learn everything about it, so I have been scouring the web trying to learn all things ukulele. When I found this site just recently, I was quite thrilled as it appears to be just the thing for helping me in this endeavor. So, I am very grateful to join your community and look forward to learning and hopefully, contributing once I get further down the road in my Ukulele quest. So, hello all and cheers! -Jeff

haha "Exotic"! Love that - welcome Dr Jeff - hola from sunny Arizona

Welcome! If you're ever in Tampa Bay, check us out:
Tampa Bay Ukulele Society
Meetup.com and facebook
There's a jam session this Saturday....

Welcome to UU, Jeff. Enjoy your stay and come back often!

Greetings and welcome fellow Floridian. Glad you joined us. I too like to research stuff.......unfortunately, I do not always follow it through to it's conclusion. Make sure you head for the Tampa Bay Uke Fest in November...not to be missed if you can make it. http://tampabayukulelesociety.com/ = one of the most active uke clubs in the country.

Welcome Jeff! You are already contributing to UU. Enjoy the journey. Play with others, it's a blast!

Welcome Jeff! Check out the Sarasota Sandfleas. Nice uke jam group. Enjoy UU. Also, I dig BG mando. Mando is a nice addition to any mixed instrument jam. I play soprano uke when there is no mando player at my BG Jam. Fills that niche in a pinch.

Top Bottom