Season 266: Foreign Language

Second day of SOTU 266. I'm having a blast!

AlanDP: Trigun Ending Theme: Alan this is really difficult! You have been able to create a very "anime" atmosphere. I want to say: with your voice and the strumm you have transported us very far. Thank you very much, I really liked it.
Ddanner: Ni Wa Wa (Mud Doll): Well, I like very much this "dark" colour that you have given to the song. Actually this is a very sad song, it is? I think Chinese is a very difficult language and you have done a very good job here. Congrats and thanks for sharing.
Robinboyd: Mononoke Hime Theme : What a pretty song!! Thanks to this season I am descovering the anime songs. They are really beautiful. I love your fingerstyle and the environment you've created (I'm not sure this is correct, but I don't know how to say what I want to say....) Very good job of both of you, the camera cat is pretty too. Thanks for sharing!
Lelouden: La lluna, la pruna: You are AMAZING!! You have PUT a smile in my face and made me the day! You have sung one of the most popular childrens songs in Catalunya and You have sung it very well, your accent is beautiful and I'm sure it is not worst than me in english. I like very much your introduction. I love everything: your vocals, your uke, and your final smile in the video. Thanks a LOT I apreciatte very much you effort.
Barbablanca: Verdun un altre cop: Wow! Saps Berni que ets un luxe per a tots nosaltres i que realment és un orgull poder compartir amb tu aquesta magnífica "droga" que és l'ukelele? Moltes gràcies. És una cançó meravellosa, tant pel que fa a la melodia com per a la lletra. Qualsevol guerra és ferotge, la guerra civil, per propera (qualsevol català té algun parent que hi va anar) ens emociona i ens colpeix. Molt bona feina, m'encanta el puntejat que fas. Realment m'ha encantat. Felicitats (Buff ara qualsevol tradueix a l'anglès tot aquest rotllo...;-) Una abraçada! In English more or less: Berni do you know that I'm very proud to sharing with you this drug called: ukulele? You have made a very beautiful song: lyrics are terrific and music too. (This is a short summary ;-)
Redpaul101: Komm gib mir deine Hand : Paul, I don't know why but your vids make me happy. I like your fresh, your way to play ukulele, I like that you seems so happy singing and playing that this is contagious. Thanks a lot for this German Beattles song. (A secret: this song is one of my favourite of Beattles) Good done!!
Harry122: Un elefante se balanceaba: Hehehehe! Your are so funny Randy! This song was very popular when I was a child.It is a spanish Classic children song. I love your choir, and I love your fluke! Thanks Randy for this gift.
Limousin Lil: TOUS LES GARCONS ET LES FILLES: Wow, you seems French! I love your choice. I like very much this song. Your beautiful uke bright like a star. Very good job Val! This song must have been a real challenge for a "British Throug and though". It isn't? ;-)

Good night, see you tomorrow!!

Sara

Turtledrum reminded me that there's a lot of languages right here in North America that I was forgetting about. In the mid-'90s, Robbie Robertson put together a great soundtrack for the TV documentary "The Native Americans". It included the song "Akua Tuta" ("Take Care") by an Innu folk-rock duo from Quebec called Kashtin. The song is in Innu-aimun, a language spoken by only about 12,000 people. (There's another great song from that album called "Mahk Jchi" that I'll leave for someone else to do. It's in Tutelo-Saponi, an Eastern Siouxan language.)

Edit: I found this English translation of the lyrics on Google:

Be careful what you do
Be careful
With what has been given to you
The way you were raised

Hey hey hey hey
Hey hey hey hey

Be careful what you do
With the thing you protect
Be careful what you do
With what has helped you

Hey hey hey hey
Hey hey hey hey

Take care of our land
Be careful of the way you were raised
Take care of our grandfathers
Take care of our grandmothers, too
Take care of your children
And your brother's and sister's children, too

Last edited:
Here is my second song in Catalan about the Battle of the Ebro.
Translation (and notes) in the Youtube description.

Again this song was inspired by talks I had back in the 1980s with ex-combatants in the Spanish Civil War.

May I present my first ukulele video from my new apartment here in the Sanchaung neighborhood of Yangon. I also happened to pick up some video lights from a former colleague who was leaving the country, which explains how well lit this vid is. Furthermore, I wanted to hear how the accoustics of my new place sounded au natural without using the USB mic.

Singing in a foreign language ain't easy. Particularly when you barely understand the language. Between the errors in my transcription and the errors in its performance, this song bares little resemblance to the Han Htun original in Myanmar. I'm okay with that.

The whole thing was kind of ironic. See, as I'm sure is the case all over the globe, the local musicians here in Myanmar frequently take English tunes, cover them using Myanmar lyrics that have nothing to do with the original ones, and these are hits on the local radio. I doubt any royalties go back to whichever artist created the music. Anyways, Han Htun had a big hit here in Myanmar 5 years ago by redoing Chicago's It's Hard for Me to Say I'm Sorry... I redo his redoing.

The lyrics...
17361532_10210382504177756_6398216144011474726_n.jpg

17361815_10210384174139504_5875257244937175904_n.jpg

Last edited:
Super theme! I love languages and often "sing" in other languages than my own. This week, I chose a foreign language which I don't speak at all. "Ikh shtey unter a bokserboym" - a song in Yiddish by Ziame Telesin and Chava Alberstein.

I have found myself frustrated this week in trying to learn new songs, some of which are on my active to do list. Getting the language approximately right is hard enough and them the musical arrangement; well it is a process. Then it hit me why not sing the songs I know. I sing this song all the time in english or Russian. The quickest way I know to break the ice with a Russian speaker is to sing this song. They will join in before the first refrain!

Spanish - De Colores, I first heard this from Joan Baez. The english translation is in the description.

Sin Tí Yo Soy Nada

Para el doscientos sesenta y seis SOTU del UU, una canción en castellano de Amaral (me encanta Amaral :love: ):

I went Old School for my attempt at the Land Of The Rising Sun mother tongue . Just to be different. I first heard this as a tune when I was a nipper of about 10.it was an instrumental by the Kenny Ball Jazz Band and it has been one of my favourite tunes...this season has given me the chance to sing it ...something you chaps and chappesses may come to regret LOL.

OK, those who don't live stateside and are younger than a certain age may miss this reference entirely. But from 1950-~1975, America's greatest satirist of the 20th century not named George Carlin drew and wrote a comic strip called "Pogo." The little possum was the only sane character who lived in the Okefenokee Swamp. His mates got into lots of trouble, offered a lot of political commentary and tomfoolery, and butchered some familiar songs. ("Deck Us All With Boston Charlie" was a big hit at Christmas.) Pogo also is famous for coining the phrase, "We have met the enemy and he is us."

Churchy La Femme, the turtle, sang this famous lullaby. Cara's singing in French; me in Okefenokee.

Lyrics: Twiggle twiggle, lily starch/howie rumble woody arch/up above a high Ohio/like a dime on a piano/Twiggle twiggle, lily starch/howie rumble woody arch.

You're welcome. Pogo holds up remarkably well to this day. If you can find the series "The great thinking contest of 1955," by all means, enjoy.

How do I post an entry? I have never entered a video on SOTU.

Record a vid and up load the video to youtube.
Copy the url (address) of your vid.
Come to forum and the season you wish to enter.
Reply to the thread and click on the little film slide ikon above the reply window and paste the url in the space provided and click OK.

Click reply and your vid still should appear in the post in the thread.

Last edited:
Top Bottom