Hat acquisition syndrome

Debussychopin

Reaction score
How many hats you have you own/ in rotation?
What kind of hats? I'm not talking about baseball caps here, sorry. Fedoras, pork pies, Panama straw, fur felt, bowlers, cowboy, etc is what I'm asking about.

Have any pics?
I'll try to show you some of my hats. I've had issues w HAS prior to uke and guitar but now heading back to it. It can get worse than UAS.

Pic isn't the best, but this is my cashmere blend, high crown fedora. It is real lovely in person, trust me. It is my favorite now and wear it everywhere even w shorts and tee. I m hesitant to show pic of me wearing it cuz I don't want to show my face closeup but maybe one day
6pvpl4.jpg

Cool hat. I love a nice hat and would wear one more often if they didn't give me hat head. I will only wear one when I'm confident that I can leave it on. Otherwise, I hate the crazy hair look when I take it off in public.

I have a great black Trilby for winter, and a Stetson "Gentleman Rancher" (Anyway they usta be called that -- small, straw -- western.) for the summer. I also wear a coupla different straw, snap-brim fedoras in the summer.

I also wear snap brim caps, but not baseball type. My head's too big for ones that connect in the back. I only wear sized caps.

Anyway, I've always worn hats and caps. They have been part of me for 21 years in the air force and even as a kid. :eek:ld:

Last edited:
Hat head is not good, luckily I don't have too much of it so just a couple of run-throughs with my hand and my hair is good. I usually keep it on all day if I'm outside anyways.

I thought I had a big head! Let's see your hat Dick.

Here is a few more of mine. The olive diamond crown and the grey straw porkpie are my (used to be) daily beaters. The other ones are on rare certain occasion. Let say, playing ukulele at the beach one day!

2rqkgau.jpg

I always wear a hat.

Partial to Kangol hats, the classic caps and especially the Tropic Playa porkpie for this hot climate.
Jaxon makes some really nice straw fedoras at a good price.
I've got 2 custom made rabbit fur fedoras that I got in Colorado that are pretty awesome.

Yes jaxon does make some good straw hats. The grey pork pie straw I have is jaxon.
I would love to get a nice rabbit fur or beaver but they are so expensive! (But that of course shouldnt deter a 'acquisition syndrome man' lol)

Here is a small sampling of mine. I usually wear a hat on stage, but a few of these I will wear when I'm not performing as well.

Jim top hat.jpg Harv.jpg Hatgatsby b.jpg Hat#4.jpg Hatgatsby d.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! I love that top hat on you, I always thought of getting one but I would look ridiculous in it. You do it well (has a little intimidating factor to it ). Love your black derby as well. I'll have to take a pic of me in mine too.

Last edited:
Maybe time to put the Trilby away, although I really like to wear it. The weather's been pretty warm lately, and it's supposed to rain in SoCal starting tonight for a coupla days. Time for my visored felt cap, or my white snap brim cap.

I got my hair cut really short, so I don't know how they're gonna fit. The beach hat that I sometimes wear around the house fits kinda funny now.

I'm looking forward to Easter when I can probably wear my straw Stetson and my ventilated Pork Pie. :eek:ld:

I have one of those grey stetson stratoliner in Milan straw it is so exquisite. Easter is a great time to break out the various hats! I've got to get myself a skimmer

Well, my Trilby and my felt, waterproof "snap brim" cap and my wool snap brim cap are on vacation until the fall.

Time for my ventilated straw pork pie and my white straw one too. I'll be wearing my white cloth and straw snap brim caps too. I'll wait until Easter for my Stetson "Rancher".

It's great to have new hats to wear. Even though I wore them last summer. :eek:ld:

I bought some indiana jones branded felt hat on sale at amazon some years ago...okay apparently not from amazon, but the same as this one: https://www.amazon.com/Indiana-Jones-Water-Repellent-Fedora/dp/B001AERQZ2 . I wear that during the colder months. I have 2 warm weather hats I bought from costco, one with with loose fabric back for working outside and another similar full brimmed one I keep in my car. I have an old boonie hat and another tan cotton hat that I don't really wear anymore as I really need sun protection since they started scraping cancer off my face when I was still in my 30s.

Last edited:
I'm a big hat wearer too. Have been for about five years now. Indeed, I feel naked without one now when I go out.

After only a short time of wide brimmed hat wearing, I could not believe that such a useful item ever fell out of fashion. It keeps your head dry in a light shower, it makes sunglasses redundant, keeps your head cool on a sunny day and on cold winter days it keeps your overall temperature up. And hats just look so cool!

If you want to see my extensive collection. Try looking through my youtube videos where I nearly always wear a hat.

In one of my recent videos - an instrumental entitled "Spring in my Step" - I even included some photos of my Tyrolean hat decorated in flowers and berries I found on my walks around the local hills here in Catalunya.

Sometimes I wear a hat or cap in the house, especially when my hair is uncombable. My old-fashioned wife doesn't like it and lets me know it.

Ahhh, well . . . Hats are comfortable - anywhere! :eek:ld:

Well, my Trilby and my felt, waterproof "snap brim" cap and my wool snap brim cap are on vacation until the fall.

Time for my ventilated straw pork pie and my white straw one too. I'll be wearing my white cloth and straw snap brim caps too. I'll wait until Easter for my Stetson "Rancher".

It's great to have new hats to wear. Even though I wore them last summer. :eek:ld:

Am I not alone in wearing wool or fur felt during summer? I do often even though I have straws.

Sometimes when I practice my uke while sipping coffee in the morning (my favorite time) I have one of my hats on. I love it. But when my wife sees me she asks me to take it off while indoors as well. What can i do.

I just bought a new fur felt short brim fedora will post pictures soon

Last edited:
I'm a big hat wearer too. Have been for about five years now. Indeed, I feel naked without one now when I go out.

After only a short time of wide brimmed hat wearing, I could not believe that such a useful item ever fell out of fashion. It keeps your head dry in a light shower, it makes sunglasses redundant, keeps your head cool on a sunny day and on cold winter days it keeps your overall temperature up. And hats just look so cool!

If you want to see my extensive collection. Try looking through my youtube videos where I nearly always wear a hat.

In one of my recent videos - an instrumental entitled "Spring in my Step" - I even included some photos of my Tyrolean hat decorated in flowers and berries I found on my walks around the local hills here in Catalunya.

You have more hats than I do. A very 'eclectic ' selection of hats you do possess. I like the bolero you have on in one of them.

Top Bottom