Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 266: Foreign Language

Second day of SOTU 266. I'm having a blast!

AlanDP: Trigun Ending Theme: Alan this is really difficult! You have been able to create a very "anime" atmosphere. I want to say: with your voice and the strumm you have transported us very far. Thank you very much, I really liked it.
    Ddanner: Ni Wa Wa (Mud Doll): Well, I like very much this "dark" colour that you have given to the song. Actually this is a very sad song, it is? I think Chinese is a very difficult language and you have done a very good job here. Congrats and thanks for sharing.
    Robinboyd: Mononoke Hime Theme : What a pretty song!! Thanks to this season I am descovering the anime songs. They are really beautiful. I love your fingerstyle and the environment you've created (I'm not sure this is correct, but I don't know how to say what I want to say....) Very good job of both of you, the camera cat is pretty too. Thanks for sharing!
    Lelouden: La lluna, la pruna: You are AMAZING!! You have PUT a smile in my face and made me the day! You have sung one of the most popular childrens songs in Catalunya and You have sung it very well, your accent is beautiful and I'm sure it is not worst than me in english. I like very much your introduction. I love everything: your vocals, your uke, and your final smile in the video. Thanks a LOT I apreciatte very much you effort.
    Barbablanca: Verdun un altre cop: Wow! Saps Berni que ets un luxe per a tots nosaltres i que realment és un orgull poder compartir amb tu aquesta magnífica "droga" que és l'ukelele? Moltes gràcies. És una cançó meravellosa, tant pel que fa a la melodia com per a la lletra. Qualsevol guerra és ferotge, la guerra civil, per propera (qualsevol català té algun parent que hi va anar) ens emociona i ens colpeix. Molt bona feina, m'encanta el puntejat que fas. Realment m'ha encantat. Felicitats (Buff ara qualsevol tradueix a l'anglès tot aquest rotllo...;-) Una abraçada! In English more or less: Berni do you know that I'm very proud to sharing with you this drug called: ukulele? You have made a very beautiful song: lyrics are terrific and music too. (This is a short summary ;-)
    Redpaul101: Komm gib mir deine Hand : Paul, I don't know why but your vids make me happy. I like your fresh, your way to play ukulele, I like that you seems so happy singing and playing that this is contagious. Thanks a lot for this German Beattles song. (A secret: this song is one of my favourite of Beattles) Good done!!
    Harry122: Un elefante se balanceaba: Hehehehe! Your are so funny Randy! This song was very popular when I was a child.It is a spanish Classic children song. I love your choir, and I love your fluke! Thanks Randy for this gift.
    Limousin Lil: TOUS LES GARCONS ET LES FILLES: Wow, you seems French! I love your choice. I like very much this song. Your beautiful uke bright like a star. Very good job Val! This song must have been a real challenge for a "British Throug and though". It isn't? ;-)

Good night, see you tomorrow!!

Sara

Turtledrum reminded me that there's a lot of languages right here in North America that I was forgetting about. In the mid-'90s, Robbie Robertson put together a great soundtrack for the TV documentary "The Native Americans". It included the song "Akua Tuta" ("Take Care") by an Innu folk-rock duo from Quebec called Kashtin. The song is in Innu-aimun, a language spoken by only about 12,000 people. (There's another great song from that album called "Mahk Jchi" that I'll leave for someone else to do. It's in Tutelo-Saponi, an Eastern Siouxan language.)

Edit: I found this English translation of the lyrics on Google:

Be careful what you do
    Be careful
    With what has been given to you
    The way you were raised

Hey hey hey hey
    Hey hey hey hey

Be careful what you do
    With the thing you protect
    Be careful what you do
    With what has helped you

Hey hey hey hey
    Hey hey hey hey

Take care of our land
    Be careful of the way you were raised
    Take care of our grandfathers
    Take care of our grandmothers, too
    Take care of your children
    And your brother's and sister's children, too
    Last edited by uke4ia; 03-20-2017 at 05:33 PM.
    Uke can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find uke get what you need!

