Apps

MananAtma

Reaction score
Did a search on google play for "ukulele" and all kinds of interesting apps came up. Can anyone make recommendations? I'd like an app to compile music and a song writer app that is uke friendly. Anyone have a favorite app or know one that would be handy for beginners?

If you're using Google Play then you have an Android device, OnSong is only for iOS iPhones and iPads. I use MobileSheets Pro with a 13.3" Android tablet that is very much like OnSong and ForScore, it also comes in a light version. You can make your own lead sheets with it, plus import PDFs. It also imports audio files that you can attach to the sheet music.

http://www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/

I really like "The Ukulele App" from The Ukulele Teacher. All of his videos are available on the app as well as a tuner, chords, and scales. His videos are great if you haven't seen them on YouTube yet. It's one of the best learning resources I have found so far.

I like Ukeoke best. It is ukulele karaoke app. We can play along with this app. Fun!

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab E, android devise. Nothing to complex that I could write lyrics, chords(for uke would be nice) and melodies. Have a play back mode to see if the melody I wrote sounds like I imagined it should. I want to learn how to write music.

Others can comment here, but I don't know of any such program on Android. You could give NotateMe a try (free version is NotateMe Now, which will create one staff). On iOS, Notion is the way to go (with about 5 other apps, but Notion is the most advanced by far).

One more thought that I almost forgot about...check out the web app called flat.io. It alllows for almost all you can do...starting is free; a subscription opens up more feature. And yes, writing for ukulele is an option.

TablEdit. Try the free version. It is available for all formats except Linux. Windows, Mac, iOS, Android. The free version just works for reading tabs, the paid helps create them.

I just want an android auto scrolling app for my lead sheets. They are all either word documents or PDFs. I have a bunch of them on paper, stuck in a three ring binder. I don't want to compose my own music, I don't want to search for music, I don't want to do fancy stuff, I don't want to do anything but put those lead sheets on my Kindle Fire and then have an auto scroll so that I don't have to haul that three ring binder around all the time.

Auto scroll is tricky...a better option might be an app that works with a Bluetooth pedal...Mobile Sheets or Orpheus are good starting points.

I just want an android auto scrolling app for my lead sheets. They are all either word documents or PDFs. I have a bunch of them on paper, stuck in a three ring binder. I don't want to compose my own music, I don't want to search for music, I don't want to do fancy stuff, I don't want to do anything but put those lead sheets on my Kindle Fire and then have an auto scroll so that I don't have to haul that three ring binder around all the time.

MobileSheets Pro has automatic scrolling. I have a Bluetooth pedal that I will also use to be more in control, but lately all my lead sheets are one page, so I rarely use it.

Auto scroll is tricky...a better option might be an app that works with a Bluetooth pedal...Mobile Sheets or Orpheus are good starting points.
I was trying to avoid more equipment and having to set it up, although I don't even know what a Bluetooth pedal looks like. Maybe that is the way to go. I will look into it. That's an option. What were you using in Minneapolis?

MobileSheets Pro has automatic scrolling. I have a Bluetooth pedal that I will also use to be more in control, but lately all my lead sheets are one page, so I rarely use it.
I'll go look at MobileSheets. As I said to Chris, I just want to keep it all to a minimum, but maybe a Bluetooth pedal and my Kindle Fire would be less trouble than hauling around that three ring binder full of sheets of paper. But I want to be able to go to a street corner and get going without having to put up and take down an elaborate setup. I already have about as much as I can carry as it is.

A little while later: I checked it out and MobileSheets Pro looks like what I am looking for. I don't know why I spent an hour yesterday looking though Play Store and didn't come across it. I'll try the auto scroll, and if that doesn't work for me I'll go from there. Thanks Choirguy and kohanmike.

Last edited:

Try Chordinator on Android.

I've tried a few scrolling apps both on iPad and Android and I've given up on all of them. The problem I found is getting the scroll speed right. I try now to fit all the words and chords on to a single page so scrolling is not necessary. I put all my songs in ChordPro format without but without the markup (the chords are in square brackets [] on the same line as the lyrics) but I highlight the chords in red so they stand out. With practice, you can read the lyrics and chords just as effectively as having the chords on the line above the lyrics and it makes it much easier to get the whole song on one page.

What were you using in Minneapolis?

Oh, goodness. I never responded to this. Sorry!

I think I had my AirTurn GoStand (collapsible tablet holder) and my iPad Air 2 (9.7")...I likely had the foot pedal but don't need it for most of the Yellow Book. AirTurn makes a Bluetooth page turning device (several models) as does PageFlip. Both companies also sell B Stock, which may be worth it for a device that is getting stepped on anyway.

It is pretty wonderful to download resources (self-made or by others) and have them on the iPad. And while I am not a full-out environmentalist, I have saved a lot of paper over the last seven years that I have owned an iPad.

In addition to the environmental issue of saving paper, I find that having the ability to have practically my entire library with me to choose from when I'm not home (as well as many books of music which I purchased only as PDF files) is wonderful. I no longer have to plan in advance what I'll be playing when I practice nor do I have to limit myself to a few books because of weight issues. It's a fantastic device and I can't imagine my musical life these days without it.

Top Bottom