NUD!!! Kamaka HF-3 Anniversary

MainlandGal510

Reaction score
Is it normal to keep checking the FedEx tracker & holding my breath whenever I hear a truck drive by???!??!?

Waiting on my holy grail to be delivered today!
And the bonus was the hubby didn't bat an eye when I said I had one on the way!! (*fist pump)

Will def post some pics. I enjoy other people's NUD pix and I can tell they're so happy!

Thanks for indulging my anticipation.

Is it normal to keep checking the FedEx tracker & holding my breath whenever I hear a truck drive by???!??!?

Yes, it's normal. Even when I haven't ordered anything, I think I do it sometimes. LOL.

I bet you're going to be thrilled with your new arrival. Is it an anniversary model? Either way, enjoy!

Edit: Oops, I see in the title that it IS an anniversay model. Good thing I'm not handing out awards at the Oscars, or there would be another mistake there.

Totally normal, and I could feel the excitement in your writing ... so great. Congratulations, I am sure you will love it. I love my HF-3L 100th.

It's here! It's beautiful & impeccably clean inside & out.

Sounds so, so sweet, complex and louder compared to my other ukes. Now I get it. I did play some Kanileas & Koalohas before ordering. I just preferred Kamakas.
I also love the striping. The sides show more copper highlights. The A string might be cut close to the edge of the fretboard & found myself fretting air. LOL Maybe I have to adjust my technique. Haven't plugged in the pickup yet, soon. I'm keeping the stock strings for now but I like Worth Browns, Fremont Blacks & Oasis normally. I've seen sets with "wound 3rd & wound 4th". Anyone know what are the purpose of wound strings on a ukulele?

Here's some pix otherwise it's all a hallucination. Thanks for stopping by!
kamakaFrnt.jpgKamakaBck.jpgKamakaTopSide.jpgKamakaSider.jpg

Very nice. I like the sides as well.

What are the purpose of wounds strings on a uke? Beats me. I don't like 'em. :p

But seriously, it's another option that some people like. In general, wound strings will give you a brighter sound and will be thinner than an equivalent unwound string. Some feel they can get a more "balanced" sound and feel with a wound 4th and/or wound 3rd. If you like them, great. If you don't, don't hesitate to try something else.

Well, I presume that one of the wound strings is a low G, and the other is the C string. Some people prefer a wound C over a plain string that might sound a little "thuddy." A wound string will resonate longer.

Congratulations, that's a very lovely one! :shaka:

Congrats! That prettier koa than often seen on Kamakas.

Beautiful shimmery, stripey, koa! You're right, those sides are stunning.

Enjoy your gorgeous new Kamaka!

Congratulations, a 100th Anniversary Kamaka is something to be very proud to own. As others have said yours has some especially beautiful Koa. I have a 100th Anniversary baritone and it is one of my all time favorite instruments. Enjoy it for many, many years.

Beautiful! It looks like you have a very special Kamaka there. Enjoy!

Thanks for all the great advice pros/cons from everyone here at UU. I was greatly enabled (in a good way!) to go for what I wanted. One more cool thing I found out was the date stamp on the inside block says Dec 31 2016. Truly the last day of their Anniversary year AND somebody worked on a Saturday on this puppy!! Ok I'll stop gushing and go play my uke. :shaka:

You're uke is fantastic looking I'm very impressed. Enjoy it in health.

I ordered a set of Southcoast med heavy gauge strings for my soprano bc I wanted to try the wound c. C string especially in aquila is very thick and unmanageable and is very thuddy and dead if you fret it imprecisely.

Very Nice! Congrats on a stunning uke!

Congratulations and happy strumming. Kamakas are awesome.

I picked up a 100th Anniversary HF-3 Baritone at Gryphon Music in Palo Alto, CA this past Friday. Its wood is very similar to yours with the dark koa with darker streaks, I couldn't be more pleased with it, even if I did hit Fri afternoon traffic on the way home (4 hours to Sacramento area vs. 2 hours to get to Palo Alto.) It sounds wonderful and is so easy to play.

Until now, I haven't paid any more than $100 for a uke so I'm suffering a little from sticker shock but not from buyer's remorse. I have my dad's 1957 vintage gold label soprano that originally sold for $25 and it's certainly held its value.

I'm told by Kamaka that they're getting ready to ship a batch of 100th anniversary ukes to dealers that have them on order, so, if you're interested, start calling dealers and get on their list, there won't be any more. I felt very fortunate to find the baritone within driving distance.

Thanks for all the great advice pros/cons from everyone here at UU. I was greatly enabled (in a good way!) to go for what I wanted. One more cool thing I found out was the date stamp on the inside block says Dec 31 2016. Truly the last day of their Anniversary year AND somebody worked on a Saturday on this puppy!! Ok I'll stop gushing and go play my uke. :shaka:

i believe they accepted orders up until Dec 31 2016 for their anniversary models.
and hence possibly some weren't actually made that day.... but in fact some made in 2017.

Top Bottom