Kala Elite USA series?

TheKlmslim

Reaction score
So theres no doubt people have heard of Kala. They recommend them for beginners and I swear by them because I believe they are great and affordable. I recently stumbled upon the elite series, the ones that they handmake in california. And they are just stunning visually, but the price is just terrifying. I understand theyre handmade and I understand theyre not cheap. But now we're getting to that pricerange of brands like kamaka and high end martin ukuleles. Are they of equal quality to ukes like that in their price range? Anyone have any experience with these elite series ukes? Is 1200-2200 dollars worth the money for a handmade solid koa uke? Would i be better off buying a brand like kamaka if im dropping that much money? If so which ones?

I've played a couple, and in my opinion - yes - they are right up there with brands like Kamaka and Kanile'a. They are outstanding.

As for which is better - that's a 'how long is a piece of string' question. Before the elites came along, people would argue as to which was better, Kamaka, Kanile'a, KoAloha or Ko'Olau (to name a few). They all have their own fans, but for me they are all in the same sort of quality bracket - you'd need to play them side by side to come to a view and trust your own ears.

Back in December, our local Guitar Center had several used higher end ukuleles.
All were $500 used.

They had a Kala Elite Tenor 1KOA TG and 3 other Pono Tenors (MGT5 PC, AT5 PC, ET5(C) PC).
All were in the $800 to $1000 range new.

I had the chance to play all of them in the store and I prefered the Kala Elite to the other 3.
It just sounded and played better to me.

I didn't purchase that Kala Elite 1KOA TG. I could not justify the cost for my playing ability. I will reget that day I am sure.. lol

I did get me a new KA-ATP-CTG from HMS though. It just arrived and is beautiful.

I have played many Kala Elite ukes they sound nice....Kanile'a and the Elites are the nicest finish as they both use UV Polyester finish....there are way more choices for the wood you want and the fret board is wider than the other Hawaiian ukes which many folks like....

they are worth the money but as usual each uke sounds different so it would be best to play them if possible....I saw one with a cutaway and built with maple that was super nice.....

my 2 cents

Last edited:
My local shop has two of them. They sound great and as soon as you pick them up it's obvious that the build quality is of a higher level.
As mentioned in the post above they use a wider nut and fretboard. I prefer the tighter string span associated with production ukes but if I were in the market they certainly don't disappoint.

I've been lucky enough to play a few (3-4) in various sizes. I believe them to be great values. Personally, they are easily the equal of the K's brands and based on my small sample size, I would likely buy a Kala Elite before a K brand. The one potential concern I would have is re-sale given the perception may people have that they could get a K brand for the same dollar and would prefer to do so.

I've had the opportunity to play several of the Elite series at a local shop, and they are indeed superb instruments. The fit and finish and workmanship are top notch. About the only concern I would have would be resale, since Kala is new in the market for this level of instrument. So if you are constantly buying and selling your ukes, that might be an issue. But if you buy one to keep and play, I can't imagine you would ever regret the purchase.

I was listening to a couple Kala Elite tenors today (HMS Vimeo) and really liked their tone. Fit & Finish appears to be very good also.

From videos I have seen of Kala US production, it looks like their builders each focuses on mastering an operation (neck fitting, fretting, etc.). So this is a little different than having a master luthier build the entire instrument. But it definitely seems to be working for Kala.

Last edited:
Resell value would be a concern, but it's probably already reflected in either the street price or the features and materials.

I faced the same situation when I bought the aNueNue Moon Bird, which is a China-made instrument that cost me as much as a basic K brand ukulele. But the bang for the buck was substantially better (hardwood case with real leather, Gotoh UPT tuners, better intonation, pearl inlay, etc) than with entry K brand models. If I resold it (no intention to), I'd get less than I would for a K brand, but effectively I also paid less than I would have for a comparable Hawaiian made instrument. Labor is cheaper in China, as are the living costs (that frequently seems to be overlooked), but expert luthiers are expert luthiers no matter where in the world they work or what label their instruments are sold under.

Perceptions are also subject to change. In the 70s, apparently Japan had the same reputation as China does now, in regarding quality. This is different today where "made in Japan" is looked at favorably. I also had a K brand uke that had tool markings and a finish that wasn't all the impressively done, so "made in wherever" doesn't necessarily reflect on the quality, and neither does the brand.

