Season 266: Foreign Language

Srax

Reaction score

Welcome to 266 season of ukulele underground. This week it will be about the language, the foreign language. I often sing in a language that is not my mother language, I think this is a very useful exercise and for this reason this week I invite you to sing in a different language than your own idiom. I don’t mind if you sing in German, French, Spanish….the only condition is the language doesn’t have to be your usual language, you have to sing in a foreign idiom.

It will be two categories:

-General: Is allowed any different idiom than your mother language.
-Catalan: Only in Catalan language.

Catalan is my mother language. I love it, and I think it would be pretty that in the seasons somebody sing it.

Usual Rules:

a) Ukulele should be the main instrument though other instruments are fine in addition.
b) Start and finish midnight Hawaii time on Sunday as usual so 8 days.
c) Multi tracking, plugging in etc. are all OK
d) Three song limit for each category

Prizes: see the introduction video for more information

-General: For the winner: A handmade ukulele strap. (Made by myself.)
-Catalan:
-For the winner: A handmade ukulele strap. (Made by myself. )
-For everybody who post a song in Catalan: a handmade bookmark (Made by myself)

I hope this post is clear. If there are something that you don’t understand please say it me!

Enjoy a lot!

A Hug from Barcelona

Sara

Playlist General category

Playlist Catalan songs

For your help:

A little selection of a few catalan songs

Sites with chords and lyrics:

http://www.acordscatala.cat/ca
http://acordes.lacuerda.net/lluis_llach/
http://www.acords.net/llista_grups2.php?grup=SopadeCabra

Last edited:
Woohoo! I was hoping you would do this theme! This is going to be fun, and it will totally turn the tables on all us anglophones.

Catalan, eh? Reckon that puts Berni front & centre ;-)

Seriously, great idea. I've tried to cover a few songs in Castilian and in German in the past. It was so bloody tricky (I remember Elmann laughing his socks off at my cover of 99 Luftballons :) ), that it always gives me great admiration for any non-native English speaker performing in English.

Last edited:
Sara, this will be a really fun season to listen too. I love covers in other languages. I hope I can figure something out with my limited skills. English gibberish is my second language ;-)

Thanks so much for dedicating a week in our behalf.

Come on! If I can sing in english, all of you can sign in another language!! ;)

I will apreciatte your effort!

Sara

I hope you are all ready for some '90s Japanese country/rock/pop.

Oh lord...this is going to be tough! Time
To find a song NOW because this is gonna take some doin!
Promises to be fun and surely often funny ;)

@robinboyd: You speak Japanese, right? Would you mind having look at these lyrics? https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/m/misc_cartoons/gedo_senki_-_teru_no_uta_crd.htm
I'd just like to know if they look roughly Ok, so that I don't sing complete gibberish if I give this a try. Thanks. :)

It looks pretty good. Just some tips for pronunciation...

1. Vowel sounds = a is as in father, e is as in pen, i is as in pin, o is as in dog, u is as in chute. If there are any vowel combinations, it doesn't change the sound of the vowel. Pronounce each vowel individually (nb "you" is not pronounced as you would pronounce "you" in English)

2. Where it says "wo," don't pronounce the "w."

Otherwise, I look forward to hearing it.

Good theme Sarah. There are a number of foreign language songs I would like to do. Iam not sure I know many Catalan Songs do you have some link suggestions?

It looks pretty good. Just some tips for pronunciation...
Thank you! I have a basic idea of how to pronounce Japanese (tried to learn it years ago, never got anywhere beyond the very basics) but a few of your tips were new to me. :)

Oh lord...this is going to be tough! Time
To find a song NOW because this is gonna take some doin!
Promises to be fun and surely often funny ;)

What TCK said! This should be a GREAT Season!

Do you remember Cowboy Bebop?....my son and me almost finished the arrangement of this top notch anime song

I remember it, but never really got into it.

If I get time, I might try another song by Joe Hisaishi this week. It was written for a countertenor, so I'll have to bring it down an octave. Trying to convince Tiffany to do something too.

Sara, I plan to have my husband sing while play the ukulele. I hope that is within the rules. I will bring you something in Catalan and maybe something in mumbo jumbo :D

So far in the Seasons, I've sung in French, Italian, Spanish, German, and Japanese.

I'd love to someday do a song in Malagasy, but it probably won't happen this week. There's a song from Madagascar that I figured out the chords for years ago. I can now find the lyrics via Google, but the language is so dense (lots of syllables per second) I don't think I can figure out the singing in a week.

If you want to try following along with the words: Mahaleo - "Ramiaramila" Lyrics

Top Bottom