Season 266: Foreign Language

Season 266. Submission 1. "Ho Ho Watanay" (Author Unknown)

This is an Iroquois lullaby. The English translation appears with the lyrics on the Tube information.

The Iroquois tribe make their home in the northeastern part of the United States.

"Ho Ho Watanay" is a lullaby sung to children. My video is a reminder that we are responsible for all the children on this planet.

Thank you, Sara, for hosting and leading me to this song.

Native American drum and concert ukulele. (And sleep sounds from Jax at the start and a few other spots.)

Last edited:
Well, interesting theme to come back to. X3. Been out of commission for a few weeks, between having to run around dealing with my father having a heart attack (turned put very minor, and he was out of the hospital (in better condition than he's been in years) within a few days), being incredibly sick myself, and just a number of other sudden, piling up things needing to be done, I haveNT been able to participate, or even watch much of the seasons for a fee weeks.

The bright side is that I've been catching up on (and, of course, binging on) a lot of anime. So this'll be a good excuse to try and get some anime intros in, and not feel bad about my severe lack of Japanese speaking ability. X3

My first entry is a song in Japanese....it's the ending theme of a well known anime series ..Cowboy Bebop.. I played the baritone ukulele, my son sang. ..wasn't easy to do

Well, interesting theme to come back to. X3. Been out of commission for a few weeks, between having to run around dealing with my father having a heart attack (turned put very minor, and he was out of the hospital (in better condition than he's been in years) within a few days), being incredibly sick myself, and just a number of other sudden, piling up things needing to be done, I haveNT been able to participate, or even watch much of the seasons for a fee weeks.

The bright side is that I've been catching up on (and, of course, binging on) a lot of anime. So this'll be a good excuse to try and get some anime intros in, and not feel bad about my severe lack of Japanese speaking ability. X3

Mike! Don't feel bad about your japanese speaking ability! This is the seasons and this is like your home! (I'm not a idea about Japanese or anime :) I'm very happy that your father is ok.

This is a song I recently learned, it features English, South African (their version of Dutch) and Zulu language. So I guess it fits this season like a glove ;). This is a South African gospel song called Bambalela.

I was able to talk my husband into finally doing a video with me without hiding. He was a good sport about it. I told him to just smile :D Remarkably he hadn't ever heard this song until today.

Well, my very first day like host and I'm so happy!!

Pabrizzer: Era un dia asolellat: BRAVO!!! You have done it! I love easy and quite songs. This is perfect. Great job Brian! Your domain of playing ukulele is total. The more I listen to it the more I like it
Weegingayin: Hämä Hämähäkki: Your covers ALWAYS have got a special and creative vision of music. I like very much your finnish song. Thanks a lot for sharing this one! Your voice is special fine here. Good job here Rob!
Pabrizzer: Alouette: Usually the most simple is the best. I love very much your little jewel. Your melancholy cover is very beautiful. Good job with French!
Redpaul101:Així és la vida: Yes!! This is the Seasonistas spirit: Brave and very fun!! I LOVE IT!! I love the delirious translation, and I love your ukulele and vocals. Great song Paul here! Thanks a lot for sharing us your sense of humor. MOLTES GRÀCIES!
xommen:Männer:Thanks Wim for this one! I enjoyed it a lot! I love very very much your strumm. Very good job!! Ah! And I think your german accent is pretty ;-)
YorkSteve: Amas Min Fari: BRAVO Steve!! I love everyhing of your song: chords are perfec, your strumming, and what about of lyrics: Mi havas ne sufiĉe da vortoj por gratuli. Thanks for participate in this crazy season.
UkeFoote: Uber den Selbstmord:Brian, usually your songs have a special magic, but this one is really, really magical. I love it very much! Very good job here. Congrats!
Turtledrum: Ho Ho Watanay: Sweet, sweet...You know that I'm very fan of your covers, and this one it isn't an exception. Thanks Linda for this preety jewel and for sharing it!
Lucille just rocks: Cowboy bebop ending theme: Wow! I can imagine that this one it has not been easy work. Good job of both of you, congrats to your son and of course to you. Your baritone sounds amazing. Thanks for this song!!
Weegingayin: Siyahamba: Siyahamba always works, it is? I love this song, and I love your cover. The ukulele and drums are nice together. Great jo Rob!
Lucille just rocks: Le deserteur: BRAVO!! I didn't know this song and I love it!! Thanks for sharing this one. Really this is a pretty song, and you have sung and played very well. Good job!
xommen: Bambalela: Singing along with you! Really liked this one. :) The vocals and the uke are fine here. Thanks a lot Wim for this little precious song.
Lelouden: La vie en Rose: Linda, where did you have hidden him? Wow you are the perfecte couple! Thanks to Mitch, thanks to you. And I'm sorry I don't believe me that he hadn't ever heard this song before...he has sung it perfectly!! Good job both of you. Thanks for sharing it!

