Season 266: Foreign Language

Besame Mucho

It turns out that I was bit early when I did Manu Chao's "Desaparecido" a few weeks back...

Technically I could have done anything in english, since I am not a native speaker, but since I sing mostly in english - here is something else in spanish.

My summary from fifth and sixth day. I’m sure this is my funniest participation in the seasons. I'm delighted to be the hostess

AlanDP: Avui vull agrair: es, Yes, Yes!!! A poweful song with a very good performance. I sincerely prefer your intimate version, Monica Naranjo I think she is a little Exaggerated :) Please Do not ask for forgiveness for your level of Catalan. It has been very generous of you to sing in a language that you have probably never heard before. Thank you so much for your effort.
CeeJay: What a fun and energetic performance!! When I grow up I want to play the ukulele like you!! CeeJay you are a master! Thanks for this one!
Pabrizzer: Pokarekare Ana: Brian, I think your versions are small works of art. I like everything about this: music, how you play the ukulele, your voice ... Thanks for this song preciousness.
Tootler: plaisir d’amour: Geoff I think sincerily that this one is one of you best stuff. Your baritone sound so pretty! Your vocals are very ok too. Thanks a lot and CONGRATS!!
PhillyV: Sukiyaki by Kyu Sakamoto: Wow, wow, wow your song Is really good! Delighted to meet you! I've listened your song a lot of times because my little son likes very much your cover (and me too ;-) You have made a great work. I have to confess that I am in love with your ukulele, and your playing. very good one!! Congrats
Ginas Uke: Guantanamera: Singing along with you! Really liked this one. :) Your accent is ok!!! Thanks Gina for sharing!
Greyghost: Luna de Xelajú: Ei tu tienes un acento muy bueno!!! Bonita canción, no la conocía pero me ha gustado mucho. Muchas gracias por participar, es un placer escucharte!
Ddanner: Al Vent: Dennis do you know that you have sung a hymn for all the catalan people? This one it was a very popular song aganist the Franco dictatorship. In the dictatorship catalan language it was forbbiden, and we had to speak in spanish. My grandfather, who was to the civil war, teached me a lot of catalan songs but he always sayed to me: You can not sing this one in the street only at home!!! thanks a lot Dennis you have made a huge effort and you have made my day!!
29moons: Velo Solex: Great quality!! Your uke sounds genial! And your vocals too!! I don't know french, so I 've heras you a very good accent ;-) Moons this one is a very good stuff, thanks a lot for sharing!!
Weerpool: En el muelle de San Blas: Wow! HIgh level! Your accent is good! And your picking and strumming is VERY good. This is a beautiful song and you have made a beautiful cover. Thanks a lot for sharing!!
Joko: Bongjar: Joko I love protest songs! And this one has all the power and the strenght that you have known how to give it. thanks for the explanation and for this song! And I love your joy!
Mikef: Das model: I love when I see two friend playing and singing together! Your joy is contagious. Thanks a lot, I'm sure Ukelites will be very happy to hear you, like I am. Good job with this pretty uke and the harmonium!
One Man and His Uke: Danke Schön : Wow! Welcome to the seasons! This song is for dancing. When I hear it, my feet do not stop dancing. Thanks very much, it has been a very good choice: well played, and well sung it. Good job!
YorkSteve: He intentat en català: Steve You have made my day!! MOLT I MOLT BÉ!! As I always say: less is more. Congrats for this little, little song that it makes me very HAPPY!! :)
Dougf: Nuages: Yes Doug!! You always raise the level!! My first vid in te seasons you were host: season 79. Now a few seasons after that in my first time like host I'm very proud an honored that you want participate in. I love your style and I love your song choise. Thanks a loooot! You have made me very happy.
LimousinLil: Les copains d’abord: hehehe Val what a such funny cover! I love your kazoo, and your dance! Very good one, and difficult, right? You have made a lot of work with the video editing programme! Thanks!
Jimavery: La Marseillaise: This is a awesome season! La Marseillaise it's here!! Very good played, thanks for sharing Jim!
Xommen: Elena: Wim you are AWESOME! You have made it! You have an Unconfusible and personal style that I like very much! I didn't know it and really is a great song! Thanks a lot for this gift from you. I apreciatte very much.
Elmann: Avís per a navegants: How? You have sung one of my favourites songs of this group!! And you have done perfectly! Have you got some catalan ancestors? VERY GOOD job Elmann! This one is a beautiful song that you have done beautifully. Thanks, thanks a lot I'm touched!!
Elmann: Good night old friends: What a pretty song! Do you know that this one is the first song sung in english in this season? Your uke sounds great! Very good job!
Elmann: Bon soir mes amis: I think this one sounds better in French! I like very much! Your picking is awesome. thanks for sharing!
UkingViking: Besame mucho: A beautiful song that you have played it terrific! I love this arrengement. Your accent is almost perfect. Great Job here a great cover!!

Bona nit i fins demà!

