Amps for Ubass...

UkerDanno

Reaction score
So, I contacted 3 different people on craigslist and got no response!

Any good ideas for budget friendly amps? I don't need anything fancy, the most I'll probably do is accompany a jam group of 20 or so people.

I'm thinking the Fender Rumble 25 for $99.99...

That sounds fine, but it also depends on where you'll be playing; I play bass uke with a ukulele group and we gig often with from about 10 to 60 players. Indoors with a smaller group my Crate Limo 50 watt 10" speaker or my Phil Jones Double Four 70 watt with two special 4" bass speakers does fine, but for large rooms with more players, I use my Carvin MB15 200 watt with 15" speaker. For outdoor gigs that need to push a lot of air to get out the sound, I add an extension Carvin 115MB which brings the amp to 250 watts.

The bigger the area in which you're performing, the bigger the speaker should be to push the air, I learned that lesson the hard way when I tried to use my Crate or Phil Jones for larger gigs and no one could hear me.

I use a Phil Jones Double Four as well. If I need more oomph, I put a mic in front of it and go through the sound system.
I like having a battery powered option. My Crate Limo also does a great job and I can use it for vocals as well.

Well, I picked up a barely used Orange Crush 25 for $120, I think it will be fine for what I need. New, it's $199.99 as opposed to the Fender 25 at $99.99, if that means anything.
crush.jpg

I went to a pawn shop advertising a Fender Rumble 40 for $120, but it was sold, they offered me a Peavey Max 115 300w for the same price, but I didn't want anything that big!

Last edited:
You didn't define "budget friendly" but I got a Peavy 60 watt 12" bass combo amp on Craigslist for $65. Heavy, but some amazing bass for that kind of money.

I have a problem with any bass amp less than 10", I am currently looking at the Ibanez Promethean 10". If you want an 8" bass amp for $99, don't overlook the 8" Ampeg or the 8" Promethean.

Last edited:
If they give a phone number, calling is often the better way to contact them as many don't check their listings very often.

So, I contacted 3 different people on craigslist and got no response!

Any good ideas for budget friendly amps? I don't need anything fancy, the most I'll probably do is accompany a jam group of 20 or so people.

I'm thinking the Fender Rumble 25 for $99.99...

I have a problem with any bass amp less than 10"...
I bought a Hartke HD15 15-watt bass amp, which has a 6.5" speaker. I've used it with uke bass to accompany jams of more than 20 people, and it has been fine. Of course, more power and a larger speaker will provide more versatility, but it will also mean a larger, heavier amp to carry around (and to find space for in whatever room you'll be playing in). I like the size and portability of the HD15. Hartke also makes an HD25, which would be comparable to the Fender Rumble 25 that the original poster mentioned.

Top Bottom