Hat acquisition syndrome

HAS is just as real as UAS!

I usually keep my hat on when shopping, but I’ve left my cane in different stores. They’re expensive, so luckily I’ve managed to get them back so far.

I guess the only time I take my hat off is when I try on a new hat. :eek:ld:

Does anyone know what hat Aldrine is wearing in this photo?

UU_portraitweb.jpg

He's always wearing a trilby.

Got this Stetson pinnacle from the Texas outlet recently

Attachments

• 20171004_174907.jpg
    20171004_174907.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 12
My navy Biltmore c crown hehe love it I've gotten so many compliments wearing this one. Yeah , it's fun.

aNK9Yt3.jpg

I look crazy there.

I like.

Last edited:
You look like the “Spy” in the old Mad Comic books in that hat. But I don’t know if you’re old enough to remember him. :eek:ld:

Haha of course I know spy! Mad comic books were great especially the fold over covers to reveal a secret picture.

This is HAS....I know a woman who has 75 hats. She told me she just got rid of some before she counted them.

I off to get myself a hat today! This thread inspired it -- so thanks (I guess)! Thinking a trilby, depending on how it looks on my big head. I will post results here :)

2 tilley hats, one cowboy, one panama, one short tophat, and one sort of floppy thing I got from the House of Blues about 20 years ago..

I off to get myself a hat today! This thread inspired it -- so thanks (I guess)! Thinking a trilby, depending on how it looks on my big head. I will post results here :)

Please post the result!
I'm glad you are inspired. Try to get a good quality one, it will inspire more. I recommend looking into Stetson or Biltmore fedoras. A good wool one (Biltmore has the best wool felts if you don't feel to pay more for a fur felt) can be around 70-120 dollars but is well worth it

Please remember, if in doubt or in between sizes, go with a larger size than smaller.
3 reasons
Hats will shrink over time due to sweat and heat exposure.
You can size down a looser fit more easily than to stretch out a tighter fit (and usually cheap stretcher will just distort the brim and crown shape)
A slightly looser fit is more acceptable looking (and more fashionable) ; a tighter fit just looks like a hat that looks slightly small on head. Not a good look ever in history. (Unless you're an old timer, a few of them like wearing tighter hats)

Last edited:
I wore my black biltmore to work today. Yeah the pic is done in a way you can't see my face but also so i can look bad ass (to myself, this is my opinion...i thinks to myself)

Attachments

• 20171028_003315.jpg
    20171028_003315.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20171028_004629.jpg
    20171028_004629.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
IMG_0100.jpgIMG_0781.jpg

My husband asked me once if you have to wear a hat to play the ukulele :)
I love hats but suffer from he hat head syndrome so I don't wear one.

I do have a hat collection though. I display them as part of my decor and I use candle sticks to hang them from.
I have a bowler, a top hat, two bonnets that I made for a 18th century Christmas party, a boater, 20s woman bonnet, a 16th century split brimmed with feather hat that I also made, and a Russian Kokoshnik.

There are some here that have quite the collection of hats. Pabrizzer and SillyDave come to mind and they wear theirs.

IMG_7370.jpgIMG_7372.jpgIMG_7365.jpgIMG_7363-1.jpgIMG_7360.jpg

^ interesting about how you enjoy them. As long as you enjoy them, and that is artistic how you display them around the house, all the best.

---
It reminds me of a point for myself that there are a few hats I love that I really haven't worn them out yet. They just sit in their boxes pristine. I still enjoy them bc of the thought I have them. Just plain ownership. Also I take them out every once in awhile and admire them.

Some people don't get it. They believe to enjoy is to use. I believe some are like me where you don't necessarily have to use them to enjoy them personally.

If I had a choice I would buy two exact of my favorite so one to wear out and one to keep in box pristine.

But also, there is to say that many times heavy usage and having it weathered down, clean (brush) it, wear it, clean it,
wear it, etc that whole process over time does make the hat more beautiful than just a new hat look.
Kind of like a good quality pair of English leather dress shoes or a vintage leather briefcase or sofa.

Last edited:
A coupla days ago I got a very short haircut-almost a crew cut. I have a very large head, so now my hats will fit better.

I had my hair whacked off because I’m very tired of trying to make it look good. I wear hats all the time anyhow. :eek:ld:

My husband asked me once if you have to wear a hat to play the ukulele :)
I love hats but suffer from he hat head syndrome so I don't wear one.

I do have a hat collection though. I display them as part of my decor and I use candle sticks to hang them from.
I have a bowler, a top hat, two bonnets that I made for a 18th century Christmas party, a boater, 20s woman bonnet, a 16th century split brimmed with feather hat that I also made, and a Russian Kokoshnik.

There are some here that have quite the collection of hats. Pabrizzer and SillyDave come to mind and they wear theirs.

View attachment 103925View attachment 103926View attachment 103927View attachment 103928View attachment 103929

I like some of your hats. I think I’d like a Derby or a low Top Hat. They’re good for banjoing! :eek:ld:

I like some of your hats. I think I’d like a Derby or a low Top Hat. They’re good for banjoing! :eek:ld:

Thanks, Hats are a good conversation piece whether on your head or on a hat rack.......I double anyone could hear it from the hat box though :biglaugh:

JK! A well preserved hat in its original hat box can bring a good price. Hang onto those!

Here's a picture of my reso uke along with my Boat Hat which I wear when I perform my Tin Pan Alley Music.

MU1.jpg

Top Bottom