Finally! Drying Out and Building Again

sequoia

Reaction score
Talk about swamp ukes, it has been like building ukes while standing in a pond of water. Everything has come to a grinding halt for the last couple months. Finally things have dried enough that I'm going to start finishing out my latest.

This one is going to be a stunner I think. I think I started it back in November before we got hit by 50 inches of rain. Did the final sand out and masking today. Gonna start finishing tomorrow. Burl wood. I think that figure is gonna pop. Will see in about 3 weeks. Weather permitting.

DSCN7505.jpg DSCN7506.jpg

Looking good, I'm sure it's gonna pop!

When you said you're "Finally drying out"..I automaticly thought ??? Well never mind what a thought !!:cheers:

Last edited:
You know Ken when I read that line it did sound like I was going to be... drying out... in that sense. Fat chance of that. Just got back from Albion River Inn and can guarantee that the rain has let up but I'm not drying out if my consumption of ale is any indication.

How was bending burl? With the grain kind of all over the place, was it difficult?

To be frank, it was more of a problem in my mind than it was of the wood. In the end it bent just fine. It actually was quite polite. Burl bends just fine ... Still it got quite tense at one point. Just part of the fun. Wait till you see the figure. Gonna be a stunner.

Very nice sequoia! Burl is one of the most interesting wood patterns there is.

Sequoia,
What kind of rosette did you install??
It looks like you masked it with tape??

Very nice sequoia! Burl is one of the most interesting wood patterns there is.

Yeah, it looks cool but is insanely, crazy to bend. I managed to pull it off but there was a place on the lower bout that was not exactly plumb which made cutting in the binding a bit of a challenge. Basically I would not recommend this type of wood unless you thrive on anxiety. Gonna look really cool though.

Nah it's turquoise rosette, that's why!

Ok.. Ok.. I saw the green tape on the fretboard and didnt look close enough on the rosette.. looked the same at a glance...
I better start paying better attention...
Thanks CML

Just as a quick aside, I use a lot of masking tape while building for general masking off as well as repair of fine tear outs and those little voids that need a little sawdust and glue. You know what I mean. I find this green tape the best. It is extremely thin which leaves a small lip and the stickiness is just right. It is called "Frogtape" and is not inexpensive but worth the small extra cost considering how little of it gets used. Plus! Martha Stewart recommends it. How much more than that do you need?

http://frogtape.com/

When you said you're "Finally drying out"..I automaticly thought ??? Well never mind what a thought !!:cheers:

Yep...I thought that too. Must be wishful thinking while I'm here at work :wallbash:

Top Bottom