Anyone Seen George Elmes' Latest Batch of Videos?

Ukettante

Reaction score
Did he sell his soul to the devil at a crossroads at midnight? Dang dang dang! He proves time and again that the soprano is the little engine that could. I'm sticking to this size!

He's one of the few players who I wish would put out instruction materials but don't. I for one would love to know how he got started. The guy seems very low key, can't find much online about him.

yes I have. he's a superb player.
if you like the soprano scale, check out azo bell too.

He's one of my most prominent soprano inspirations. Fantastic player, definitely got the stuff a professional is made off.

Yep. Azo Bell and George Elmes. I've been following them. But Mr. Bell doesn't seem to have too many videos out there. I think I've seen just about all of them on Youtube. Wish there were more.

And I'm aware George is on the forum. I just figured if he enjoys his privacy I should leave him alone. But perhaps I'll pm him to invite him to share a bit about how he got started in ukulele with all of us. I'm very curious myself. If he declines, I still respect the heck out of the guy.

George is an amazing player.

I also can't recommend enough the videos of our own drbrekken (on YouTube as Dr. Brekken.)

He's a multi-instrumentalist but his soprano and baritone uke videos are outstanding.

Any one have info on what uke brands/models George and Azo play? Truly inspiring playing.

I believe George favors a Takumi and Azo is known mostly for Brukos as far as I recall.

Not sure of the specific models, but both play soprano primarily, if not exclusively.

Hello guys! thanks for the kind comments! I am always on UU so don't be shy :) yep I use Kiwaya and my main uke is a Takumi TS-1M Soprano. G

George, your videos are highly inspiring. I assume they are, but are those original compositions? Because that adds an entirely other dimension of skill and beauty.

Do you use re-entrant tuning exclusively?

George, your videos are highly inspiring. I assume they are, but are those original compositions? Because that adds an entirely other dimension of skill and beauty.

Do you use re-entrant tuning exclusively?

I have used Low G before but pretty much re-entrant soprano

I am normally not starstruck, and "starstruck" may be too strong of a word to use here, but I've admired Elmes' playing for a while now, and therefore have to confess that I am super impressed with your precision. I must be around 15 years older than you, but look to your playing as inspiration and as a standard. (s**, I can't believe I'm talking like a teenage fan . . .) If there is ever a battle of the ukulele sizes, you really champion the soprano, and have validated my loyalty to the soprano as well.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your videos. It has improved my playing. I'm working my way through "Rockin' the Uke."

And, "Hey Ma, look! I'm posting in the same thread as George Elmes' is in! In fact, my post is right after his!"

Thanks, man.

I'm sorry to admit I've never seen any of George's videos (yet). I have been enjoying Azo Bell, I stumbled onto him (it didn't hurt) just two days ago. Wonderful!

Well, George, you said to not be shy, what do you like better about your Takumi than your Kiwaya? Where did you get all your T-shirts ��? Just kidding about the shirts.

I am normally not starstruck, and "starstruck" may be too strong of a word to use here, but I've admired Elmes' playing for a while now, and therefore have to confess that I am super impressed with your precision. I must be around 15 years older than you, but look to your playing as inspiration and as a standard. (s**, I can't believe I'm talking like a teenage fan . . .) If there is ever a battle of the ukulele sizes, you really champion the soprano, and have validated my loyalty to the soprano as well.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your videos. It has improved my playing. I'm working my way through "Rockin' the Uke."

And, "Hey Ma, look! I'm posting in the same thread as George Elmes' is in! In fact, my post is right after his!"

Thanks, man.

thank you, and yes the soprano is king for me, so I'm glad you are loyal to the king :)

Well, George, you said to not be shy, what do you like better about your Takumi than your Kiwaya? Where did you get all your T-shirts ��? Just kidding about the shirts.

The Takumi for me gives a more neutral, fuller sound compared to the kiwaya, but the kiwaya gives a real 'true' soprano sound which makes it better for certain pieces, usually the smeck stuff. I normally go through phrases where I use the kiwaya more than the takumi and vice versa. Depends on the mood and the tune I'm playing.

The Takumi for me gives a more neutral, fuller sound compared to the kiwaya, but the kiwaya gives a real 'true' soprano sound which makes it better for certain pieces, usually the smeck stuff. I normally go through phrases where I use the kiwaya more than the takumi and vice versa. Depends on the mood and the tune I'm playing.
Thank, but darn it, I was hoping you'd say the Takumi is just prettier.

I really heard what you were talking about with the Takumi. As a matter of fact I sent one of your Takumi videos to a friend stating "this is the best sounding soprano in the world"........I think it has a lot to do with your playing as well :D

I saw some of your videos for the first time today, George. I saw you listed in the suggested artists thread someone made. You're a great player. I very much enjoyed them. Definitely great examples of what can be done with a soprano uke. Keep up the great work!

Top Bottom