Booming C string

Fab

Reaction score
Bought my first solid wood uke just 2 weeks ago, a Pono AT.

It's night and day compared to my previous uke but I don't like how the C string tends to boom especially when played open.
It's also the only string that's wound.

Any tips to reduce the booming or other strings that might be a good match for a Pono AT?

Thanks! Will try some Worth Brown. Of course it seems to be the only brand I can't buy locally.

Thanks! Will try some Worth Brown. Of course it seems to be the only brand I can't buy locally.

If you can get Worth Browns or Clears definitely give them a try, you'll be very happy. I own a few Ponos and they are great instruments, congratulations.

The wound third is so different in feel and sound that some people can never get use to it. That's OK because there are so many great strings out there to try.

Last edited:
I've run across this on a couple of ukes. I don't know if you already have fluorocarbon strings or not, but for me it was a trial and error in trying different string diameters. This may not be something you want to do, but I picked up a digital caliper and tried different strings. I will say that Worth Browns cut the booming sound playing an open C string, but the lighter one sounded too thin and the heavy gauge resulted in too much of a thud tone, especially a fretted D. An Aquila Red may not be a bad alternative.

If you go this route, keep track of the string diameters so you will start to see a relationship between thickness and tone. Unfortunately, you will need to keep the string on the uke long enough for it to settle in to get a good assessment. Welcome to the wonderful world of strings and the quest for tone.

John

new strings, perhaps fluorocarbon.
I'm experiencing the booming C, also, but it has fluorocarbon strings already. Otherwise a nice instrument, but I'm not sure my ears can handle it. It almost comes across as a drone string when open.

Top Bottom