Guitalele album coming soon!!

drbekken

Reaction score
Hi, there, y'all! Here's a track from my upcoming solo guitalele EP/album FIELD RECORDINGS 1-6; GUITALELE IMPROVISATIONS.
It will be available online worldwide on March 15. Download or streaming! Yeah, baby!

The track is Field Recording #6. The instrument is a plain Yamaha GL-1 guitalele with Southcoast's 'Eddie Freeman Special Guilele Strings'... They allow for an E to E tuning, with strings 4,5, & 6 one octave up. It gives a wonderful re-entrant effect. Hope you enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/dr-bekken/field-recording-6wav

Last edited:
Enjoy I did. Thanks Doc. You're one of the best musicians here.

Very nice. I doubt I'll ever go back to 6 strings but if I did, this would be the way. FWIW, I'm not seeing these strings listed on the SC site anymore.

Very nice. I doubt I'll ever go back to 6 strings but if I did, this would be the way. FWIW, I'm not seeing these strings listed on the SC site anymore.

I believe you have to get the SC extra heavy gauge uke set, and then ask for a 5th and 6th string on the side. Dirk has some solution to this. Great strings, great sound!

I listened to this
https://soundcloud.com/dr-bekken/field-recording-6wav
Then a singing came on. It's too early I was still half asleep. I guess it's from another recording right after yours. LOL

I still can't get over how great it sound - the instrument and the playing. It sounds even better now on the IMAc.
Thanks!! The vocal coming after my track is a recording by fellow UU member John Bianchi; a masterful player!

oh yes. oh yes. can't wait. #1 worth the price of admission alone.

have you listened to any Daniel Bachman, doc?
reckon you would dig what he does.

have you listened to any Daniel Bachman, doc?
reckon you would dig what he does.

I have heard him, Jon. He is GREAT. I'd like to get some of his stylings over to the guitalele. That is hard, but it's part of what I want to do. The Southcoast strings and the E to E re-entrant tuning helps me somewhat. Other sources of inspiration are the mighty John Fahey, Peter Lang, George Winston, East Of The Valley Blues (guitar duo from Toronto), Rev Gary Davis, Blind Blake and all the great acoustic blues guitar masters of the last century. I never managed the 'real' guitar very well, even if I had a handful of classical lessons when I was a kid. The guitalele is different though...I really enjoy playing it. This recording is done on a shoestring (read: no) budget, and I'm happy with it.

Last edited:
mmm. john fahey. a hero of mine even though many like to put him into the drug-f'ed category, it doesn't wash. he was of a time and place when he played and he played his soul out. have always loved gary davis. thank you for the word up on the Canadian duo. Off to check them out now. you already know how much I adore your music mate. I am very much looking forward to what you do on these pieces. #1 was a perfect introduction and appetiser for me. I have a guitalele but the string spacings are painfully narrow, even more so than a normal git fiddle. I find myself gravitating more and more to classical guitar these days.

you are inspiration to me brother. and always will be.

Thank you, Jon!
Well, Fahey was a genius, no matter what drugs he might have taken. His playing is eternal.
Like you, I also think the Yamaha GL-1 is quite cramped on the fretboard. It gets easier when I concentrate on playing it for a while. I reckon those expensive guitalele/guilele instruments they have in Hawaii Music Supply (can't remember the brand name) have wider necks, but unless HMS sponsor me (unlikely, to say the least), I'll never get one of those, hehe. However, it's part of the charm for me that I play one of these widely available, inexpensive instruments. They are for the people, you know...like you and me, those un-rich... Our riches are in the music. Impossible to give a fixed value...

Last edited:
Top Bottom