Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's play E7 instead of E!

Thanks for the nice words.
    If you can remember these three lines of ascii characters, fretboard maps and scales will never be very hard for you.

C C# D Eb E F F# G Ab A Bb B C

CDEFGABC

ABCDEFGA

The first line is called the "C Chromatic scale", apart from being a template for all chromatic scales, it shows the notes along your C string. So if you write:

G
    C
    E
    A

down the page and fill in the chromatic scale after each letter, you have a fretboard map for GCEA tuning.

The second line is a template for every major scale, apart from being the C Major scale. You overlay it on the chromatic scale template to get the notes in a major scale.

C D E F G A B C Major template
    C C# D Eb E F F# G Ab A Bb B C Chromatic template
    A Bb B C C# D Eb E F F# G Ab A A chromatic scale gives A B C# D E F# G# A as A major scale (sorry they don't line up well on this editor, but you can get the idea)

The third line is the Natural Minor template and you use it like the major template to find the notes in natural minor scale.

So when you know the notes in the scale, worked out from the three templates and your fretboard map, you can look at making a chord. Which is as easy as D F A C. So you look at the C major scale template:

C D E F G A B C and want a chord to go with D or a D type chord, so you start at D and pick the notes D (skip E) F (skip G) A (skip B) C = DFAC, find DFAC on your fretboard and you have a chord to use with the D note in the melody. Or a D type chord to go with a C major scale. It is actually called Dm7, but you don't really ever need to know the name, when you are famous you can pay one of your people to write out the chord names, all you need to know is the names of the notes and where they are on your fretboard. Then you can arpeggiate, punctuate, shape etc chords as you feel like.

So even if you are old and easily bored, you can learn three ascii sequences and discover a lot about your fretboard and uke and music without ever opening a book or looking at the tangle, sorry circle, of fifths. Eventually, you might need a book to get to further steps, like learning the naming convention for chords so you can work out the notes without a chord chart.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    C D E F G A B C Major template
    C C# D Eb E F F# G Ab A Bb B C Chromatic template
    A Bb B C C# D Eb E F F# G Ab A A chromatic scale gives A B C# D E F# G# A as A major scale
    (sorry they don't line up well on this editor, but you can get the idea)
    ['code']['/code'] tags (# icon on the 'Go Advanced' menu bar) are your friend, Bill :-)

Code:
    C    D    E  F    G    A     B  C    Major template
    C C# D Eb E  F F# G Ab A  Bb B  C    Chromatic template

A Bb B C  C# D Eb E F  F# G  Ab A    A chromatic scale gives
    A    B    C# D    E    F#    G# A as A major scale
    Argapa custom piccolo | Argapa custom resonator soprano | Rob Collins custom soprano | Kavanagh custom concert | Ashton sop. | Clearwater SB electric concert | Kala PU-SSTU travel sopranissimo | Kala PU-SMH sopranissimo | Kala SSTU-BP soprano | Kala C/MU concert "The Mighty Uke"! | Kala SSTU-C concert | Kala SSTU-T tenor | Korala UKS-310 sop | Harley Benton BCJ100-FMH SB electric baritone | Lanikai S-B Baritone | Clearwater "long neck" baritone | Maholo sop. | Tiny Tangi

Too Drunk To Pluck

To my shame, I've only recently discovered 1402 for E. Not that I've ever had a problem playing E as 4442 (or maybe because I've never had a problem playing E as 4442). But, having discovered it, I like 1402 E in a teaching situation, because what 1402 is useful for is showing the relation between 1202 E7 and E.

If you've ever noticed, (nearly) every time you switch between a triad and a 7th chord, you move one finger 2 frets down one string (C 0003 -> C7 0001; A 2100 -> A7 0100; G 0232 -> G7 0212).

