What size for traveling?

davemchine

Reaction score
I am a novice and have been practicing with my Kala Solid Acacia Tenor Ukulele which cost around $380. I'm planning a trip to Kauai for this summer with some of my cousins and we want to play and sing down at the beach. I'm thinking I should take a less expensive and possibly smaller ukulele with me. I've been considering the Kala Travel Uke's in either the concert or tenor size. So I have a couple questions. 1) Which size should I buy and 2) How should I travel with it? My overnight bag is 20.5"x13.5" (interior) so neither is going to fit inside the bag.

kala ka-sstu-c concert travel ukulele 24"x8"
or
kala ka-sstu-t travel tenor ukulele 26"x9"

First, don't worry about it fitting in your bag. You have 2 carry ons. Any uke can be one of those. With a soprano, I put it in my backpack...making it part of one of my carry ons!

Second, make sure you it's a laminate. you don't want to have to worry about humidity.

Third, buy one you fall in love with and enjoy playing!

I frequently fly with a full-size tenor (in a big Oahu arch top case) and never had a problem on flights to Hawai'i (or even around the continental US). Frankly, I take my "good" ukulele with me--but if this is a good "reason" (read: excuse) to acquire another ukulele, who am I to give you any other idea? ;)

Personally I'd take a Brüko thin-bodied soprano, but that's what I play day-to-day at home anyway. I'd enjoy the sense of rebellion playing a German-made ukulele in Hawaii. :cool:

Being as you are new to the uke and own just a tenor the jump to soprano could be weird for you. The much smaller size feels very different, even tenor down to concert is noticeable. The sound is different as well. You should spend some time in music stores playing those sizes first to see if you like them. That is the biggest consideration, I travel with a full size tenor in a hardcase because that is what I like to play.

My daughter has a soprano and it is too small for my fingers. I haven't had a chance to try a concert size yet. Thanks for your help. Can you tell me how you take your ukulele onto the airplane?

Can you tell me how you take your ukulele on to the airplane? I'm unclear on where it would go. Thanks.

Can you tell me how you take your ukulele on to the airplane? I'm unclear on where it would go. Thanks.

I've always put mine -- concert or tenor -- under the seat. The only way I'd put one in the overhead compartment is if it was the last thing loaded in (and the first one out), it was in a hard case or well-padded gig bag (such as a Mono), and it wasn't a ukulele whose demise would make me cry. Or if I was ordered to put it in the overhead compartment, I'd do so, and then later on maybe try to sneak it out and put it under the seat.

I've always put mine -- concert or tenor -- under the seat. The only way I'd put one in the overhead compartment is if it was the last thing loaded in (and the first one out), it was in a hard case or well-padded gig bag (such as a Mono), and it wasn't a ukulele whose demise would make me cry. Or if I was ordered to put it in the overhead compartment, I'd do so, and then later on maybe try to sneak it out and put it under the seat.

I carried a tenor Outdoor Uke onto Southwest with it sticking out of the top of my backpack. Backpack went under the seat, uke went along the wall next to Mom's feet because there was no way I was going to get it shoved into the overhead bin in a way I'd be comfortable with. At that point, it didn't even have a case yet. It was wrapped in a plastic bag!

'Just flew Southwest last week with my tenor in the wooden Oahu case; stowed it like I always do: In the overhead *across* from where I sat, fitting it in at a slight diagonal. That way I can keep an eye on it while others are boarding and anticipate what's also going into that same overhead section; if needed, I stand up and adjust its placement or warn someone if they're about to jam their rollaboard into it. I follow the same procedure on my Hawaiian flights, it fits right up in the overhead in both the inter-island and cross-Pacific planes. I prefer using the "drop down" overhead luggage compartments in the center on the big planes, it fits best there. Key is positioning it *across* from your seat so you can keep on eye on it during boarding (I'm typically an early boarder). I also only carry my ukulele and a backpack for my carryon items. The backpack goes under my seat.

I've had an HA flight attendant offer to put the tenor in its case in their own "tall" closet, if I preferred, but I've always kept it nearby.

Does that help?

My daughter has a soprano and it is too small for my fingers. I haven't had a chance to try a concert size yet. Thanks for your help. Can you tell me how you take your ukulele onto the airplane?

Just as Tonya said a hard case is essential, I carry it on and then it just goes in the overhead compartment.

Hard case essential, and the Stewardess will put it with their stuff it is a biggun like a Tenor or Baritone. Non issue really, they always see the instrument come on and react accordingly. Wife's Soprano goes under the seat.

First ,pick the size you like to play...don't worry about taking any size on a plane. Even a tenor is small and as mentioned above, you do have two carry on allowed. I always take one of my Pono tenors in Oahu hard case and put it the overhead baggage compartment. Also as mentioned until everyone is seated, I'm watching my Ukulele until we are I the Air. I have never had an issue with other travelers or the airline when taking on my tenor with me.

Thank you everyone for your responses. Now I'm wondering if I should just stick with my tenor for the trip. I have the Polyfoam Case that sells for $44. Do you think that would be adequate or should I upgrade to the Oahu hardshell that has been mentioned here? It sells for $50 at http://www.theukulelesite.com

In all seriousness... you're going to the Ukulele holy land, you should absolutely not take one with you.

You should, however, bring one back. I mean, really, talk about the worlds best excuse to buy a new Ukulele!

Scooter

I actually use a gig bag for my tenor, since it is smaller and easier for travel, but of course does not offer much protection, so one has to be very careful.

I store it in the overhead and make sure that nobody stuffs things on it or too tightly around it. Have not had any problems, but it may depend on the flight you are on in terms of how crowded the overheads are. But, I have had no problems.

See others mention about storing it under the seat. If a tenor or even a concert, then probably will stick out quite a bit, so so may depend on how strict they are on that flight and whether they would let that pass.

Last edited:
I would upgrade to Oahu HSC over the poly foam case. They are smaller and protect better. I also like the suggestion, don't take anything if going to Hawaii and bring home a new one in the case.

Just a thought to consider. I currently play a long neck Soprano; the mix of a Concert size scale and smaller Soprano size body works for me by giving a bit more space for fingers than a Soprano and taking a bit less bag space than a Concert - sounds fine too.

Top Bottom