Last edited:
Of all the videos I've ever done, this is my favorite. Let me explain. <TCK>Back when TCK hosted his first season in which he wanted folks to play with someone, Season 18, I had all but begged my wife to do a video with me. It just wasn't her thing. I've asked her repeatedly since then, even proposing that her singing in a vid with me would be my birthday present. Nope. I can't deny that I am jealous of all those couples skate vids that TCK posts. We even had TCK and TCW visit us a couple of times and Mel would happily play a song but my wife just wanted to sit back and watch. I don't ask anymore, it's just not her thing. I've been happy to record vids for the seasons in the past with my kids around, and if you've ever seen any of those you know they basically act as silly as they can knowing the camera is rolling. That's fine, that's fun. At least I'm doing my thing with someone. I've tried to teach my girls a little something on the uke (they even won their own ukulele a few years back!) but it wasn't their thing.
Fast forward to this week. I was certain that I would not post a video this week. I don't speak any other languages other than my native English, with the exception of some basic Italian, so I figured I'd put a few Chuck Berry vids up on the Island and call it a week. Then I thought "I am going to Hawaii next week, maybe I could muddle through Aloha Oe?", which I've always loved. So I found a play along vid right here on UU and was going through it when my oldest daughter, Evie, came and sat down beside me. Now, my daughters ignore me whenever I play, except when they spare a moment to tell me to stop because they're watching something or doing homework. Whatever. So after I went through this Aloha Oe play along, Evie asked if she could sing it while I play. After I scooped my jaw up off the floor we started the vid over again and went through it. The words were printed on the screen for Evie to read. Then she asked me if we could practice it. In fact, she asked me to practice it every day this week when she came home from school. Can you see now why this is my favorite vid, my favorite week of the seasons, ever? I burst with joy every time Evie got home from school and wanted to practice a song, in another language, with her dad. So thank you for hosting.
Now, tonight after we practiced, Evie asked if we could film it. Of course we can! I figured we'd do at least a few takes and choose the best, but, like father like daughter, she was happy to do just the one take. So here is what I did with my daughter this week.</TCK>

This song is by a band called Ulfuls. Apparently they were originally called Soulfuls, but they lost the "so" at some point. This was a huge hit in 1996, when I first went to Japan. It was pretty much the soundtrack of that first trip.

An English translation of the lyrics can be found here. http://www.jpopasia.com/lyrics/11317/ulfuls/ It's terrible, but I think it is the official one that was released with the Album.

To really do this justice, I'm going to have to transpose it into a key that better suits my voice and also not play when I'm exhausted, but oh well.

Song using leguminous plants and symbiotic bacteria names in latin.
An old russian song sung by the soviet workers as they worked on the
collective farms planting peas and beans.

Vicia faba, Medicago sativa
Phaseolus vulgaris, Galega galega
Lathyrus odoratus, Caragana arborescens
Rhizobium trifoli, Trifolium pratense

Last edited:
'La Poupée Qui Fait Non' by Michel Polnareff

As they say in Australia "Pardon My French", but here is a cover of the 1966 hit by Michel Polnareff called "La Poupée Qui Fait Non". Covered by Jimi Hendrix and the Byrds, the guitar in the original recording was played by Jimmy Page.
The lyrics in both French and English can be found in my YouTube description. And I have added images in the video of Polnareff and the very cute poupée who inspired the song.

Au Revoir et Merci!

Last edited:
Of all the videos I've ever done, this is my favorite. Let me explain. <TCK>Back when TCK hosted his first season in which he wanted folks to play with someone, Season 18, I had all but begged my wife to do a video with me. It just wasn't her thing. I've asked her repeatedly since then, even proposing that her singing in a vid with me would be my birthday present. Nope. I can't deny that I am jealous of all those couples skate vids that TCK posts. We even had TCK and TCW visit us a couple of times and Mel would happily play a song but my wife just wanted to sit back and watch. I don't ask anymore, it's just not her thing. I've been happy to record vids for the seasons in the past with my kids around, and if you've ever seen any of those you know they basically act as silly as they can knowing the camera is rolling. That's fine, that's fun. At least I'm doing my thing with someone. I've tried to teach my girls a little something on the uke (they even won their own ukulele a few years back!) but it wasn't their thing.
Fast forward to this week. I was certain that I would not post a video this week. I don't speak any other languages other than my native English, with the exception of some basic Italian, so I figured I'd put a few Chuck Berry vids up on the Island and call it a week. Then I thought "I am going to Hawaii next week, maybe I could muddle through Aloha Oe?", which I've always loved. So I found a play along vid right here on UU and was going through it when my oldest daughter, Evie, came and sat down beside me. Now, my daughters ignore me whenever I play, except when they spare a moment to tell me to stop because they're watching something or doing homework. Whatever. So after I went through this Aloha Oe play along, Evie asked if she could sing it while I play. After I scooped my jaw up off the floor we started the vid over again and went through it. The words were printed on the screen for Evie to read. Then she asked me if we could practice it. In fact, she asked me to practice it every day this week when she came home from school. Can you see now why this is my favorite vid, my favorite week of the seasons, ever? I burst with joy every time Evie got home from school and wanted to practice a song, in another language, with her dad. So thank you for hosting.
Now, tonight after we practiced, Evie asked if we could film it. Of course we can! I figured we'd do at least a few takes and choose the best, but, like father like daughter, she was happy to do just the one take. So here is what I did with my daughter this week.</TCK>

WoW! I've to say thanks to Evie because both of you have participated in this one season thanks her, right? I'm very proud that you finally have participated. And you made my day with your post. Thanks a lot to both of you.

