help with uke decision

Those aren't finish cracks and may be a defect characteristic of spalted (i.e., rotten) wood. As this is a laminate uke I doubt poor humidity control had anything to do with it. It should have been sold as "B stock" with the price and the buyer's expectations set accordingly.

Yeah, those aren't finish cracks, that's bad wood! Unless they offer you really nice compensation I would definitely send it back! Nice, being a total investment well under $100.

Because it is laminate, there is probably less chance that it will crack completely through...and also less likely that it is a humidity problem. It probably bothers you enough to ask the question, and as the newness wears off, you'll still have those defects, so that might be your best guide. Unless it played and sounded far beyond your expectations, I would send it back.

John

It's a defect. That might be why you got the"upgrade." With all the ukuleke products on the market I'm sure you can find something else you would like. This is a bad way to start your ukulele Journey. Unless you can get it for half price, what could be a good reason to keep a defective product?

Can you put a light and a mirror inside to see if the crack goes completely through the wood? There are several ways to make the outside crack disappear and not harm the sound of the instrument.

Can you put a light and a mirror inside to see if the crack goes completely through the wood? There are several ways to make the outside crack disappear and not harm the sound of the instrument.

It does not go all the way through

I vote for returning the ukulele. Why settle for something you are not happy with?

ok made up my mind (thanks for all the input)...it is going back.

Here in Canada there are very few reasonably priced Kalas left.

I was thinking between the Ka-TEM or even the Luna Tattoo Tenor. Are there any others around that 200$ price point that you guys would suggest over these two?

You are probably very frustrated at this point. You are a new ukulele player and you have to send your first (your one and only uke) back to the store!! Argh....

You need an instrument to play. If there is truly nothing you can get locally, the general consensus will be that you should buy from Mim, or Hawaii Music, or Uke Republic. You will get a ukulele that has had a final set up but you might have to wait a while. You can always go Amazon and have it in two days with an option to return. It might be tempting to order one ukulele from a trusted dealer and while you wait for that to arrive you could, with 2-day shipping, be playing an additional ukulele you purchase from Amazon.

I would go Kala before Luna.

Have you got it yet? Enjoy. I'm sure you made the right choice.

A solid wood body is miles better than a laminate with the fanciest top veneer.

I was able to play the smht along with the ziricote laminate and the mahogany blew it out of the water. Such a rich warm tone. The ziricote seemed flat in comparison. Actually i prefered the sound of the ka-tem over the ziricote

A solid wood body is miles better than a laminate with the fanciest top veneer.

It depends. The laminates by Kiwaya will leave a lot of solid wood ukes in the dust, both in sound and playability. But they also cost as much as solid ukes.

It depends. The laminates by Kiwaya will leave a lot of solid wood ukes in the dust, both in sound and playability. But they also cost as much as solid ukes.

Agreed. I have a Kiwaya laminate and it is awesome- great tone and a neck like butter. But it doesn't fall in the fancy top veneer category, which aims to attract buyers based on looks.

I must admit that my mind was pretty set on buying the ziricote when I walked into the store. But as soon as I played this solid mahogany one I fell in love with the mellow sound and even if the looks did not appeal to me I could not ignore the tones that it gave off

I must admit that my mind was pretty set on buying the ziricote when I walked into the store. But as soon as I played this solid mahogany one I fell in love with the mellow sound and even if the looks did not appeal to me I could not ignore the tones that it gave off

A wonderful exercise you went through bravo-05 since you started this thread.
The sound will never be ignored
No matter how much bling is on board.

I always fall for the mahogany sound. The wood also has a beauty to it. It's not bling but it's beautiful patterns that to me look like herringbone. And a subtle Shimmer to boot.

May you have many moments of musical Joy.

Top Bottom