Season 265 "Golden Age of Ukulele"

It looks like the East Coast USA is in for a nasty Blizzard the next couple of days. In the event of an extended power outage I have set the main playlist to "Collaborate Mode" Here is the link Iam supposed to share.

1. Energize link.
2. clickadd video.
3. add your URL.
4. Click Add Video.

If you don't see your video on the list something has gone awry. Seemed to work for me though.

Last edited:
Like I said in the intro...I cannot believe I even tried this...and in C. But I had to. Every cell of my body was telling me to make sounds, so this is the sound I made. Danny Boy. 1910.

Charlie Poole, much like his (almost) contemporary Robert Johnson, lived hard and died young. He left some great standards of old timey and bluegrass music (Don't Let Your Deal Go Down among them). Here's one he wrote about the assassination of President McKinley. Charlie added different verses almost every time he recorded it, and Bill Monroe adopted it and added more.

A brief history of Charlie Poole and the North Carolina Ramblers: http://northcarolinahistory.org/encyclopedia/charlie-poole-1892-1931/

Here's a much better version of White House Blues played by much better musicians at Merlefest 1991 (Jerry Douglas on the resonator, BTW). https://youtu.be/DWe_ZkhUozw

Long time no see! Have some free time to finally record something, and for an awesome season! Here's Wildwood Flower, written 1860 and recorded in 1928 by the Carter family. This is the first song I played at our local bluegrass jam session a few years back...

Season 265. "Makin' Whoopee!" (Words by Gus Kahn and music by Walter Donaldson (1928) )

Tommy, what a great Season this is! Thanks so much for hosting! :)

And on a side note, exactly one year ago it was Season 213 - It's A Long Island! and I was hosting for the very first time.
Hard to believe how fast the year has gone.

Wayfaring stranger from 1816, not sure of it's roots, still up for debate I guess. This is one of my all time favorites...added a little 12 string guitar.

St James' Infirmary Blues

A song with one of the most mysterious provenances ever:

StJamesMap1867.gif

Fifty-five years before Herman's Hermits recorded this, Harry Champion performed this in England's music halls.

You make a recording and find someone else has just beaten you to it... However;

St. James Infirmary has its origins in an 18th Century Broadside called "The Bucks Elegy". It appeared many times in Broadsides during the 18th and 19th centuries always with the same story of someone struck down with an ailment which, reading between the lines, was most likely syphilis - regular reference to pills or salts of mercury is the clue. It crossed the pond as The Streets of Laredo where the ailment was a gunshot wound and also wound up in New Orleans as St. James Infirmary but by this time the story had become vague. A constant feature apart from death was the request to be buried with what amounts to full military honours or something very like it and that is a remarkable constant of all the versions of a series of songs collectively known as the Unfortunate Rake or the Rake's Lament.

Paul has suggested that St James Infirmary was in Westminster. The Bucks Elegy refers to Covent Garden which locates the song in London, so St. James Infirmary could well be the Westminster version. About the same time as the Buck's Elegy, the song was known in Dublin as the Unfortunate Lad, though Irish versions at that time were more fragmented. Another version I have refers to The Lock Hospital which someone suggested might have been in Liverpool. Perfectly plausible given Liverpool's status as a port and the song could have crossed the Irish sea from there as the evidence, such as it is, is that the Buck's Elegy is the earliest version. Somehow the reference to St. James Infirmary got lost in some versions but not in others. The perigrinations of these songs is not always easy to tease out even with the evidence of publication as Broadsides were rarely dated.

There have been many recordings of this song over the years but for me, Louis Armstrong's 1929 version with his Hot Five is a classic.

Last edited:
"Goodnight, Irene" or "Irene, Goodnight," is a 20th-century American folk standard, written in 3/4 time, first recorded by American blues musician Huddie 'Lead Belly' Ledbetter in 1933.**

Lifted from Wiki pedia cos I is cooking spicy pork and rice ...with chorizo, red peppers (Bell peppers ) . Lerds of chilli and spices and yummy ......Oh did I mention the Beer ....and you is all invited !!

Good evening folks! Its been snowing for twenty hours now in Central PA and the wind finally picked up to a full scale blizzard. I've spent my day sleeping, playing ukulele and oh yes we had a snow removal block party outside. It is really difficult to play ukulele when your hands get cold! Iam most gratified by the diversity of songs You'all have been bringing to the Seasons. Keep up with the good work!

Iam noticing a growing number of suspiciously "Irish" looking tunes appearing on my YouTube Feed. I will put the "Saint Patrick's Day Donnybrook" Playlist on "collaboration mode" early on Thursday. the link will be in the Introductory post. Feel free to upload your videos directly on to the playlist as well as here.

Donnybrook was a medieval Fair in Dublin. It was an eight to fifteen day fair at Donnybrook market from 1204 to 1855 C.E. By the beginning of the 19th century the fair had become more a site of public entertainment and drinking than a fair proper. On Friday lets just have fun without any brawls or unpleasantness.

Greetings

Omg the storm was crazy. Ice,sleet,freezing rain,and snow have left the cars entombed like mummies. Sigh. No recording for a few days. Wiped out.

Ciao

Glad our East Coast friends are reporting in and seem well. Here comes number two, and those of you who know how I got my Martin will like this one from 1910.
Let Me Call You Sweetheart- Leo Friedman and Beth Slater Whitson. 1910.

No need for cryptic titles! No Copywrite YAY!!!!!!

Top Bottom