New Group "Steel Stringers" created

studemobile

Reaction score
Hi All,
Just wanted to make ya'll aware that I have created a group dedicated to any and all discussions relating to steel string Ukulele instruments, tunings, playing, etc.
Thanks,
Grandpa G

Here's my steel string uke experience (not to dampen anyone's spirit). When I first started playing ukulele about 4 years ago after playing guitar for almost 50 years (steel string acoustic and electric), I was intrigued by an archtop jazz style steel string uke from a Chinese distributor. For a single one, it was $400 US, but if I bought 20, each would be $165, so I spearheaded a group buy here on UU. But when I received and started playing it, I found I didn't have much occasion to use it and I wasn't that enamored with the steel string sound that required an amp (which I had). So not long after I sold it.

Then about a 2 years later I came across a Vorzon Telecaster style steel string uke for $120 and thought I'd give steel string another shot. I played it with my uke group, but again, I wasn't enamored by the steel string sound with the amp. I just find the nylon string acoustic re-entrant tuned uke to be such a unique sound, and so easy to play, that steel string didn't work for me. Sorry if I caused any angst.

Alida knobs.jpg

Vorson Tele mine 600.jpg

Last edited:
Kohanmike,
I saw your older post selling the archtop. Do you know of anyone else that might want to sell theirs? If not I'll post a wanted in the market section of the forum.
Eric

I was part of the group of 20 that bought. Mike did a great job putting it all together. Mine is a Gibson ES330 mini twin. I think I paid a bit more than 165.00 as I bought a hardshell case with it. The tailpiece was changed to a proper 4 string tp. Also had a professional setup done to it. He also moved the saddle down a bit for proper intonation. Neck is straight and plays really nice. He was pretty enamored with the uke. If I were to keep it, I'd buy really good pickups though these are adequate.

I'm seriously thinking of selling it, just haven't come up with a price yet.

Next I have a Chennell arch top baritone I switched to Steel String and finally a Pono UL4-40 Baritone steel string. All really nice instruments. The Pono may be up for sale soon as it made me realize I missed a six string guitar so am having a custom George Thomas parlor guitar build coming up.

Love a steel string instrument well.... also nylon.

Will be checking out the SS forum, great idea.

Attachments

• phpT9bBexPM.jpg
    phpT9bBexPM.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 11329830_958328280858316_5074512805874705195_n.jpg
    11329830_958328280858316_5074512805874705195_n.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Pono_UL4-40-2.jpg
    Pono_UL4-40-2.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Renowned guitar builder Bruce Sexauer (http://www.sexauerluthier.com/) has built a few steel string tenor ukuleles. I have the second one he built, and I really like it, although the "multi-scale, slant fret" fretboard took a little getting acclimated. Here's a link to a 2014 thread Bruce started about the build of his third steel string tenor ukulele.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?94309-JB-Uke-follow-up

Here's a sound sample of my Sexauer steel string tenor ukulele being played by a talented musician friend of mine.

One of Bruce Sexauer's steel string tenor ukuleles is currently available at Schoenberg Guitars in Tiburon (Marin County) California.

http://www.om28.com/ProductDetail?product=P140821003

I had a Risa LP, it was a fabulous instrument but I just didn't like the "electric guitar" sound as much as an acoustic sound.

I currently have 3 tenor guitars, Blueridge BR40 TCE, Pono UL4-20 and a vintage Regal resonator built in the 1930s. These give me my steel string fix when I want to hear that acoustic guitar sound.

20170810_072027.jpg

Last edited:
I had a Risa LP, it was a fabulous instrument but I just didn't like the "electric guitar" sound as much as an acoustic sound.

I currently have 3 tenor guitars, Blueridge BR40 TCE, Pono UL4-20 and a vintage Regal resonator built in the 1930s. These give me my steel string fix when I want to hear that acoustic guitar sound.

View attachment 102164

I've had a Risa LP in the past. It was the absolute best steel string ukulele. I've also had a couple Vorzons. I couldn't justify selling them to another uker so the are in a landfill.
I now have a Ko'olau CE1, which uses nylon strings. For my steel string fix, I'm playing a tenor guitar and a tenor banjo, both tuned CGDA.

Top Bottom