Season 263 Sun Record Artists

Hi guys,

My name is Benji. I'm brand new to UU, and this is my first entry to SoTU. (I'm a little nervous.) I really enjoyed catching up on a few of the previous seasons this past weekend. (I especially enjoyed learning what songs you all liked when you were 17) You guys are amazing musicians. I hope I can learn from you, and start getting better.

When my wife, Ashley and I, saw the theme for this season, we both knew immediately we wanted to sing Johnny Cash and June Carter's "Jackson." It's one of our favorites.

Thanks!

Billy Lee Riley had a minor hit for Sun with this in 1957, with piano backing from Jerry Lee Lewis.

Carl Mann was 16 years old when he dropped this on old Sam...I can't find an accurate cat # because it was first released on Phillips International. It was definitely recorded at Sun Studios though and recruited once it was a hit.

Can I get a hell yes right here? Where were these guys two weeks ago? Excellent stuff folks and welcome to the seasons!
Hi guys,

My name is Benji. I'm brand new to UU, and this is my first entry to SoTU. (I'm a little nervous.) I really enjoyed catching up on a few of the previous seasons this past weekend. (I especially enjoyed learning what songs you all liked when you were 17) You guys are amazing musicians. I hope I can learn from you, and start getting better.

When my wife, Ashley and I, saw the theme for this season, we both knew immediately we wanted to sing Johnny Cash and June Carter's "Jackson." It's one of our favorites.

Thanks!

Can I get a hell yes right here? Where were these guys two weeks ago? Excellent stuff folks and welcome to the seasons!

Can I second that. Its so great to see a family having fun with music. Keep it up you two :)

Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 10.13.48 PM.jpg 100_5795.JPG

Today was a much slower day but we did have 10 fabulous people step inside the studio and bring some terrific songs. We had two new seasonistas (Benji and Ashley) join in and they were hotter than a pepper sprout! Check them out!

You all get the virtual Sun Records Label award! Thank you for making me smile today. I hope to see you all tomorrow :)

Stormcrow_26821324072807.jpg

Thank you all for the kind words and for the warm welcome! This is a fun fantastic place, and we're so glad to have found it.

Roy Orbison was a singer's singer. Roy Kelton Orbison (April 23, 1936 – December 6, 1988), was an American singer-songwriter and musician, known for his distinctive, impassioned voice, complex compositions and dark emotional ballads. Johnny Cash suggested that Orbison approach Sun Records. Sam Phillips signed Orbison and his band, the Teen Kings in 1956. Orbison was one of the first recording artists to popularize the "Nashville sound", doing so with a group of session musicians known as the A-Team. The Nashville sound was developed by producers Chet Atkins, Owen Bradley, Sam Phillips and Fred Foster. Between 1960 and 1964, 22 of his songs placed on the Billboard Top 40.

in April 1963, Orbison was asked to replace guitarist Duane Eddy on a tour of the UK in top billing with the Beatles, whose popularity was on the rise. When he arrived in Britain, however, he saw the amount of advertising devoted to the quartet and realized he was no longer the main draw. He had never heard of them and, annoyed, asked hypothetically, "What's a Beatle anyway?" to which John Lennon replied, after tapping his shoulder, "I am". On opening night, Orbison opted to go onstage first, although he was the more established act. Lennon, McCartney, Harrison Starr stood dumbfounded backstage as Orbison performed completely still and simply sang through fourteen encores!

He was immensely popular wherever he went. He toured with the Beach Boys and the Rolling Stones. In Ireland, he was so besieged by teenage girls that the Irish police had to halt his performances to pull the girls off him. In the 70's Orbison fell into obscurity but not his songs! Numerous covers of Orbison's music reached the top of the Charts. Orbison's career was fully revived in 1987. He was inducted into both the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. In 1987 too he became "Lefty Wilbury". Along with George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty and Bob Dylan he formed the Super Group, the Traveling Wilburys.

I'm not going to look at the playlist before posting thiis. I'm afraid someone'd done it already. Elvis's first hit.

Carl Perkins wrote this song when he was 13 years old. It's a true story about taking his girlfriend Maggie to the movies upon his mule, Becky. The song was released in 1955 on Flip Records, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sun Records. Sam Phillips didn't want Carl Perkins to compete directly with Elvis on the Sun label, so Perkins remained on Flip until Elvis left Sun.

This one by Willie Nix that I have seen done by toddb, far better than I could ever hope to do.

First video for a while, and I see it is my 300th

JC did this song. Now I'm going to add it to my set list for the kiddos Sunday mornings.

Last edited:
Here is one done during the Cash Christmas Special 1977 and dedicated it to Elvis.

Top Bottom