Did I buy the right strings for my new uke?

Stinkybirb

Reaction score
Recently bought a 21 inch soprano beginner ukulele. The strings on it were okay and I heard buying better ones make a whole world of difference.
I just got my Aquila Super Nylgut AQ-107 Tenor Low G strings
i just replaced them on my uke and of course at first they didnt sound right because they needed to be worn in. But my G string is metal and wrapped like a guitar string. I did buy the low G but I didnt realise they would be like that. The strings themselves still dont sound amazing like id thought. I ended up replacing the metal G string with the spare A string and tuned it to G. I hope after a week of playing these strings will be worth it.
Did i just not buy the right strings for my uke?

You have a soprano ukulele so should have soprano strings. The tenor string you, bought are larger in diameter and designed for higher tension than soprano strings. Low G is usually suited more to tenor and concert although it can be done on soprano. So the answer to your question is No you did not buy the right strings.

Last edited:
:agree: Pretty much sums it up!

I would say that Low G is less common on Concerts and Sopranos, and a wound string would be strange to see on a ukulele. That said, Tenor strings will be thicker and designed for more tension (on a longer length) than Soprano strings, so the experience should be thicker and perhaps "looser" than normal Soprano strings.

Our KIDS Aquila strings are one scale and can be used on any Soprano, Concert, and Tenor--although they are slightly thin on a Tenor. So why not the other way?

At your next change I would recommend Martin 600 strings (fluorocarbon) just to see if you like them more or less than what you have been using--and if you like those, there are about 20 options for other flurocarbon strings.

There is joy in finding strings/materials you like.

a wound string would be strange to see on a ukulele.

Not at all strange for a low G (or even longer scale C strings). Since the OP is a beginner, I figured this was worth setting the record straight. As a low G concert scale player, I would never use anything *but* a wound G.

To the OP - as others have noted, you want soprano strings for a soprano uke. While there are players who string a soprano low G, it's tricky getting the right balance and that low G is likely to sound a bit off balance, particularly if it's not wound. In my experience, non-wound low G strings sound extremely thuddy on soprano and concert ukes.

I forgot to add "soprano" to that line. That should have said, "A wound string would be strange [less common?] to see on a soprano ukulele." Sorry for the omission.

I forgot to add "soprano" to that line. That should have said, "A wound string would be strange [less common?] to see on a soprano ukulele." Sorry for the omission.

And thanks for the clarification :)

I second the Martin strings. I have them on my Pono MGS and the sound is amazing. If you want to spend more like 15 bucks Worth brown or clears are good too.

Note that Worth strings are double length so that you get two sets of strings for your 15 bucks.

I would never use anything *but* a wound G.
In my experience, non-wound low G strings sound extremely thuddy on soprano and concert ukes.
And completely opposed to that opinion I will never again use a wound low g string - tried that once and found it overpowering the rest.
Now I stick to Living Water low g and am happy with sound and feel - but never tried low g on a soprano scale, only on concert.
:2cents:

You have a soprano ukulele so should have soprano strings. The tenor string you, bought are larger in diameter and designed for higher tension than soprano strings. Low G is usually suited more to tenor and concert although it can be done on soprano. So the answer to your question is No you did not buy the right strings.

Alright, so considering I did buy the wrong cords. :( Will these cords be that much of a difference for a beginner? So far once I got the cords relativly worked in they sound pretty good.
Should I just return them and get proper ones or is it not even that big of a deal?
Down the line I will eventually buy the right cords but for now is it nessisary?

Sorry for all the word errors.

Alright, so considering I did buy the wrong cords. :( Will these cords be that much of a difference for a beginner? So far once I got the cords relativly worked in they sound pretty good.
Should I just return them and get proper ones or is it not even that big of a deal?
Down the line I will eventually buy the right cords but for now is it nessisary?

Sorry for all the word errors.
I don't know of any stores that will let you return a set of strings that you've already put on the uke.

I would suggest that you do go buy some appropriate soprano strings. The tenor strings are going to be higher tension, making the instrument harder to play. They are also harder on the instrument. If your soprano was built very lightly, the higher tension strings could even cause some damage over time.

Top Bottom