Saved from the fire

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
We had put too much time and money into this instrument to cremate it so I totally own this reject. It happens to the best of us - we get to the finishing stages and suddenly the light catches a defect we had missed.... in this case, a bending crease. Oh well :)

I have a couple of creases in a small guitar I made. Let's just say they are age wrinkles.

Stupid non-luthier question- is the crease merely cosmetic or does it represent a structural issue like prone to crack there later?

I personally don't see anything wrong with that. But what do I know? It's a really neat looking uke. Wish I could hear it, no speakers on this work computer.

Not sure what you mean by the "crease". I speak American so it was hard to understand what your assistant was saying and I couldn't see anything wrong along the waist but the camera didn't linger. Was this a crease in the binding?... Anyway the thing sounded very good.

Pete, that uke looks killer! Beautiful wood. It shouldn't be too hard to find a home for it. I donated an electric guitar to a school for the deaf and blind where a friend was volunteer teaching. I didn't think to take the $2000 charity tax break, but I could have. Its a good way to get full value for an instrument that would otherwise be a second. Plus, it feels good.

Pete, that uke looks killer! Beautiful wood. It shouldn't be too hard to find a home for it. I donated an electric guitar to a school for the deaf and blind where a friend was volunteer teaching. I didn't think to take the $2000 charity tax break, but I could have. Its a good way to get full value for an instrument that would otherwise be a second. Plus, it feels good.

John, I've understood that only the actual materials cost could be deducted. At least that's the deduction I take when I've donated instruments. It's a great idea BTW and always appreciated by the recipients.

John, I've understood that only the actual materials cost could be deducted. At least that's the deduction I take when I've donated instruments. It's a great idea BTW and always appreciated by the recipients.

I'll have to check that out, Chuck. Thanks. It doesn't sound fair, though. What if I donated something I paid retail for? I'm going to investigate further.

My understanding is that if you paid $2000 for the guitar (fair retail price) and donated it to the organization, you can right off the donation at the full price, since you didn't make it. If you made the guitar, you can't right off anything but the materials as Chuck says. Same goes for any art work, paintings, sculpture, etc.,

I should add that it also depends on the organization, is it non-profit, etc. You can't right off the gift if you just give it to a friend or store that does not qualify for a tax exemption. Check out the laws, don't assume anything.

I'll have to check that out, Chuck. Thanks. It doesn't sound fair, though. What if I donated something I paid retail for? I'm going to investigate further.

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by the "crease". I speak American so it was hard to understand what your assistant was saying and I couldn't see anything wrong along the waist but the camera didn't linger. Was this a crease in the binding?... Anyway the thing sounded very good.

The wood gets crushed, the 2"x4" thread might have some other examples, spruce does not like to bend in a tight radius. The inside fibers of the waist are fine, the outside fibers are compressed. You can sand it out to some extent but there is a 'kink' in the wood. The fibers are still whole, it just looks like a fingernail marked the wood. Structurally I would not worry about it, if it were that bad it would have been obvious at an earlier stage. Some others look for perfection, I would have no qualms about this instrument.

Well it sold to a very happy client in the UK who seems to purchase pre-owned Howletts. Got a bragain I think :)

Top Bottom