Molly Lewis- Oh My!

bikemech

Reaction score
Maybe I'm a bit late to the party.

I remember the first time I heard of Molly Lewis. I saw her in a video in which she performs "Tom Cruise Crazy". On that video, which won the title of Video of the Year in 2007 as awarded by Ukulele Hunt, she performs a cover of the Jonathon Coulton song. It is a wonderful performance and a deserved award. And then I just forgot about her...until tonight.

Tonight I was browsing through the Ukulele Hunt videos and came across a performance of one of Molly Lewis' original songs, entitled "Our American Cousin". I was just stunned. This young lady can sing, play and write. Her talent, like her energy and obvious youthful joy and zest, seem boundless. The lyrics are mesmerizing and incredibly witty and her musical delivery is so very engaging. "Our American Cousin" has the vibe of something written for a play but I don't know what its origins are.

I was so taken I had to watch more. So I listened to two more originals: An "Open Letter to Stephen Fry" and "I Pity the Fool". And I'll look for more tomorrow.

Do yourself a favor, follow this link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f1doSfY2pQ That'll get you started.

I deleted this post from the Uke Forum

update: My neighbor listened to "Our American Cousin" this morning and informed me that the setting for this song is Ford's theater and is written from multiple viewpoints. The sound of the stick on the wooden box? A gunshot. How did I not see that? Duh.

Last edited:
I remember her first video "hit", now at 770k views. I think she was 13 at the time. Fun!

Even more views on that one from people searching Brittni than Molly's original "hit" song, An Open Message to Stephen Fry. Her talent as a lyricist is unbounded.
https://youtu.be/7n_hkeYGcT0

Last edited:
She is wonderful for sure. I still laugh and enjoy her song about Myspace. If you haven't heard it yet, you must!

I just found the MySpace song. My kids were into MySpace while they were in high school. I think they'll get a kick out of it. She is so clever.

Top Bottom