The better spot for strap.

I was going to start a new thread, as I just (literally "just"--packed up the tools a minute ago) put strap buttons on my two last ukuleles without strap buttons.

[I still have my sopranino Caramel, but am not sure I will put strap buttons on it].

These two instruments are my Ukadelic (plastic body, wood top) Stars and Stripes and new (to me) Outdoor Soprano.

I bought buttons from eBay some time ago, to match the hardware on various instruments (silver, gold, and black). I installed buttons on all the wood ones, and even sent my Tenor Outdoor ukulele back to the company to have buttons installed on that instrument! Incidentally, they use a screw and lock nut to allow the strap button to hold against the polycarbonate ukulele.

So...I'm braver now than I was...so got out my drill for pilot holes (a MUST), taped the surface, marked where to drill, and drilled.

On these plastic ukuleles, I put super glue on the threads and on the bottom of the strap button (where it makes contact with the ukulele), and then screwed in the buttons.

Everything screwed in nicely--no loose turning or cracking sounds, and the super glue seemed to set nicely. I think this is going to work out well.

Granted, most of my playing is on tenor or my concerts (after the thread about the Kala C and SCG models today, I have been playing my Makala MK-CE and thinking about what a nice ukulele it is...starter instrument as it is), and my sopranos get pulled off the wall when I feel like they have been neglected. I have been playing the new Outdoor soprano a lot as it is new to me, and I also just swapped strings to fluorocarbon Martin 600s. That Outdoor has friction tuners (upgraded) and it was fun to replace the strings, although tuning is MUCH more sensitive than with geared tuners!

But like most others here, I like the strap buttons on the bottom of the ukulele and the underside of the neck on the side of the heel. Outdoor ukulele installed the button on the top of the shoulder of the instrument, on my side...not ideal...but it works. So no complaints.

By the way, for straps, I have been purchasing from strapsforchords.webs.com (in the UK) and really like their products (the owner put together a Dr. Who strap for me, as well as a Halloween strap) as well as from Shelley Mai at Bonanza Ukulele. I know that Sarah Maisel also makes straps.

in my own journey, I have moved from no strap to non-drilling solutions like Uke Leash, The Hug Strap (I would put the Mobius in that category, although I never owned one), and now I am into traditional 1" ukulele straps and have them on a lot of my ukuleles.

I now have straps on all my ukes mostly just on the base of the body with the other end tied to the headstock. Like Jim Yates, I attach the strap between the tuners as attaching them just behind the nut gets in the way of my left hand. I tried just looping the strap over the right shoulder and it didn't work for me, the strap just slides off. Another example of strap position being dependant on anatomy. Two ukes where I don't tie to the headstock are my baritone and my six string tenor and in both cases I have fitted a strap button to the heel of the neck.

I too get my straps from Straps For Chords. They're well made and she has some attractive designs and most of mine are music themed in some way. She has an ebay shop on ebay.co.uk traci56guineapigs. I don't know if she has one on ebay.com but it may be worth checking. I normally buy from her ebay shop as it's the easiest way for me.

I use a strap button at the heel for all of my 4 string ukes. I like the balance of it and it makes the fretboard feel more accessible without the strap there.
Though I recently purchased a Kala 8 string solid acacia. The big slotted headstock with all those pretty tuners weighs so much that I've attached the strap to that for the sake of balance. Problem is that where I currently have it attached, right behind the nut, it interferes with my big ol' paws on a few chords (like Fm and E7 in the first position for example). I've gotta play with that a bit still.

I use a strap button at the heel for all of my 4 string ukes. I like the balance of it and it makes the fretboard feel more accessible without the strap there.
Though I recently purchased a Kala 8 string solid acacia. The big slotted headstock with all those pretty tuners weighs so much that I've attached the strap to that for the sake of balance. Problem is that where I currently have it attached, right behind the nut, it interferes with my big ol' paws on a few chords (like Fm and E7 in the first position for example). I've gotta play with that a bit still.

That's why I put a strap button on the heel of my 6 string tenor - because the tuners are too close together. All my other ukes have the strap attached to the headstock between the tuners and I make a little attachment strap to fit on the headstock from some strapping and press on buttons sold for denim jeans. You can buy them commercially but I make my own.

I reckon if you use a tie on bootlace, you can attach the strap between the tuners on your 8 string.

I have both and would not consider either to be a disadvantage. If there is a button on the heel? Good. If there isn't? Good.

I also have both. New and lesser played ukuleles have the strap tied at the headstock between tuners. However, I install heel buttons on my favorite ukuleles. I prefer playing with the heel location, because I'm very sensitive to having my fretting hand touch anything, let alone a strap. Especially when playing cowboy chords by the nut. My arthritic thumb can't press the back of the neck, and it bumps into a headstock secured strap. Never would I tie it near the nut; just asking for frustration. It's gotta go to the space between tuners, or I'm going to be cussing. LOL

When sitting, I don't always use a strap; unless it feels more comfortable to elevate and/or anchor the ukulele. Kind of a belt and suspenders sorta thing, I guess. My flea is especially slippery, and I'm not using a strap on it even when standing -- just haven't gotten around to it yet. It's not that bad to hold strapless, but I'm sure to change my mind once it gets its proper strap. May compromise and try the clip on, but it will be cockeyed due to the round, waistless body. Can't let go of it either, or the Uke will flip. LOL

I'm also sensitive about having long sleeves brushing the strings on my picking hand.

Last edited:
Hi zztush - straps definitely are an anatomy dependent item. I think the reason I have a hard time holding a soprano as a female is not an issue found with most males.

My sister had a problem as she was physically maturing while learning to play the accordion - I can still hear her yelling "Ow!",
"SOB!", whenever she compressed it.

Top Bottom