What hardshell case for a Tenor Risa Bean?

LUDGR81

Reaction score
Been looking for something a little more sturdy than the gigbag that it comes with. However, it does have a signature shape that I'm not sure would work with all hardshell cases.

Anybody tried pairing a Risa Bean Tenor with a Tenor hardshell case and have any luck?

On top of that, hardshell case recommendations? Brand, type, dehumidifier somethings, etc...?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Because of shape, you may have to find a tenor banjo uke hard shell case, or a mando case if you can find one that's 27" inside. Mine fits perfectly in my Pono tenor size gig bag, so I'm thinking a Nice Kaces rigid foam tenor size case would work perfectly. This one's 30", so it is "highly likely" that the "bean" would fit. Only one over 27 1/2" so far. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epiphone-Ca...389996?hash=item1c7e9e552c:g:34AAAOSwTM5Yu2r4

Here's a rigid foam case that might work. http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-or-F-Styl...580324?hash=item4d555c16e4:g:idEAAOxy4~BSTFMT

Last edited:
Thanks, Phil! I'm looking into those and considering alternatives based upon your recommendations. I really appreciate it! If anyone else has suggestions, please feel free to add on.

So I went with the TKL MC403 that I found on sale. I thought that I'd post this because I could not find the interior measurements anywhere and the company wouldn't send me them. I like the case. Sturdy and good looking with a nice balance. I did have to make some modifications which I point out
later.

These are the "factory" measurements that they give out, these are the external measurements: 31 x 12.5 x 4.5 inches

Length = Longest part, Width = Widest part, Height / Depth = Back of case to Top of case that closes on hinges.

Length Internal = Total Length 29 inches + about 3/4 inch of "give" in the padding. 30 inches is absolute maximum and too big to fit.
Length of Body Box 15 1/4 Inches
Length of Center Neck Bracing and 5 1/4 inches
Length of Head Space 9 1/4 inches
Width Internal = 11 1/4 inches
Height / Depth Internal = 3 inches (bottom part) + 1 1/4 inch (top part of case that closes over) = Total Internal Depth = 4 1/4 inches

My experience: I bought for a Risa Bean Tenor Electric Uke because nothing has a fitted shape for that, not even close. The case was at least 1 1/2 inch too deep as this is obviously made for an acoustic. I bought 2 18 inch X 18 inch pillowcases with grey faux fur on them and filled them with cotton pillowcases for the head box and with cotton thin blanket for the body case. Stuffed those in there until it fit just right.

How does the Risa Bean Tonor fit in there? OK. It's a little short but not enough to cause any problems. It's also a little too much width in the case, but with the shape of this uke, it was really hard to tell exactly how wide it was. The neck brace helps keep it in place width-wise but there isn't that much extra space on the sides. The depth was totally off and there is no way that I would recommend putting a Risa Tenor Bean in one of these without adding padding. This is just a problem with Electric Ukes in general, they're not as deep as an acoustic and there aren't enough of them to warrant separate "thin" cases for them.

Note: The handle is offset to the heavier part of the case. I like this, it carries "flat" when it's in your hand, the light end (head) doesn't want to point at the sky because of weight balance difference in the case. The locking mechanisms are adequate - not absolutely perfect, not horrible but they do the job nicely while looking good. No locks can be used without severe modification if you're worried about people getting into your case.

Hey you just gave me this info on Amazon for my Duke. Thanks again!

Top Bottom