Season 266: Foreign Language

Ok guys, I decided to postpone the upload of my french cover to go stratight with indonesian (???:D)

Comme d'Habitude

Pour le deux-cent soixante-sixième SOTU de UU, un chanson de Claude François. Paroles de Gilles Thibault, musique de Jacques Revaux & Claude François.

In the 1930s, a Cuban radio presenter put some verses of 19th century Cuban Poet, Jose Marti to music. Pete Seeger picked up on these and included it in his 1963 Album "We Shall Overcome" which is where I first heard this song. I hope you don't have too much trouble with my attempt at Spanish, Sara.

A song that is firmly in the folk tradition, but was written by a 19 year-old Paco Barrrado around 1988.

It tells the classic tale of the poor troubadour falling for the lord's lady and paying the price.

It was one of the songs in the repertory of my old melodic rock band "Pere Flipat". It is played on a Kala Tenor Guitar (which is basically a steel strung baritone ukulele).

Translation of the song in the Youtube description

Last edited:
Catalan, eh? Reckon that puts Berni front & centre ;-)

Seriously, great idea. I've tried to cover a few songs in Castilian and in German in the past. It was so bloody tricky (I remember Elmann laughing his socks off at my cover of 99 Luftballons :) ), that it always gives me great admiration for any non-native English speaker performing in English.

I struggled through Malbrouck s'en va t'en guerre during Peewee's French week and it was a struggle. I totally failed during a Spanish week so I'm playing catch up with my choice above.

When I look back I realise how dreadful foreign language teaching was and is in the UK. Worse I lived three years in France as a kid and didn't learn French. We were sort of insulated by living in a largely English speaking environment - my Dad was on a NATO posting with the RAF. Two of my friends at that time were a Dutch brother and sister who at 8yo or thereabouts could happily flip between Dutch and English.

My last one for this season as I know Catalan is not something I'm going to try. This is a song by Daniel Lanois that features French and English lyrics in one song (He is Canadian so the languages make sense). This is my take on Jolie Louise.

Last edited:
My last one for this season as I know Catalan is not something I'm going to try.]

Ohhhh What a pity! I would like very much to hear you in a Catalan song! Remember: If you do, you have a prize! :D

Sara

Hello, I don't know why, but yesterday my post didn't publicate. Today the third and fourh day. I keep dreaming, you're awesome.

