Gotoh UPT Pegs

bazmaz

Reaction score
Hi Baz,

First of all, thanks for all the effort you put into your site. It is much appreciated.

So how do you like the UPT tuners in comparison to the originals on the Martin?

David

Can you do a video on how to change geared to friction?

@bikemech - I love the UPT's. But that isn't to say the standards on modern Martins are bad - far from it - they are very decent friction pegs. But I wanted a ukulele with UPT's and the Martin seemed the obvious choice. Obviously different, but dont add any noticeable weight.

@debussychopin - it's exactly the same process really - the only difference with removing gears is you are likely to leave a screw hole where the geared peg was secured. As I say in the article, i have done this and personally just live with the hole. If the hole bothers you, you need to plug it with narrow dowelling. But the process of fitting the tuner in the main hole is exactly the same. Sometimes you need to widen it sometimes you don't.

I thought UPTs required a reamed hole?

Do you mean a tapered hole? If so, nope - straight shaft that requires a hole somewhere between 9.7mm and 10mm.

Do you mean a tapered hole? If so, nope - straight shaft that requires a hole somewhere between 9.7mm and 10mm.
Ah, good to know, thank you. Is it pegheads then that requires a tapered installation?

Yep - Pegheds do.

In fact - the tapered reamer I mention in the article will do just that

Great review. I have Gotoh tuners on my Duke banjo, and I didn't know anything about them. My main uke has Pegheads, I really like 'em.

Top Bottom