Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: my ukulele progress

Today I practiced my chords. I played random chord progressions, and I was able to do it without looking and with speed. I was using my metronome and it was set to adagio, I think, and I changed chords every other chime. I am still getting over the bad habit I set for myself in holding the ukulele. I practiced standing today and the angle is very different with the strap. It is good because I cannot see anything but I am still re-learning the angles.

The same holds true of playing modes. My fingers tend to drift because my wrist is situated differently.

I also played around with my brass slide and an open C tuning. I played both a nice little shuffle as well played around the 12th fret, doing some stuff that I have culled from cigar box guitar videos

I have been having fun with some open-chord tunings. The latest I have been toying with is the A. I like it because it is orderly. Going from left to right (as any sane person would) the ukulele strings are the root note, the third, the fifth, and the root note, an octave up.

I have noticed that some people are obsessed with their strings and are unapologetic about their fickleness. I don't really understand it. To me that's my ukulele's voice. I would never change someone's voice; you just deal with the quirks. Same thing with the ukulele. I keep to the brand of strings that they first had because the change would be unsettling. You get used to a uke's voice. It is part of its personality and part of the thing you come to love. For example, my kamaka came with nylon strings. I prefer fluorocarbon, but I wouldn't change it because that's my kamaka. In a way, I wouldn't want it any other way. I like having to adapt and compromise. For instance, nothing sound more boring to me than the concept of the jihadist's reward in heaven of 97 virgins. That's too easy. Give me a spirited, sassy woman. I have changed strings on my Oscar Schmidt and it doesn't seem to have a personality anymore. I remember what it used to sound like and what it sounds like now, and those things aren't the same. Of course, my string-theory is predicated on having quality instruments which come with quality strings that deviate from each other only in nuances. I'm not talking about getting a crappy $50 ukulele that has intonation problems. I'm talking about getting, e.g., a Mainland mango tenor which come with Guadalupe strings, I think. Those strings would be different from my favorites, Brown Worths, but I would embrace that difference. Or, If getting the ukulele by mail, I would request that they put brown Worths on it before sending it.

Thread Information