Good night folks. See you tomorrow!

Sara

Last edited:
Greetings,

So cool.

:)

SOTU 266: Foreign Language - Ni Wa Wa (Mud Doll) Traditional Chinese Childrens Song

The translated lyrics are displayed within the video. Ni wa wa means "mud doll," but the mud referred to is a low quality fired clay. The dolls are typically painted after firing, and a photograph of two that were given to me is what I used in my video's title image.

Nearly all of the on line videos of this song are sung by very young chinese girls and it has a bright and happy sound. I fear that I may still be suffering the effects from our recent season 262, "You Want It Darker." My older, male voice and baritone ukulele definitely gives it a different tone than young Chinese girls! :eek:ld::music:

I hope you enjoy it:

I feel like I'm jumping on the bandwagon a bit by doing another anime theme song, but anyway, this one is from the movie, The Princess Mononoke. I sung it an octave low because I'm not crazy! It was originally sung by Yoshikazu Mera, who is a countertenor. There is another guest appearance at the end.

Here is a translation of the lyrics. It's not my translation, but it's very very good.

The trembling bowstring of a drawn bow
Pounding in the moonlight, your heart
The beauty of a sharpened blade
Thy profile looks very much like that sword point.
Lurking in the sadness and anger
The only ones who know your true heart are the forest spirits
Only the spirits, only the spirits...

I won't be able to do a number this week, but if I could, it would be this one - one of my favorites from the Conchords. Ou est les bibliotheque?

Catalan, eh? Reckon that puts Berni front & centre ;-)

Seriously, great idea. I've tried to cover a few songs in Castilian and in German in the past. It was so bloody tricky (I remember Elmann laughing his socks off at my cover of 99 Luftballons :) ), that it always gives me great admiration for any non-native English speaker performing in English.
It is so much easier to learn & speak English than it is to learn German. So it is not much of an effort....but most Germans are not willing to speak another foreign language though it would be way easier to communicate. German doesn't sound very nice imo. Japanese is great but you need to be willing to learn and learn....
Heino

This is a misunderstood song. Many think it is a children's song about a father and mother and child. This explanation was taken from a foreigners blog about this song and is my best interpretation of what the writers were trying to express.

The moon, the plum,
dressed in mourning,
his father calls,
his mother does not want.

What is the meaning of this song?
The true explanation can be found from the mouth of some old Mallorcan farmers still singing the song, called "the moon, the dark." Without a doubt, this was the original version. The word is applied to the brown color that is dark, dark, blackish.

Obviously, the moon appears dark brown but it is not. Astronomically the new moon is called noviluni. In the new moon phase of the moon's sun rays illuminate the face opposite to what is seen from earth and thus the moon appears dark. What do the lyrics mean, calling his father, and his mother does not want? Who are the father and mother? Metaphorically, the father is the sun and mother is the earth. His father, the Sun, wants to illuminate to totally dominate. Mother, the earth, does not want this to happen. She wants it to continue projecting its shadow on the near side of the moon so the dark will continue. Consider that this is the explanation and, therefore, the correct version of the song is:

The moon, the dark,
dressed in mourning,
his father call,
his mother does not want.

That is the ditty that originally was sung when there was a new moon.

Other versions are: "The moon, the plum / dressed in mourning, / mother called and / father does not want to", "the moon, the plum / and one sailor, and many more.

Good luck trying to figure out if any of that makes sense ;)

Last edited:
This one was a massive hit here back in the day .......don't think anyone had the foggiest what it was about though........any ageing punks in da house ?

This one was a massive hit here back in the day .......don't think anyone had the foggiest what it was about though........any ageing punks in da house ?

I loved this song..let's call it 'fun punkish pop'...I already did a song in French...maybe someone else is interested.

Top Bottom