Kumu, Sailor Brand, Leolani, Loprinzi etc.?

TheKlmslim

Reaction score
So looking around shopping for a ukulele you see a lot of different brands, but the 3 main one that i come across (in my price range) are Kala, islander, and ohana. Which from what i gather are reputable brands that produce good ukuleles for the price. But as i was looking at Uke Republic, i saw a number of other brands i had never heard of like kumu, Sailor brand, leolani, loprinzi, and many many more. Are these also reputable companies that are worth looking at? Some of them have absolutely stunning aesthetics, but do they play well? Are they well built? Do they last long without any problems? I know that Uke Republic kinda has a name going for itself with selling quality ukes, but would it be safe to consider these brands? Also, how would these brands compare to other brands in their pricepoint,( i hear Kala is the best for the cheaper laminate ukes).? I really appreciate it guys!

Loprinzi is made in USA by the loprinzi shop in Florida. They make very nice ukes I have one myself and not disappointed in it at all. The woods and finish done is impeccable and is a beauty in person and an outstanding depth of sound.
I would say the loprinzi I have is definitely a couple of steps or notches higher in fit/finish than most of the standard solid uke ohanas I've played. I would say quality too, but i'm not too sure as I don't know how to measure that in terms of wood and construction as i have no empirical knowledge in that area, but based on feel, seems to be.

Sailor brand I think they are in some way associated with loprinzi as they have almost same specs as some loprinzi models. I heard they are great as well, I wouldn't be surprised if loprinzi is contracted out to make sailor brand ukes.
Don't know too much about kumu or leolani however best bet is to contact Mike himself at the store and ask him all your questions, he is very approachable and easy to talk to.

Last edited:
LoPrinzis have always been very highly regarded. I believe that the Sailor Brand is made by them, but using some laminate woods to come in at a lower price point.

LoPrinzis have always been very highly regarded. I believe that the Sailor Brand is made by them, but using some laminate woods to come in at a lower price point.

Not really "laminate." They use "veneers" over solid wood as used in many fine stringed instruments world wide. I have played equivalent Sailor and LoPrinzi cedar topped long neck sopranos side by side and I thought the Sailor sounded just a little better, as did others standing near me.

Thanks for clarifying. I knew it was some type of "sandwiched" product.

You can go to Leolani's website to see what they have. They have very nice ukes which are imports, and the last time I talked to them, they were in the process of adding a line which they will build in the shop in Hawaii. Lehua is a brand made in Portugal and designed by Bob Gleason of Pegasus Guitars and Ukes. Check out Pegasus if you want to see beautiful...and expensive... stuff! Lehua is through the body strung Aquila strings on Acacia blackwood rather than Acacia koa.

my_birthday_uke.jpg
I have three ukuleles that are keepers--just three ;)

These include two Moore Bettah tenors and my LoPrinzi soprano. If you're looking at a LoPrinzi, I can testify that mine (built in 2003) is a real winner in tone, playability and quality build. I switched to fluorocarbons on the LoPrinzi and that little ukulele truly holds its own in a crowd, despite being a soprano. It's not simply a "loudness" but a clarity of sound and a tone that has a richness belying its "small" size. I love my LoPrinzi--perhaps you'll love one, too!

Last edited:
I'll vouch for LoPrinzi. They are some fine instruments.

Check with uke dealer George Mandalou in Florida for a deal on ukes. I think he's retiring and has had some real deals, including LoPrinzis

Name: George A Mandalou
Telephone: 7279671975
E-mail: n3epj@yahoo.com

It may make no difference to you, but for me , the nut width would be a determining factor. Some narrow nuts make it difficult for me with certain chords .(for example Dm)
That little extra space is a big help for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom