Season 264 - The Sounds of Simon

I sort of had it in mind to do this, but then The Martins did such a splendid cover that I wasn't going to bother. However, this song has a particular significance to me because of a long Internet correspondence I had with a dear friend, who had a distinctly dodgy keyboard. "V" was not a good letter, and I would invariably have become "Al" by the end of the conversation .... so, Betty, if you're out there, this is for you! (And, everyone else, please excuse me whilst I make a complete idiot of myself!)

It's the bastard progeny of a Uke and that six stringed instrument that we dare not name ... ie.... it's a Guitalele.

And yes, here in Catalonia I constantly hear that I sound like Ian Anderson. It could be worse, they could have said I sounded like ......

(FILL IN THE BLANK with your favourite singer who can't hold a note ).

I very rarely do covers, but this season you tempted me. Here is my take on my second favourite song from "Bookends" (after AMERICA)

CHORDS & LYRICS in the YouTube Description

Sorry for the retread but I don't think I can do this too much better.
Janet's excellent, "He was a Most Peculiar Man" made me think of it.
I think they're similar.

Hey all :) I'm a huge fan of Simon. Garfunkel too. Wonderful harmonies and interesting songs. I've got something going on with my throat this week so I did my best on one short song. Here is the one I did this week and a link to a better version. Bonus links too for other Simon songs that don't count, just sharing for the week.

Here's the one I did for Season 100 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCfbrEbDiGM
Apparently I did another for Season 213.
Here is Sound of Silence as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8deguyCPAo
This one turned out good...Under African Skies...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW5arduS1Y4
Wish I could add more to the week but with my voice it's not gonna happen.

Nice one, Janet! (There are loads of "just coughs" around here in France at the moment. But you don't need to sing ... just do an instrumental!)

Come on Seasonista's! There are plenty more songs of Paul's to cover. Get with it!!! (big grin) Got any requests for instrumentals?

Bookends is worth a look. Apart from the obvious - the title song, there are one or two other songs that would work well as instrumentals.

It's the bastard progeny of a Uke and that six stringed instrument that we dare not name ... ie.... it's a Guitalele.

And yes, here in Catalonia I constantly hear that I sound like Ian Anderson. It could be worse, they could have said I sounded like ......

(FILL IN THE BLANK with your favourite singer who can't hold a note ).

It's kinda accepted as a close relative of the ukulele.

I can think of worse than sounding like Ian Anderson.

Bit of a marathon listening session this evening but some star performances. I've enjoyed every song I've listened to. There is such a wealth of great material in Paul Simon's songs and you folk can take them and make them work on the uke brilliantly.

Keep them coming. Remember, the song limit is lifted so if you've done your three, you can bring some more.

The Andean worldview considers nature and people as a whole, a whole in which they both live related to each other in perpetuity. Legends say that the condor never dies.When it is old, they claim, it returns to its nest in order to be reborn. Others say that when its strength wanes it flies to the highest mountain peak, folds its wings, pulls in its feet and lets itself fall down to the depths of the canyons where it ends its days.

Traditions tell that the Incas left Machu Picchu before the arrival of the Spanish because they saw a condor fall dead in the house of the Sun Virgins. This was interpreted as an omen that announced the destruction of Tawantinsuyo, the Inca Empire, they say,because the condor was and is the messenger from the world above. It is the messenger of the gods.

I don't think anyone's done this one yet. There's a town north of Boston called Groveland. For the last 25 years, any time I've gone there I've started singing, "I've a reason to believe we all will be received in Groveland."

When I was a little kid, I didn't want to grow up to be a famous singer. I wanted to grow up to be one of the guys singing backup harmony, which is why I always paid more attention when the Nashville Edition was singing harmony for some famous guy on Hee Haw. To me, the harmony vocals are what made the song. So I found myself trying to listen to Garfunkel's voice more. I haven't listened to this song in a long time, so I'm sure I didn't imitate him correctly. But I can't try to cover a S&G song without overdubbing some vocals.

This is something I've been redoing on and off for most of the day. Finally done. Now, on to an instrumental. El Condor Pasa is a super duper easy instrumental and I use that one to teach chorded melody so I already know it. But I think I'll try something else.

For now here is a video I spent quite a long time doing ages and ages ago. Pre Seasons even! Hmm, I see a pink lion with a hat all of a sudden. Perhaps I've been working too long!

H E L P ! ! ! Hi Geoff! I think you have left my latest "offering" off the Playlist ... I should have slotted in between Berni and Gary Country. (If this was intentional, I should not be at all surprised ... just deeply hurt; sob! sob!)usa-american-flag-gif-3.jpg

Last edited:
Paul Simon's first solo album was in 1965 and was recorded in London while he was over here touring the folk clubs. It was acoustic, just Paul & Guitar and recorded with a single mic. so pretty basic but it contained a number of songs which he later re-recorded with Art Garfunkel and included on the Sounds of Silence and Parsley, Rosemary & Thyme Albums. This song was one of them and was incorporated into his arrangement of Scarborough Fair - it was in fact the "Canticle" part of the track's title.

Top Bottom