1402 is the E-chord shape that 1202 is the 7th of. So if I want to play E as 1402, I go to the E7 shape first, and then use my pinky to get to the 4th fret C string.
    Last edited by redpaul1; 04-03-2017 at 08:42 PM.
    Argapa custom piccolo | Argapa custom resonator soprano | Rob Collins custom soprano | Kavanagh custom concert | Ashton sop. | Clearwater SB electric concert | Kala PU-SSTU travel sopranissimo | Kala PU-SMH sopranissimo | Kala SSTU-BP soprano | Kala C/MU concert "The Mighty Uke"! | Kala SSTU-C concert | Kala SSTU-T tenor | Korala UKS-310 sop | Harley Benton BCJ100-FMH SB electric baritone | Lanikai S-B Baritone | Clearwater "long neck" baritone | Maholo sop. | Tiny Tangi

Too Drunk To Pluck

Quote Originally Posted by redpaul1 View Post
    To my shame, I've only recently discovered 1402 for E. Not that I've ever had a problem playing E as 4442 (or maybe because I've never had a problem playing E as 4442). But, having discovered it, I like 1402 E in a teaching situation, because what 1402 is useful for is showing the relation between 1202 E7 and E.

If you've ever noticed, (nearly) every time you switch between a triad and a 7th chord, you move one finger 2 frets down one string (C 0003 -> C7 0001; A 2100 -> A7 0100; G 0232 -> G7 0212).

1402 is the E-chord shape that 1202 is the 7th of. ...
    ... and of course 0402 is the E-minor chord shape that 1402 is the major of, and 0202 is the E-minor 7th chord shape that 1202 is the E (dominant) 7th of.

And for completeness - and if you want to get jazzy - 1302 is the E maj7th, 0302 is the minor-major 7th (Em/M7), 0201 the half-diminished 7th (aka Em7b5), and 0101 the fully diminished 7th (Edim7, or simply Edim), chord-shape corresponding to 1402 E.

You'll notice in all of these examples that the only constant is the --0-, the root note played on the open E string.

Too Drunk To Pluck

.... and take away the number you first thought of!

Seriously, that's interesting and very helpful, redpaul - I hadn't spotted these patterns before. Thanks.
    Latecomer to uke but loving it! Baton Rouge U108S soprano, Kiwaya KS-5 soprano, Uluru II concert low G, Barnes & Mullins banjolele UBJ2.

I find the standard form of E a real struggle. Small hands and fingers getting stiffer with age is the problem. I can just about manage it but it's a problem so I admit I prefer to seek alternatives where necessary. I agree that using E7 as an alternative is not always right. In fact you can always substitute E for E7 but you cannot always substitute E7 for E. If I need E in standard tuning I tend to go for 4447 or 444x. Eb is easier as you can leave the G string open so 0331 is a correct alternative to 3331 and it's a lot easier to finger.

If need be, I'll use a capo or an alternative tuning. Playing in E on a baritone superficially seems OK but the B chord in DGBE is the 'same' as the E chord in GCEA so it's not always a good alternative. If you are playing a song in E, capo 2 and play D shapes (regardless of tuning) gives you the key of E and that's what quite a few guitarists I know do.
    Geoff Walker

I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

at least, not yet.

I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

My music theory instructor who now plays uke, insisted that I learn the standard E chord, and not cheat. So I am trying to. I don't much care for the sound of E. 1st I learned the Eb chord, which makes it easier to learn the E.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

I just prefer to practice the E chord each time I play. Stretch your fingers before playing.
    You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing

Tanglewood TU13M concert called Kalea
    My facebook- http://www.facebook.com/lozzie.green

An alternative is to use three finger chords. They are incredibly useful and totally movable. Eventually using the fourth string just happens. However even when you can play all four strings the 3 string chords are very useful.

I had never thought about 1402. So I just tried it and my fingers cannot maneuver that. Maybe with practice but I'm already proficient in the barred 4447 and the 4442. But I will admit I don't like that chord shape. And playing in the key of D is never fun on ukulele. It just isn't.

Aha! I just discovered an easy cheater way to make the E chord based on my newfound knowledge of 1402. You can play one with the index finger mute the next string with that same index finger leave the E string open and place the ring finger on the second fret of the A string. It will take some practice but I like this cheater method. We can call it 1X02. And you will be playing EG#B the complete Triad.
    KoAlana Sapele Concert -- now known as the KoAloha Opio
    Mainland Mahogany Concert - my knockabout jam ukulele
    Mahalo Pineapple Soprano -- the one that started it all
    Barron River Soprano Spruce/Wandoo -- perfection in all ways
    Kala Travel Soprano -- tiny profile with BIG sound
    Blue Frog Maple Soprano - Beautiful sonorous sound cannon

Thread Information