Season 263 Sun Record Artists

Season 263. Submission 1. "Harbor Lights" (Written by Jimmy Kennedy and Hugh Williams in 1937)

Elvis Presley performed this one for Sun Records in 1954. It's a song I remember hearing on my parents' records....and just adoring.

It's played here with 2 baritone parts.

I heard NRBQ's version of "Get Rhythm" about a zillion times before I heard Johnny Cash's original. Their arrangement was so good that JRC adapted it for his own in his latter years (according to his stepdaughter Carlene Carter, who has performed some of the band's music). But the original is fantastic, of course. And much faster than NRBQ's. A breathing challenge.

I'm wearing my Carter Vintage Guitars t-shirt, acquired at one of the great musical instrument stores in Nashville.

Johnny Cash is a big deal to my boyfriend. He first heard "Live at Folsom Prison" as a kid, while he was riding around a rural Colorado town in the passenger seat of his dad's pickup truck. (This is the ideal way to first hear Johnny Cash.) I don't know if my father-in-Law would enjoy this, but it pushed me out of my comfort zone!

WOW! you have gotten SLAMMED today Linda. Happy Birthday to Mister Cash, one of only a handful of artists I can safely say I have every recorded minute from. This is Sun records single #283, released December 10 1957. B-side (because I am NOT playing Ballad of a Teenage Queen ;) )

Feeling better today. Managed to shirk some responsibility to get this down and dirty one take in.

I didn't know Rodger Miller was with Sun Records. I didn't know Rodger Miller sang this song. I didn't....

For Season 263 of the Ukulele, we're playing music recorded by the great Sun records artists. Jerry Lee Lewis recorded this classic song on Sun single 371. Here's "Money", by Janie Bradford and Berry Gordy; played on tenor ukulele with singing, and overdubs of Ubass and amplified,”tremolo" tenor.

Wow, What a start to the week. We've had 21 submissions and each and every one of them is fabulous. I suggest you put these songs on your calendar. For today you all get a virtual Sun Records Fly swatter that says "Where It All Began". Thank you for starting us off with your enthusiastic songs. Wow wow wow!
Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 10.05.20 PM.jpg

I would like to tip my hat to the 14 songs submitted that represented the "MDQ" on our first day. All four artists made it to the playlist on the first day with TurtleDrum representing Elvis, Ralf representing Carl Perkins and Ukefoote representing Jerry Lee Lewis. From start to finish all 14 are outstanding!!!
Johnny Cash was the artist most covered today, so all the "MDQ" submitters are awarded a virtual Sun Records Hat autographed by Johnny himself!
Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 10.01.17 PM.jpg

I have already picked one song for the Seasons...another wonderful theme...it was one of my best decisions to become a seasonista. Hopefully Lynda will participate again soon. I miss her very much. She was the one who helped me to find a name my uke as well.

Johnny Cash's Sun Records album, "Now Here's Johnny Cash" featured this as the first song on the album.

Hi Linda! Found this song on the collection that TCK pointed up - "The Memphis Belles"; the female Sun Record Artists. Apparently Barbara Pittman was the only woman actually contracted to Sun Records, but other female singers recorded under the label from time to time.

Sun Records 1957 LP entitled "Johnny Cash and his Hot and Blue Guitar" meets The Cloverdale Kid and his Lukewarm and Kind of Beige Ukulele
Sorry for the strange tintinnabulation...My classroom is acoustically challenging with all it hard surfaces.

Last edited:
Greetings,

I tried to embed this nice picture of Elvis into my Vid, but so far the technology lesson has not been successful. Here is my vid, of "Are you Lonesone tonight". Picture to follow hopefully.

Ciao

elvis.jpg

So maybe it worked to at least see what I was trying to do.

:)

Top Bottom