Uke4ia: Akua Tuta: Jim, thanks for sharing this energic song. Your strum and your voice have given strenght to this one. You have made a very, very good job here!!
Barbablanca: Creauant el riu: Berni fas cançons molt boniques! I only can say that you have all my admiration, this is not easy at all, but it seems easy and simple. I love the chorus: "creuant el riu...." Thanks for this gift!
Joko: Yin Khone Bat Thot Tan Chin: Joko you surprise me with ever performance that you make. Your apartment sounds great, and your ukulele too! I love your choice: I hadn't listened before Myanmar language and I thinks it's sound pretty and difficult. Great funny video. Thanks for sharing!
kolibri: Ikh shtey unter a bokserboym: This is a little jewel!! I'm learning a lot in this season. Thanks a lot for this song. I love your picking, and your voice is perfect for this one. Congrats you have done a very good job!!
IamNoMan: Katyushka: Tommy I was waiting for your vid and you don't let me down!! I love your strum and your uke, it is pretty, pretty!!! I llove this song, always when I listen it I think in Joy and good vibes ( I don't know why) Thanks for sharing and for you "good vibes"
lelouden: De colores: GENIAL!! I am Shocked! This is one of your top songs! Your accent is very, very good, and your ukulele does enough to your voice shine, and shine it everything. Congrats, this is a very good one and you know it!! (I think a lot of things more, but I don't know how to say you in english) In catalan: És una cançó preciosa que has sabut donar-li un aire gairebé màgic. THANKS AGAIN LINDA!!
redpaul1: Sin tí no soy nada: Paul...you let me without words. This is AMAZING! You have choice a very, very difficult song with a lot of lyrics and change of tone, and you have succedeed!! Amaral has a lot of beautiful songs, but they aren't easy to sing, and you have made it. I love your sharp voice, and I love your global performance. Thanks, thanks and thanks you have made me so happy :)
PlastikUke: Teru no Uta: Pretty!!! Your velvet voice fits perfectly to this song. And the picking is soft and beautiful done. Nice to meet you! And thanks a lot for sharing this pretty song. Good job!!!
CeeJay:Ue O Muite: You play very well the ukulele! I love your picking and the solo. I didn't know this song and I've enjoyed very much listen to you. Good job here!! Thanks a lot!
AlanDP: Jole Blon: My poor english doesn't allow me understand your explications, but the universal language of the music allows me to enjoy yor song. Your voice bright much more when you sing high. And in this one your voice has been fabulous. Thanks Alan!
Hendulele: French & Okefenokee: Yes!!! This is the spirit! The family singing together! I love your laught, and your choice! I didn't listen before Okejenokee. Thanks for sharing :)
Thesillydave: está bien mamacita that's alright mama: Está super bien Dave!! I always love your playing ukelele, and this one too! Your vocals are amaizing, I like very much two voices! And your accent is great! I enjoyed a lot with your song, thanks a lot to participate!
Anthonylazaro: NIDJI: Wow! Nice to meet you here! Great voice and great song! I'm very happy you are having fun this week. Thanks for participate! (Next time I would like to see your hands playing the uke, I love watching how the hands moving and strumming ;-)
IamNoMan: L'amour Est Bleu: This one is one song that d I've listened many times and I didn't have no idea that it was from Eurovision. I like very much your ukes and your strumming. Thanks for sharing Tommy!
Redpaul1: Comme d'Habitude : You are a box full of surprises! You can sing in any language that you propose! Thanks Paul, a very good cover!

Tootler: Guantanamera: Guantanamera is a very beautiful song and you have sung very well! The strumming in this one is not easy and you have done a good job here Geoff. You don't have to worry, your spanish is not worst than my english. ;-) Thanks for participate I apreciatte very much.
Barbablanca: Joglar: Que bonic fas sonar l'ukelele! Your songs really are very complete. The music is beautiful and the words are powerful. I enjoy very much listen to you. Thanks again!
Xommen: Jolie Louise: Wim I didn't know this one and I've enjoyed a lot! Your picking is great! You know how to create an atmosphere with the uke like nobody. I'm learning a lot with all of your vids. Thanks a lot!!

Good night! See you tomorrow!

Attempted Catalan. I know I mispronounced all of this badly. Catalan seems to be just similar enough and yet just different enough to Spanish that it really gives me a hard time.

To see how this song is really done, and read the English subtitles, go to https://youtu.be/At8T7tXzd5c.

Last edited:
The way I've normally heard this song is with the first verse in French and the rest in English but I thought I'd look up the original French. The usual English version isn't a direct adaptation of the French though the sentiment is much the same - about being abandoned by a lover - how unusual in a song :) Normally English speakers play this as a folk song but the music was originally written by an 18th Century Classical composer to a poem by an 18th Century French poet. I've kept the folky feel to it, though but all in French.

If he can do it - why not you?

I've reached my limit for this week, so just bringing along some 'serving suggestions'. Anyone fancy following in the footsteps of the Dame?

or if you fancy taking on Ragazzo Solo, Ragazza Sola, DB's Italian-language version of Space Oddity, the world, mi bambini, è il suo lobster.

Und auch, es gibt dieses Juwel: Helden ("Heroes" auf Deutsch)

Last edited:
Y finalmente...

Sorry about this. Indulge me. It's been quite a 24 hours :-(

The good thing about foreign-language versions of english-language originals (or indeed english-language covers of foreign-language originals) is you only have to worry about the words. You already know the tunes. And this is a great tune...

... from Abba Oro: "Grandes Exitos" - all their greatest hits in Castilian.

Greetings,

Well it took me days to try to sing in Spanish without butchering it. So here is a beautiful song written by Cuban poet Jose Marti, Guantanamera is the song. Words are in the video.

Ciao
Gina

Top Bottom