so. cal music company and kohalas co uke id

Mastertone

Reaction score
howdy! I'm a banjo picker and just picked up these very old ukes at an auction, id love to get some more info.

One i was told by a local uke picker is likely martin made, has a nice intact label that says copy of genuine hawaiian ukulele made for the southern california music company. comparing online i agree some of it looks like martin, some looks like nunez, but if it was nunez what would it say copy of?

other has a real cool odd shape, says hawain ukulele by kohalas and co.

Any info on these too old ukes? They both need repair work, im trying to figure out if it will be worth it fix one or both, is there any value here?kohalas1.jpgkohalas2.jpgkohalasback.jpgsocal.jpgsocalback.jpg

found more info

A quick search of the internet shows the Southern Cal Music Company is still in business. It might be worth it to call them.

This article about their guitars built by Martin might yield some clues about the instrument: http://vintagemartin.com/MartinSoCal.html

Best of luck to you.

So i have been researching and there are two possibilities, first its very similar to a martin made for the ditson company, however it just doesnt look quite right for martin to me durring my research. I believe it to be Leonardo Nunez, he came over from hawaii, one of manuels kids in the teens and worked in la building ukes for various companies with a lot of work for so cal The rope inlay looks like his, so does the heel. Any idea the value? theres some siginfigant damage so im wondering if its worth getting fixed.

the other one I'm still perplexed on, it seems to be hawaiian made from what local uke experts have told me.

Hi Mastertone: your ukes looks like they need a lot of restoration work. Unlike the vintage guitar market, vintage ukuleles don't seem to fetch much in value. My uneducated guess is that after the cost of restoration you may break even. Are you familiar with George Gruhn? He is an appraiser of vintage acoustic instruments. Look up his website or give him a call for advice. He has examples of vintage Martin ukuleles for sale, such as a 1930's Martin in very good condition listed at $2600.

Let us know how you make out. Good luck.

Hi Mastertone: your ukes looks like they need a lot of restoration work. Unlike the vintage guitar market, vintage ukuleles don't seem to fetch much in value. My uneducated guess is that after the cost of restoration you may break even. Are you familiar with George Gruhn? He is an appraiser of vintage acoustic instruments. Look up his website or give him a call for advice. He has examples of vintage Martin ukuleles for sale, such as a 1930's Martin in very good condition listed at $2600.

Let us know how you make out. Good luck.

I'l keep you updated, luckily im great friends with a fantastic luthior and he does great work, ill likely trade him one uke for the work on the other, not sure which ones to send in, I've played a concert uke and banjo uke im hoping to get one to play. uness there is value, i paid next to nothing for these.

Interesting ukulele, but not made by Martin. Southern California Music Co had a very small number of ukes made for them by Martin but those look very much like Martin made ukes.

This one doesn't have a fingerboard (all Martins do) and is pretty typical Hawaiian construction.

I know this is a bit of an oldie, but wanted to see what you were able to find out about your So. Cal uke if possible. And, of course, if you've played it yet!

I have a uke with the same lablel, same shape and characteristics including the binding and heel. Really nicely made with everything scalloped inside and a great taper and curve to the back. Much lighter toned flamed koa, but the same look.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

I am terrible with photos but will try to post a few later today.

Last edited:
Top Bottom