Hat acquisition syndrome

Am I not alone in wearing wool or fur felt during summer? I do often even though I have straws.

Sometimes when I practice my uke while sipping coffee in the morning (my favorite time) I have one of my hats on. I love it. But when my wife sees me she asks me to take it off while indoors as well. What can i do.

I just bought a new fur felt short brim fedora will post pictures soon

I don't wear wool anything. The itching and scratching drives me crazy. I even wore a gabardine "overseas" cap instead of the wool issue one when I was in the Air Force. I usta wear lambs wool swearters when I was in high school, but I can't wear it anymore.

I guess felt is wool, but my snap brim felt doesn't seem to bother me much. :eek:ld:

That looks nice. Is it a "Biltmore" black fedora? I had a Made in USA version of the Biltmore "Abby Road", which was my favorite summertime "dress up hat"

Last edited:
Yes it is!!! I love Biltmore they are exquisite even their wool. I think some of their wool hats are better looking than some fur felts out there.

An awesome homburg I picked up recently a Biltmore eleganza line cognac homburg I got it slightly oversized so i can tilt it when wearing. That's the thing about us musicians we have a license to wear our hat w a little flair !

Attachments

• OxfordSide.jpg
    OxfordSide.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 23
Slightly off-topic to HAS...

...but does anyone know what hat style and make/model was worn by Charlie Chaplin?

...also I know that Sinatra wore a Fedora, but I've seen and tried many, and none seem to be right on me, nor look as cool as they did on Old Blue Eyes - any info on this one too?

Thanks in advance for any info and please feel free to PM me if you'd like as I do not want to dilute the focus of this thread. :) Apologies to the OP for the digression... \m/

Slightly off-topic to HAS...

...but does anyone know what hat style and make/model was worn by Charlie Chaplin?

...also I know that Sinatra wore a Fedora, but I've seen and tried many, and none seem to be right on me, nor look as cool as they did on Old Blue Eyes - any info on this one too?

Thanks in advance for any info and please feel free to PM me if you'd like as I do not want to dilute the focus of this thread. :) Apologies to the OP for the digression... \m/

You can reply any way you want Booli. No need for apology. You are accepted here. Those are pertinent questions.
Yes, Charlie Chaplin wore a bowler or derby hat. A great starter bowler of good quality is Jaxon. They have a stiff wool bowler in black and in grey. I have the black one and it is nice.
Sinatra I believe wore more of a shorter brimmed hat. The more dressy fedoras have around a 2.5 inch brim while stingier brims can be more 1.5 to 2 inch. I like both, but it really depends on your theme when you dress. Each hat is distinct when tilted sideways or back more, or more traditional horizontal to the ground. And also snapping brim up or down.
You have to try all sorts of configurations along w different colors w clothing colors or complexion.
Some believe certain brimmed hats only look good on certain faces or certain body types but I personally don't believe it. I have all kinds and I'm a very wide jawed person.

Depending on the mood I'll tilt my hat a certain way
Depending on the clothing type or event or casual situation, I'll wear a certain brimmed hat
Depending on the clothes colors I'll wear a type of colored hat.
But snapping a brim I'll always keep snapped up, as it is more jazzy than a mid century American trad look snapped down brim.

I have a dozen or more hats sitting on shelves that never get worn. For some reason I see a hat and have this image of myself wearing it that is not reflected in the mirror when I get home. I'm just a lowly ball cap wearer. I guess that I do have a wide brimmed hat that I wear sometimes in Puerto Rico, but it is more for function than for style.

I love hats and hate my hair! It never has done what I want it to do. I usta wear crew cuts, but it's to old and sparse for that now. Hats and caps are the ideal answer to a bad hair life.

I don't wear ball caps though. My head's too big, and they look funny on me. I like trilbys and snap brim caps best. :eek:ld:

Thanks for the info and links. These will be useful in finding a brimmed hat that works for me. :)

You can reply any way you want Booli. No need for apology. You are accepted here. Those are pertinent questions.
Yes, Charlie Chaplin wore a bowler or derby hat. A great starter bowler of good quality is Jaxon. They have a stiff wool bowler in black and in grey. I have the black one and it is nice.
Sinatra I believe wore more of a shorter brimmed hat. The more dressy fedoras have around a 2.5 inch brim while stingier brims can be more 1.5 to 2 inch. I like both, but it really depends on your theme when you dress. Each hat is distinct when tilted sideways or back more, or more traditional horizontal to the ground. And also snapping brim up or down.
You have to try all sorts of configurations along w different colors w clothing colors or complexion.
Some believe certain brimmed hats only look good on certain faces or certain body types but I personally don't believe it. I have all kinds and I'm a very wide jawed person.

Depending on the mood I'll tilt my hat a certain way
Depending on the clothing type or event or casual situation, I'll wear a certain brimmed hat
Depending on the clothes colors I'll wear a type of colored hat.
But snapping a brim I'll always keep snapped up, as it is more jazzy than a mid century American trad look snapped down brim.

Thanks for the kind words, as well as the detailed info. I have some research to do.

When I was younger, a baseball cap was always with me in summer, and a wool ski cap in winter, but since getting more bald, it seems all the hair on top got burned off by the furious brain activity...

(Grass does not grow on a busy street)
:)

A few years ago I discovered a lady on Etsy that makes cotton beanie caps (pic below) out of the same material used in the Hanes 'beefy' t-shirts.

They are usually called 'cancer hats' and worn by folks undergoing chemo who have lost their hair. I dialogued with her a few times and she hand-made a few of these hats just for me. I now wear them year-round. I feel completely naked without the top of my head covered.

This is a sample of what they look like from her page:

il_570xN.146896965.jpg

and this is her shop on Esty:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/EnglishTraditions

Since that first order, I have gotten more of them, and several in each color to coordinate with whatever colors I am wearing.

It would be nice to find a Bowler or Fedora, either one with a shorter brim, that I could wear on occasion instead, since most folks think that I am wearing the beanie for religious purposes, but the beanie is more comfortable and so much better looking than a bandanna.

I used to wear a bandanna all the time in the summer to keep the sweat from running into my eyes, but for some reason I must have looked rather menacing with the bandanna because I almost always got dirty looks since folks must have made negative assumptions about someone that wears a bandanna (which is not at all helped by the over-hyped news stories).

Well i don't know what size you wear but I can either direct you to fedora lounge (a forum like this for classic wear and hats) lot of people there knowledgeable about hats and collect them and also sell like here. Myself included. I am selling some size 7 3/8 hats new and used I don't wear anymore.
Also I recommend hats.com or villagehats make sure you watch for their sales and use floating coupons. Check against Amazon for pricing sometimes. (Don't ever buy a hat fulfilled directly from Amazon warehouse bc they will crush your hat into a small box. Places like hats com and village and delmonico and hatco outlet in garland Texas are very reputable and will ship almost all hats in their corresponding hat boxes.

This is my Borsalino Quito straw hat. Looks sort of purple in the pic but it is a blue

Attachments

• 20170908_071948.jpg
    20170908_071948.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 24
Does anyone know what hat Aldrine is wearing in this photo?

UU_portraitweb.jpg

Top Bottom