Decent concert ukulele for experienced musician/uke newbie?

demitasse

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking to buy a concert ukulele. I'm a pretty experienced musician (fiddle, mostly) so while I'm a uke "beginner", I don't want to buy something cheapy and frustrating. I'm probably looking at spending max $200 USD, but that's flexible. I've done a bit of research, but haven't really honed in on any candidates, and am curious what you all might suggest!

Thanks a bunch!

I would consider the flea or fluke ukuleles (I probably prefer the flea). http://www.magicfluke.com/Default.asp They are extremely playable with great action and intonation. They are really a great bang for the buck.

Mainland ukes are great, and just slightly above your price point. A mahogany concert is 229.00; I'm partial to the red cedar/rosewood model, but that's higher, at 279.00. Mike sometimes has models with minor defects at a discount; it's worth asking.

http://www.mainlandukuleles.com/

Apart from Mainland Ukes (which are terrific bang for your bucks) - have a look at Kala Travel Ukes - they are thinner in the body but have terrific sound - and are actually more comfortable to play than a lot of the 'normal' deeper body ukes!

Make sure you give them a go in the Music Store! I think you'll be surprised at the sound & build quality!

I was lucky enough to buy 2 new ones last week that were just AUS$250 (about US$200 each) including the B Band pickups (usually about AUS$350)!

I will make one into a Low G for my melody/TAB playing & keep the other High G for regular strumming, as I don't like the Low G for strumming.

THey are replacing two others that I already have that I had added KK external pickups to (without pre amps) so I am very happy that the 2 new ones will have the Pre Amp already fitted. SO much easier when performing with sound systems.

$200 only does buy you a cheap-ish ukulele, so I feel the most crucial part is to get it from a place that includes free set up of the instrument, unless you're crafty enough to lower the action, fix intonation, etc). The cheaper a stringed instrument is, the more important this aspect is, I feel. If you're in the US, good places are HMS (theukulelesite.com), Mim's Ukes, Uke Republic, probably others too, like Mike of Mainland.

I'd try and snag a used Pono mahogany concert. I have the MCD-E and it is my main "go to" uke. My main practice uke is a KPK solid acacia concert cutaway that looks and sounds like it cost hundreds more, although it's a little heavy......so what, not that heavy. Aiersi, who made them for KPK now sells them under their own name and the same concert is well under $200. There are a few more extremely happy KPK owners here who may chime in.
Not sure there's another new, sub-$200 uke that can touch it tone wise. Mine required no setup work. I also have the soprano concert neck pineapple that may be leaving my stable soon.

http://www.aiersiguitar.com/category/koa-pili-koko-ukulele-for-sale/

Last edited:
$200 only does buy you a cheap-ish ukulele, so I feel the most crucial part is to get it from a place that includes free set up of the instrument, unless you're crafty enough to lower the action, fix intonation, etc). The cheaper a stringed instrument is, the more important this aspect is, I feel. If you're in the US, good places are HMS (theukulelesite.com), Mim's Ukes, Uke Republic, probably others too, like Mike of Mainland.

Ive got to go with Mivo on this. You stated you are an experienced musician so intonation and playability will matter a lot to you. Kala has a concert size with a solid spruce top (most important for good sound) with a laminate mahogany body that is good sounding and in your price range. If you can stretch to around $269 the solid cedar top with laminate acacia body is a real winner and gets lots of love around here.

Just checked and HMS ( Hawaii Music Supply) has it in stock, KA-ACP-CTG at the above price.

Last edited:
Also - keep an eye on the Classifieds here as you may find one you like the look of at a much cheaper price than new - and this way, you can aim at a 'higher market uke' without the bigger cost!

Often people move ukes on as they find another one that they prefer to use for all different reasons ..... most are in tip top condition - and are often delivered free within the USA. You can always ask them to put a sound sample/video up of them playing it, so you can see & hear how it plays ......

Happy Hunting!

I would consider the flea or fluke ukuleles (I probably prefer the flea). http://www.magicfluke.com/Default.asp They are extremely playable with great action and intonation. They are really a great bang for the buck.

I second this recommendation. The Magic Fluke Company offers a really well built instrument. They are set up wonderfully right from the factory with great intonation. Most other brands in your price range are not very consistent right out of the box, especially as you start to play further up the neck. They also have outstanding customer service. Good luck with your search!

As a player of many different concert ukes - I've got to agree with the flea/fluke recommendation. Great value for money - they sound great and are quite durable. Also, as a violin player the friction pegs that you'll have to get to stay in your budget shouldn't bother you as much as they do guitar players.

If you decide the flea/fluke isn't traditional enough in shape or materials - I second the agreement that buying from a place that does setup is the more critical than brand. That said - I'm got a soft spot for Islander ukes - they have a wide fretboard and shallow neck profile that I find particularly comfortable, and the sound is pretty good as well.

Another vote for Flea or Fluke concert. Nice sound, well built, good intonation...and yes the customer service is outstanding... The factory setup is excellent, so you can feel pretty confident buying these from any reputable dealer. If you get the standard fretboard, there isn't any adjusting that can be done anyway.

True. Mostly, I meant that I didn't want something with shoddy construction or that was going to feel completely like a toy!

There aren't any music stores in my town big enough to carry a large selection of ukes, and I definitely haven't seen any of the makes mentioned in this thread. So I'm probably looking for an online store that can do a good job with setup. Any additions to the ones Mivo listed?

Last edited:
True. Mostly, I meant that I didn't want something with shoddy construction or that was going to feel completely like a toy!

There aren't any music stores in my town big enough to carry a large selection of ukes, and I definitely haven't seen any of the makes mentioned in this thread. So I'm probably looking for an online store that can do a good job with setup. Any additions to the ones Mivo listed?

https://www.elderly.com

I second the Mainlands. Great tone. Nice looking. Great set up. And you won't be wanting to upgrade right away, or at all.

Top Bottom