YouTube: www.youtube.com/uke4ia

Very soothing, thanks

Here is my second song in Catalan about the Battle of the Ebro.
    Translation (and notes) in the Youtube description.

Again this song was inspired by talks I had back in the 1980s with ex-combatants in the Spanish Civil War.

Epiphone Les Paul (Red) Concert
    Kala KA FMTE - C (Low G)
    Steel Strung Hora Baritone
    Korala Baritone UKB 36
    Eugene Customised Tanglewood TU5 Baritone (High D)
    Yamaha GL1 Guitarlele
    Baritone Ukulele Banjo
    Oscar Schmidt 8 String Tenor
    Oscar Schmidt 6 String Tenor
    Jack Daniels Tenor - by Peavey
    Mainland Red Cedar Concert
    Korala Soprano Mahogany Electro Acoustic Cutaway
    Tenor Resonator Ukulele HB CLU 34-T
    Alida Electric Tenor
    Harley Benton CLU-Bass

I enjoyed this song a lot, even though I didn't understand it at all. GREAT UKULELE, THANKS

May I present my first ukulele video from my new apartment here in the Sanchaung neighborhood of Yangon. I also happened to pick up some video lights from a former colleague who was leaving the country, which explains how well lit this vid is. Furthermore, I wanted to hear how the accoustics of my new place sounded au natural without using the USB mic.

Singing in a foreign language ain't easy. Particularly when you barely understand the language. Between the errors in my transcription and the errors in its performance, this song bares little resemblance to the Han Htun original in Myanmar. I'm okay with that.

The whole thing was kind of ironic. See, as I'm sure is the case all over the globe, the local musicians here in Myanmar frequently take English tunes, cover them using Myanmar lyrics that have nothing to do with the original ones, and these are hits on the local radio. I doubt any royalties go back to whichever artist created the music. Anyways, Han Htun had a big hit here in Myanmar 5 years ago by redoing Chicago's It's Hard for Me to Say I'm Sorry... I redo his redoing.

The lyrics...

Last edited by Joko; 03-21-2017 at 02:13 AM.
    Blogging about a momentous life change as I switch careers and continents--> Leaving America

Super theme! I love languages and often "sing" in other languages than my own. This week, I chose a foreign language which I don't speak at all. "Ikh shtey unter a bokserboym" - a song in Yiddish by Ziame Telesin and Chava Alberstein.

I have found myself frustrated this week in trying to learn new songs, some of which are on my active to do list. Getting the language approximately right is hard enough and them the musical arrangement; well it is a process. Then it hit me why not sing the songs I know. I sing this song all the time in english or Russian. The quickest way I know to break the ice with a Russian speaker is to sing this song. They will join in before the first refrain!

"Inspire me muse to sing of the wanderer, who sailed the wine dark sea and toppled the towers of Ilium"
    "Make a Joyous Noise"
    "Let there be song to fill the air"

Uncle Tommy's Holiday Camp

Spanish - De Colores, I first heard this from Joan Baez. The english translation is in the description.

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.

Default Sin Tí Yo Soy Nada

Para el doscientos sesenta y seis SOTU del UU, una canción en castellano de Amaral (me encanta Amaral ):

Argapa custom piccolo | Argapa custom resonator soprano | Rob Collins custom soprano | Kavanagh custom concert | Ashton sop. | Clearwater SB electric concert | Kala PU-SSTU travel sopranissimo | Kala PU-SMH sopranissimo | Kala SSTU-BP soprano | Kala C/MU concert "The Mighty Uke"! | Kala SSTU-C concert | Kala SSTU-T tenor | Korala UKS-310 sop | Harley Benton BCJ100-FMH SB electric baritone | Lanikai S-B Baritone | Clearwater "long neck" baritone | Maholo sop. | Tiny Tangi

Too Drunk To Pluck

Thread Information