Season 265 "Golden Age of Ukulele"

IamNoMan

Reaction score

Season of the Ukulele 265 “Golden Age of Ukulele”

I like old songs! This Season we are going to celebrate any song written or recorded between 1877 and 1939. In 1877 Thomas Edison patented the first phonograph that could reproduce actual sounds. In 1879 three Portuguese cabinet makers landed in Hawaii and started developing Ukulele. At the 1939 World's Fair nylon was introduced to the general Public. Got it? Good. Three song limit for the playlist.

On Friday March 17, is Saint Padraig's Day. We're going to have a celebration of our Celtic or Gaelic Heritage. Everybody's Irish on St Pat's so no excuses! You may post any appropriate videos you care to, the only limit is You must post on March 17th or until March 18, noon your local time. Ukulele is optional! Party Pieces Welcome.

Original songs appropriate in some way to either Theme are acceptable. If this isn't inspiration enough you might try tackling “The Gilded Age” - The Gilded Age in United States history is the late 19th century, from the 1870s to about 1900. The term for this period came into use in the 1920s and 1930s and was derived from writer Mark Twain's 1873 novel “The Gilded Age: A Tale of Today”, which satirized an era of serious social problems masked by a thin gold gilding. Alternatively Charlie Chaplin's Movie Modern Times might inspire your Muse.

No prizes this Season but I will donate at a dollar for every song on the playlist to the Shriners to help their program for crippled Children.

Have fun!

Rules:
a) Ukulele should be the main instrument though other instruments are fine in addition.
b) Start and finish midnight Hawaii time on Sunday as usual so 8 days.
c)Multi tracking, plugging in etc. are all OK
d) Three song limit:“Golden Age of Ukulele”
e) “Pan-Gaelic Celebration” All rules are off except posting time must be March 17, 2017 until March 18, 2017 at noon your local time.

Potentially useful links:

Table of Years in Music
What is the time in Honolulu?

Playlists:

“Golden Age of Ukulele” Playlist

“St Patrick's Day Ukulele Ceili” Playlist

It looks like the East Coast USA is in for a nasty Blizzard the next couple of days. In the event of an extended power outage I have set the main playlist to "Collaborate Mode"

Collaborate Golden Age Playlist

Collaborate link Ukulele Ceili Playlist

1. Energize link.
2. clickadd video.
3. add your URL.
4. Click Add Video.

Some More Potentially useful links:

Music from 1866 to 1899
Technically any songs before 1877 must have been recorded for eligibility but what the Heck!

Top Songs of The 1900s

Top Songs of The 1910s

Top Songs of The 1920s

Top Songs of The 1930s

Last edited:
Gonna be reaching back in the archives this week, Tommy. Great theme!

Looks like it promises to be both a educational as well as entertaining season, Tommy! We have some unexpected travel demands for most of the week so I'm not sure if I can get anything done to contribute, but I will certainly be doing my best to drop in for as much listening and viewing as possible. Good luck with your Season! It should be a good-un!

Good theme, Tommy! I've already narrowed it down to 10,000 songs I want to do!

Awesome theme Tommy. I've been nonexistent. We have had some major family turmoil. I've tried to follow along but really haven't been in the Seasons mood. Try to get something in this week.

Most excellent theme, or should I say "themes",Tommy! (I initially misread it and thought we had to produce a song about nylon!)

I have a real busy week this week guys. I doubt I will extend the limit but there is always St Pat's Day! :shaka:

Oh I totally get being busy and setting limits! I'm just saying that there are so many wonderful songs to choose from! :nana:

And of course I'll be bringing some St. Pat's!
New-York-049.jpg

Ok Tommy this is a great theme. When I look at the playlists I get a little confused. I understand the hawaiian songs, the golden age songs and the Irish songs however I don't understand the table playlist? Am I missing something?

BTW, Randy get away from my songs!

Ok Tommy this is a great theme. When I look at the playlists I get a little confused. I understand the hawaiian songs, the golden age songs and the Irish songs however I don't understand the table playlist? Am I missing something?

Knock Knock

Who's there?

Ding Dong

Hang on!

Who is it?

Ding Dong!

Hang on!

Who is it?

Ding dong!!!..........:wallbash:

Walks away feeling stupid after clicking on playlists that aren't playlist! :rolleyes:

Crazy that you record in 1080 then degrade to bad quality 8mm
with over exposure and flicker, and then to add insult to injury
the audio is altered to vinyl scratch and hiss, just cos you want
to approximate something from 1917 :)

Oh and I chose 1917 becasue this year Finland celebrates 100 years of Independence.

And the smartphone notification chimes in at the end

Last edited:
Great theme Tommy both of them! Due to my Irishness and my love of old timey stuff for the uke!

Also for the week that's in it - with Paddy's Day coming up - I will continue my mission to eradicate the female name (or meat burger) from having anything to do with St. Patrick. See attached image :)

Screen Shot 2017-03-12 at 11.14.58.jpg

Last edited:
Good Morning Seasonistas!

I have edited and labeled the intro post to lessen the confusion I hope, Linda?

Iam Pennsylvania Dutch. I write the way I talk. we organize things differently than many folks. We also begin and end sentences useless prepositions with. If you notice such things please ignore them once!

Top Bottom