tinny soprano

opiate99

Reaction score
I was given a Maxwell (circa 1960) soprano ukulele. I replaced the broken friction pegs with geared tuners and installed Aquila AQ-100 Nylgut strings, but I don't like the "tinny" sound it produces.

I have no idea how it originally sound, but would like some recommendations on another type/brand of string that might help give it a "warmer" sound?

20170313_194805.jpg

It likely had nylon strings originally, which sound warmer than fluorocarbon strings. I'd try the Pro Arte Titanium strings by D'Addario. EJ87S is the product code. Quite liked those on my FS-5 when I had it in standard tuning.

To a certain extent soprano ukuleles DO sound bright and can easily be tinny. There are several things that can be wrong. If the action is so low or if a fret is high enough to buzz then this will sound tinny on a soprano. If you have a loose brace then this will sound tinny too.

I have an old "wall hanger", possibly of similar vintage to your Maxwell which, to my mind, always sounded "boxy" ... literally! Then, in a moment of enlightenment, I tried re-entrant "D"-tuning, ADF#B, and it came to life. The higher tuning was mor eof a standard in those days, so maybe the instruments were built for that :confused:

The strings I've got fitted are some generic black nylon ... it was only ever going to be a wall-hanger so I didn't spend any more. I don't know how a set of Aquilas would react to the higher tension.

The strings I've got fitted are some generic black nylon ... it was only ever going to be a wall-hanger so I didn't spend any more. I don't know how a set of Aquilas would react to the higher tension.

Aquila make a special set for D tuning (the product code is U33). It's much better for this tuning than the regular soprano set (U4, though I have no idea what AQ-100 is) as the strings are thinner. The tension will be roughly like with the C tuning strings in C tuning, maybe a little tighter, but not as taunt as when you tune up fluorocarbon strings or the U4 set to D tuning.

I think D tuning sounds better on most sopranos, so I second the suggestion. But I'd get the U33 set for that tuning, or the D tuning set that D'Addario offer. I'd not use standard strings, though I guess a lot of folks do.

great suggestions... never even thought of the D tuning. Thanks

I'd suggest trying Worth brown, LaBella pro, and D'addario Nyltech. If it's a keeper, and you have the money, experimenting with strings to find the right ones is very worthwhile. Give them all at least a week or two on the uke with some consistent playing before you change though.

Several of the suggestions above can contribute to a "tinny" sound and some new strings may help. It is however my experience that the main source of a tight or tinny sound is because the uke construction is over-built. Most likely the wood plate wood is too hard or thick, giving the uke little resonance.

drop the tuning half or two half steps...thicker strings is another solution.. koolau alohi strings, maybe martin depending how bad it is good luck, happy strummings

Top Bottom