It has been a tough Season for me. I have a personal foible. If Iam going to perform in a foreign language or dialect I really try to get it correct as possible. Its a matter of respect for others I suppose. I have started working on at least six foreign language songs; which I wish to do, but am not ready for yet. Some will doubtless appear in future Seasons, but not this one. The real problem is that I haven't listened to enough Catalan songs to choose one for Sara this Season. I regret this immensely. I will record some Catalan songs in the future Sara; but I don't wish to do a half-baked job. Well as they say: "Que Sera Sera".

It has been a tough Season for me. I have a personal foible. If Iam going to perform in a foreign language or dialect I really try to get it correct as possible. Its a matter of respect for others I suppose. I have started working on at least six foreign language songs; which I wish to do, but am not ready for yet. Some will doubtless appear in future Seasons, but not this one. The real problem is that I haven't listened to enough Catalan songs to choose one for Sara this Season. I regret this immensely. I will record some Catalan songs in the future Sara; but I don't wish to do a half-baked job. Well as they say: "Que Sera Sera".

I know that in this season you have had to leave your comfort zone. And all of you have done a great effort! Thanks, thanks a lot. Tommy I'm sure when you want to sing a catalan song you will do very well. ;)

The Italian progressive rock band Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM) did an album called "Ulisse" based on Homer's "Odyssey". This song is "Il cavallo di legno" (The Wooden Horse).

A very very last minute entry from me - my offering in Irish below - now, everyone brought up in the Irish educational system is forced to learn Irish from when they start until they finish school. However 99% of people still can't speak at all bar one or two words, and I am one of those, hence I've classed this as a foreign language :) Oh and scroll down to the description on youtube and read the English lyrics which are a bit psycho...

If anyone's interested, this is what it should sound like with the correct pronunciation too - and she has a stunning, magical voice...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhyWXnyykds)

This video has been three years in the making. The footage was shot in 2014 but set aside and forgotten. Thanks for hosting this foreign language Season Srax- it inspired me to take this project off the shelf and finish it. I recorded the audio last night and added in some video of me playing the song. I found singing in French to be the easy part. Editing 10 minutes of footage down to 2 and 1/2 and singing while strumming a difficult strum pattern was the challenge for me this week.

Last edited:
This theme caught my eye, and in spot listening through there’s a lot of nice stuff as usual. Though I guess it’s late in the game for the contest, for those who like singing in other languages (I do) and are looking for something both familiar and very pretty, here’s something you may not have thought of and might really enjoy playing.

In Mexico, this song is sort of like “The Saints” here in New Orleans. In both places the songs are strongly associated with their locales, and are almost always heard in upbeat, raucous arrangements. But just as The Saints is a beautiful dirge as well, Cielito Lindo is actually a love song. The author wrote it for his wife. But women love to sing this song, and it has a long tradition of being sung by mothers and grandmothers to the little girls in the family. Here’s how it sounds in that way:

Some things don’t translate well, and this song is certainly an example of that. Cielito Lindo would translate literally to Beautiful Little Sky or in this case Beautiful Little Heaven. Cielo can mean either depending on context. But it's an old term of endearment. I’ll take a shot at a somewhat literal translation of the song, while trying to convey somewhat more of the meaning at the same time.

Down from the Sierra Morena (mountains), Cielito Lindo, they come
A pair of tiny black eyes,
Cielito Lindo, they're contraband!

Ay ay ay ay
Sing - don’t cry
For singing makes happy Cielito Lindo, our hearts.

A bird that abandons Cielito Lindo, his first nest
if he returns to find it occupied
it’s well deserved

Ay ay ay ay…

The little beauty mark you have Cielito Lindo by your mouth Don´t give it to anyone
Cielito Lindo, it’s mine!

Ay ay ay ay…

An arrow in the air, Cielito Lindo, Cupid has launched at me. If he did it in play, Cielito Lindo he has wounded me just the same.

Ay ay ay ay…

And to sing it (sounds much better this way):

De la Sierra Morena,
cielito lindo, vienen bajando,
Un par de ojitos negros,
cielito lindo, de contrabando.

Ay, ay, ay, ay,
Canta y no llores,
Porque cantando se alegran,
cielito lindo, los corazones.

Pájaro que abandona,
cielito lindo, su primer nido,
Si lo encuentra ocupado,
cielito lindo, bien merecido.

Ay, ay ay ay....

Ese lunar que tienes,
cielito lindo, junto a la boca,
No se lo des a nadie,
cielito lindo, que a mí me toca.

Ay, ay ay ay....

Una flecha en el aire,
cielito lindo, lanzó Cupido,
si la tiró jugando,
cielito lindo, a mí me ha herido.

Last edited:
Just had a listen through most (but not all of this week's entries) and wanted to say what a great theme choice for the Seasons! I've really enjoyed hearing such a wide variety of music and the novelty of listening so many different languages being sung : )

Top Bottom