2017 Los Angeles Int'l Ukulele Festival

Revised festival schedule
Please take a look at the schedule page; I shuffled things around and I think you will find the different levels distributed a bit better throughout the day and I've made room for one more workshop: fingerpicking. I thought I'd throw that class into the mix since no one else is planning to do one. Click here to view the updated schedule: http://www.kalakoa.com/ukulele/schedule.html

We'll also have stringing workshops at the Dietz Bros and McCabe's booths (thank you GHS!) and FREE beginner lessons at the Academy of Music for the Blind booth throughout the day!

Mitch, you've added even More! When will I ever get a chance at that good food? I'm already going to have to split myself for the workshops at the same time. Sounds like another fun day.

I've uploaded handouts for Ukulenny's and Lil Rev's classes on the Workshops page http://www.kalakoa.com/ukulele/workshops.html
Waiting on some more; whatever's not up there by Saturday will be available in the workshops.

Also, slight time change on the hula workshop and the presentation by the Peruvian group, schedule page has been updated.

That seems like a bit much for a single day... my head would really hurt by the end of the day. :2cents:

I went to UU in Bend this summer and it was three days long (but real content was on the first two days) so is there any chance of doing a stretched version in the future???

-- Gary

I love the single day approach...easier for vendors, too. I’m flying in that morning and out that evening. And I don’t even have to miss teaching a single day of school!

I love the single day approach...easier for vendors, too. I’m flying in that morning and out that evening. And I don’t even have to miss teaching a single day of school!

Please stop by the Luthiers for a Cause booth and introduce yourself! See you there! Eddie

Added the fingerpicking class to the workshops page: Mitch Chang - Fingerpicking
Tired of just strumming all the time? "Arpeggios" lend a nice lullaby-classical touch to any given piece and you don't even have to learn new chord shapes. May as well learn fingerpicking from someone who's been classically trained! Suitable for any level - if you've been doing it for a while, might help you break out of some bad habits

In general one can go and talk to McCabe's or Dietz or any of the builders about setup; we'll have stringing classes 10am & 2pm @ Dietz Bros booth, 9am & 1pm @ McCabe's booth

Looking forward to this great event! Mitch does a great job organizing these festivals, and this one is so close to Los Angeles. If you live nearby, don't miss it!
Uke Leash has a booth inside the plaza near the stage area. We will have Uke Leash Straps (half straps, Guitar Style full straps, Banjo Uke straps), t-shirts, jewelry and circle of fifth guides. All items are made in Los Angeles.

–Lori

Why not? Bring 'em *just in case*!

For tomorrow: whether you purchased E-ticket or chose will-call, be sure to check in at the front tent so you can get your wristband which you'll need to enter into the workshops and performances area.

Food:
LALA Catering will be serving food all day from the kitchen inside the Ken Miller Auditorium and food trucks Serendoggity & BrewWings will be serving up lunch 11am-2pm. Tasty Block shave ice all day too, yum! I just had my first Dole Whip just last week and loved it.

Be sure to download handout for the classes (some may not have) here: http://www.kalakoa.com/ukulele/workshops.html

See y'all tomorrow! FYI we're getting kinda close to capacity so even though tickets will be available at the door tomorrow, I'd recommend buying 'em by tonight.

All those attending remember to stop by the Lutheirs for a Cause booth. And get your LFAC shirt. ;-) We’ll be right next to the Kinnard booth, where Kevin Beddoe will be showing the Kinnard LFAC uke, along with a number of other gorgeous Kinnard ukes.

PS I’ll have my unigrain Blackbird Farallon

Really looking forward to tomorrow. My uke has been getting dusty from non-use (too much OT at new job and longer commute and toddler staying up later and later have killed my music time), so I'm really stoked to be getting an entire day alone with it tomorrow.

See you all there! :)

Just back from dinner, what a great time!
We got to met and hang out with so many STARS, right at our table.
It was pretty over whelming.

Everyone was so nice.
UkuLenny was a live wire, and that dude can sing.

The Festival looked like a major success.
Every class we went to was SRO. Admittedly all beginner oriented.
All the performances were astonishingly good.

Our lunch from the Brew Wing lunch truck was some seriously ono kau kau.
It was a great day, and we are already planning to go next year.

Thanks Mitch and everyone who made it possible.

Thanks Mitch! Great fest, had a lot of fun!

Yes. Thanks Mitch! Congratulations on a very successful festival. I had a great time. The workshops were fantastic. I attended a number of them. All were really fun. The concerts were stellar.

And although I dropped my Sauerkraut hot dog before I got a bite . . . I did win a 20 fret Islander Acacia laminate soprano!!!!!! I was in a wheelchair so I had another attendee go up and get it for me! Don't know his name but, "thanks bud" whomever you are!

Top Bottom