WTB playability over beauty

I actually started playing Ukulele because arthritis at the base of my thumb started making playing my guitars an excruciatingly painful experience. I kept getting cortisone shots, but they only lasted for a few months. As it became impossible to play guitar, I turned to the Uke as a less strenuous alternative. Then it started to get more difficult to play the Uke as well. After a few years I opted for Basal Joint surgery.

It was like getting a new hand.

Within six months of the surgery, I could play not only my Ukes, but also all of my guitars again (including my 12-string) with virtually no pain at all. I'm now about five years out from the surgery and all is still well.

Oh yes, before the surgery, I myself found Fleas and Flukes the easiest to play. Still my main Ukes to this day.

Scooter

Thanks-- but I live in northwestern Wisconsin, which means dry, heated air for 3 seasons. I hear Meles don't fair well in these conditions, even in humidified rooms and cases. So I'm a bit more cautious around this brand.

Thank you for some practical information that goes right to the root of the problem! I'll bring it up next doctor's appointment. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I find the fluke or flea with polycarbonate fretboard easier to play than one with the wooden fretboard. Go figure.

Top Bottom