Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 263 Sun Record Artists

Default Season 263 Sun Record Artists

This week is inspired by the CMTs new miniseries “Sun Records” that began airing this week. This is not a promotion to the miniseries but rather a promotion of the music.

It occurred to me that I don’t know enough about the recording artists from Sun Records. That had me feeling that I would like to hear more of the artists of the “Million Dollar Quartet” and the Others that influenced the Sun Sound that has reached across race and infused gospel, blues, hillbilly, country, boogie, and western swing creating a whole new sound. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yobNQbRo6zc.

Sun Records is an American independent record label founded by Sam Phillips in Memphis Tennessee, 1952. Sun gained the reputation throughout Memphis as a label that treated local artists with respect and honesty. Phillips provided a non-critical, spontaneous environment that invited creativity and vision. (Sounds like the seasons.)

Sam Phillips discovered Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis and Carl Perkins. The "Million Dollar Quartet" is a recording of an impromptu jam session involving Presley, Lewis, Perkins, and Cash made on December 4, 1956, at the Sun Record Studios. You can read about the sessions here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Million_Dollar_Quartet

This weeks challenge is to bring music written or recorded by the “MDQ” or, them as individuals from any time in their carriers. You are also invited and encouraged to cover any of the other artists http://www.sunrecords.com/artists featured in the miniseries, or anyone recorded by Sun Records. Please list in your intro post who the artist is you are covering.

Song writers may bring songs about the MDQ, Sam Phillips, Sun Records or in the spirit of this weeks theme.

*Unlimited songs
    *All newly recorded this week
    *Season starts Sunday Feb. 26th at 00:01 Hawaii time and ends the
    following Sunday March 5th at 11:59:59 pm.
    *Announce or list in the video Season 263
    *List the artist in your post

Prizes will include the Million Dollar Quartet 50th Anniversary Special Edition or $30 toward something from the Sun Records store (music, apparel, hats, mugs etc.) http://store.sunrecords.com

Several winners will be chosen from the hat.

Everyone likes encouragement. Your comment might help someone enormously. Each comment contributes the positive vibe of the Seasons, and strengthens the aloha spirit of the challenges.

MDQ Ukulele Playlist

SR Other Artist Playlist

263 Originals
    Last edited by lelouden; 03-04-2017 at 06:58 AM.
    Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.

Wonderful theme, Linda! So many great artists played for Sam Phillips.
    KoAlana KCA- 0010 mahogany concert <VBG> Ohana PCK-25G pineapple mahogany concert Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top, willow back/sides KoAloha soprano (2001 vintage) Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany gloss finish soprano Fluke natural concert <BG> Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor Makala MK-CE concert

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Wow, Linda! TERRIFIC theme!!!! And thank you so very much for stepping in as host for this Season 263!!!!

Wow. When I volunteered to take this week, I had planned on doing the Million Dollar Quartet. I didn't know about the miniseries. It was just one of the themes I had come up with.
    YouTube UkeintheHeartofTexas
    Axes:
    Sopranos - Kala Makala, Kala Ukadelic Texas Flag, Bruko Hilo (vintage 1960s!)
    Concert - Epiphone Les Paul
    Tenors - Kala KA-TE, Kala KA-TEME,
    Banjo Uke: Duke (tenor scale)
    Not a ukulele: Seagull Merlin (stick dulcimer)
    Keys:
    Hohner Instructor 32 melodica
    Ukulele Country: My blog about the ukulele and other musical things.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanDP View Post
    Wow. When I volunteered to take this week, I had planned on doing the Million Dollar Quartet. I didn't know about the miniseries. It was just one of the themes I had come up with.
    Thats funny. I had an alternate theme in mind that I thought you would come up with. You not knowing about the miniseries and having the same plan is an odd coincidence.

Thank you linda and Rick!
    Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.

Quote Originally Posted by lelouden View Post
    Thats funny. I had an alternate theme in mind that I thought you would come up with. You not knowing about the miniseries and having the same plan is an odd coincidence.

Thank you linda and Rick!
    So what was the other theme that you thought I might do?
    Axes:
    Keys:

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROCKABILLY WEEK!!! Woo hoo!

Quote Originally Posted by AlanDP View Post
    So what was the other theme that you thought I might do?
    One that you would come up with

Quote Originally Posted by lelouden View Post
    One that you would come up with
    Wow! That's exactly right! Uncanny!
    Axes:
    Keys:

Thread Information