Looking at street prices, Kala Elite models seem to be generally cheaper than their K brand equivalents. The reason why I'd have to think hard about getting a Kala Elite is my negative experience with a cheap Kala, but I don't question the quality of the Elite models. I just don't want to support the company, and that wouldn't be different if they used a different brand name for their handmade ukes. That would actually feel like "deception" to me, so I agree with using the same manufacturer name for all their product lines. If nothing else, it shows they stand behind their products.

Here"s mine. One of a kind. I sold a limb to buy it, and I'd do it again. :)

https://vimeo.com/181291289

And out of all the Kala Elites, that Lebanese Cedar tenor was the best sounding one to my ears that I have heard. Lovely deep mellow sound. Really liked the sound on that uke. Hope you are enjoying it.

Last edited:
I agree with everything that has been mentioned here.
I own an Elite Soprano and it is everything that you would expect from a high quality ukulele.
It sounds fantastic and is really well built.
However, and here is the kicker... It says KALA on the headstock... and thats what buyers see before they hear it.
and because of this, the resale is awful.

I have found that the Soprano is not the size for me, I want Concert. but I am struggling to get any interest in its sale.
IF the Soprano size was what i wanted, I would have no hesitation about keeping it; its fantastic

And out of all the Kala Elites, that Lebanese Cedar tenor was the best sounding one to my ears that I have heard. Lovely deep mellow sound. Really liked the sound on that uke. Hope you are enjoying it.

Thank you, UkeInTW, I am enjoying it immensely. Deep and mellow is exactly how I would describe it. My tenor gets better every day. Combine that magical sound with the resinous tang still emanating from the wood, and I am wrapped in a delicious sensory experience every time I pick it up.

I just listened ( for the 100th time) to Kalei playing your tenor. Truly one of the prettiest, sweetest sounds a tenor uke is capable of making.

Thank, Dave! I listen to Kalei quite a lot myself. The honor I feel that he actually played my uke is still strong. I could not agree more with everything you say. Its sound is everything I could wish for.

I will never sell this uke, so I don't care in the slightest about resale value. But I do understand the potential trepidation over the Kala name. I am proud of that name, however. As an appreciator of the history of ukuleles, the name of Kala fits in that history as a brand who has made good ukuleles accessible to so many. And now Kala USA is making ukuleles at the highest level of artistry. Should they have used another name on their beautiful Elite ukes? Perhaps, but that's a corporate decision and they are probably proud of their name, too. Martin makes affordable laminates, as does Taylor guitars. The approach of Kala USA to making their Elites in California reminds me of the Taylor model, and I like to think of Kala USA as being similar to Taylor in the early days - a small shop of young luthiers loving their jobs. I recommend Bob Taylor's book, "Guitar Lessons" for a fascinating look at how and why they make guitars as they do.

My Lebanese Cedar has a hand-tuned top. The braces on the back, visible through the sound hole, are glowing orange red padauk, making the inside of the uke as striking as the outside. To my humble eyes, these are luxury touches that, combined with the luscious sound of the woods, make my Kala Elite a bargain at the price I paid.

Am tempted to buy one, a concert. just because. maybe a 2 koa or 3 koa. can anyone tell me how the action is on these?

Having recently bought Kev's Elite soprano I can chime in to the fact that it is flawless in its build and sounds fantastic - it sounds like how a soprano uke should sound. I'm reluctant to say too much as this is my first high end instrument so I don't have much to compare it to but it blows my intermediate range ukes out of the water - the volume and sustain actually beats my concert ukes. I'm a very happy man and, for the first time in literally years, I've stopped window shopping for ukes online.

As a side note, Kev is a fantastic person to buy from, the uke was exactly as described and he stayed engaged until and beyond it was in my hands, chasing the courier company for me when I had a little difficulty with them. Thanks Kev!

Having recently bought Kev's Elite soprano I can chime in to the fact that it is flawless in its build and sounds fantastic - it sounds like how a soprano uke should sound. I'm reluctant to say too much as this is my first high end instrument so I don't have much to compare it to but it blows my intermediate range ukes out of the water - the volume and sustain actually beats my concert ukes. I'm a very happy man and, for the first time in literally years, I've stopped window shopping for ukes online.

As a side note, Kev is a fantastic person to buy from, the uke was exactly as described and he stayed engaged until and beyond it was in my hands, chasing the courier company for me when I had a little difficulty with them. Thanks Kev!

Glad you like yours, Jim! How about posting some pics for us to admire?

Top Bottom