Season 263 Sun Record Artists

Not to speak for the host, but reading the history of Sun, it looks like Elvis never actually released anything under their label, although he was discovered by Phelps. And since we're being encouraged to cover Elvis, seems to me that the answer would be go for it.

I'm looking at a couple songs written by Sun artists, but performed by others. I'm just assuming that's okay, and if not, at the Seasons, it's still okay.

For Val and Anyone else that is confused use the honor code. If you don't know if the song was recorded under Sun but you want to cover the artist go right ahead. Some of it is hard to figure out but make your best effort to find one done by the sun label.

See you all in a few hours!

Keep strumming :)

I will try harder next time, but for now, here's one from Johnny Cash's first album AFTER he was on Sun Records.

I will try harder next time, but for now, here's one from Johnny Cash's first album AFTER he was on Sun Records.

I think the more we talk about this the more Im confusing people. In my OP I stated this weeks challenge is to bring music written or recorded by the “MDQ” or, them as individuals from any time in their carriers. That is Elvis, Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis and Carl Perkins.

The other SR artists I would like you to try and represent the Sun Sound so do your best with those artists.

Happy Birthday Johnny Cash!
"A Boy Name Sue" was responsible for Johnny Cash's Crossover from Country Music Star top Pop Culture Icon. See video notes for Sun Connection/

One of the most unusual groups ever was The Prisonaires, felons who Sam Phillips recorded under armed guard at his studio. They had a hit with this song in 1952.

Well, YorkSteve beat me to this one, with his really pretty rendition. This must be a popular song! I hope we're allowed to post duplicates... :confused: So, this is my take on Johnny Cash's "I Still Miss Someone."

Absolutely duplicates are encouraged here in the seasons!

Im leaving all comments on YT this week so look for them there. I will try and give brief comments at the end of each day.

Not from his time at Sun Records from what I could find but still a huge hit for Johnny Cash (although not written by him).
Rob did his full production - this one is just one take raw with no effects...as it comes....

Last edited:
Top Bottom