Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Season 266: Foreign Language

Quote Originally Posted by Joko View Post
    Indonesia is now one of the most vibrant and open democracies in the region, and I think it had something to do with this song. I hope I’ve done it the justice it deserves.

Wow! Feel the power! Standing O here Mr McK!!

Sadly all is not roses in the Indonesian garden however. Indonesia has one of the most thriving punk scenes in the world (along with Burma!), a scene that grew directly out of the repression Joko describes...
    .... and while democracy and diversity may presently be flourishing in Java and Bali, in Sumatra - in Aceh province in N. Sumatra in particular - it's a different story, as this presentation and these pictures illustrate:

And the Indonesian/Burmese punk instrument of choice? The ukulele, of course!

For an introduction to Indonesian ukulele punk, check out Marjinal
    For Burmese ukulele punk, punk check out Rebel Riot, or Kultureshock - and should you ever find yourself at a loose end in Yangon while visiting Joko's new acoustical apartment, apparently the Hledan flyover is the place to go!
    Last edited by redpaul1; Yesterday at 11:48 PM.
    Argapa custom piccolo | Argapa custom resonator soprano | Rob Collins custom soprano | Kavanagh custom concert | Ashton sop. | Clearwater SB electric concert | Kala PU-SSTU travel sopranissimo | Kala PU-SMH sopranissimo | Kala SSTU-BP soprano | Kala C/MU concert "The Mighty Uke"! | Kala SSTU-C concert | Kala SSTU-T tenor | Korala UKS-310 sop | Harley Benton BCJ100-FMH SB electric baritone | Lanikai S-B Baritone | Clearwater "long neck" baritone | Maholo sop. | Tiny Tangi

Too Drunk To Pluck

Big King Velour came to North Wales, we bonded over our love of Miri & Steffan... and this happened...

www.mikeflaherty.co.uk
    The Sopranos: DJMorgan Cedar/Spruce | Omega Zedro I | Mango Flea | Korala UKS-450E | Tanglewood TU1CE | Luna Tattoo Pineapple
    Other: The Magic Ox Baritone | Vintage Banjolele

Hello everyone. This my first SOTU video. mikef, Das Model was on me list of possibilities , as was another tune called "Grün Grün Grün Sind alle meine kleider" a great childrens' song and a proper earworm if you ask my. As you might have guessed I have chosen to sing in German. I did German in school but I was better at French, and also considered doing a French tune, George Brassens or Charles Trenet. In the end, I picked this. I first came across it in Ferris Bueller's Day Off, a perennial favourite of mine; it's from the bit where Ferris lip syncs to Wayne Newton. Classic tune . I thought, there must be a German version of this, and I found one, sung beautifully by Anita Lindblom. The chord sequence is a bit tricky as it the whole song goes up by a semitone with each verse, you need your wits about you. Anyway, here it is...

I have had hardly any time this week, for playing or for listening, but this pretty well sums up my own attempts -

Roughly translated - "This week I tried to sing in French, This week I tried to sing in German, This week I tried to sing in Russian, In the end I tried in Catalan."

Soprano - KoAloha KSM-00, Maccaferri Islander
    Concert - Barron River Mahogany, Barron River Cypress, MyaMoe Koa, Johnny Marvin "Tenor"
    Sopranino - Rob Collins Cigar Box
    ...all with Worth strings
    ...and a few chords

"Nuages" is often considered Django Reinhardt's signature composition.

Here's a link to the French words:

http://users.telenet.be/boompje/songlyrics.htm#nuages

Here's google translate:

Slowly in the evening
    The train leaves
    On the quay, her handkerchief
    Already fled
    In the ice like a dream
    The gray wall of his house
    In the light of day
    Falls on the horizon
    A cloud stretches