Sharpie autograph removal

jjdejd

Reaction score
Saw a local ad for a uke, but it has an signature on the lower front. It's a gloss finish laminate. It's not an expensive uke, but was wondering if there is a way to remove it.

I guess the first question would be, "whose signature?" If it is a signature worth having, it might be worth verifying it and getting a COA for it.

If you really want to do it, here is an internet search result...the second method for finished wood. I would be a little concerned about damaging the ukulele's finish more than it already is. http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Marker-from-Wood

I had a signature, in Sharpie, on my Vita Uke, and it was worn away just from playing. There is only a tiny bit of the marker left.

Unfortunately, the signature was Jake's...

Saw a local ad for a uke, but it has an signature on the lower front. It's a gloss finish laminate. It's not an expensive uke, but was wondering if there is a way to remove it.

I know someone who used toothpaste ... I think it worked!

I'm betting Flitz plastic polish would work. I also have some Stewmac polish and some haze remover that would likely work and neither would hurt the finish but one issue may be a slight difference in the gloss that may need some hand buffing to even out.

I believe that alcohol or tea tree oil would work. I would test on a small area first.

The finish on a cheap uke is probably modern UV cured poly, those are very durable. I'd suggest the stain remover called Goof Off, which is basically naphtha (lighter fluid). I've used it on lots of poly guitars to get off sticker goop, etc, works like a charm. Always test on a tiny inconspiuous spot first.

Probably an auto-correct issue, but I'm pretty sure you meant to write Goo Off.

rubbing alcohol will remove sharpie completely, and is very mild.

Goof off, is a strong solvent and might damage the finish.
Toothpaste would be an abrasive. Although it might work, it could leave a dull spot that you'd need to buff.

There's basically 2 strategies, dissolve, or abrasive.

Sharpie, I would strongly suggest rubbing alcohol. I use rubbing alcohol frequently to remove sharpie from non-porous surfaces. Seriously... this is the way to go to remove sharpie.

Believe it or not a dry erase marker will remove permanent marker ink. Test on small are first

Unfortunately, Jake's signature got partially rubbed off myuke. It wound up looking so bad, I wiped the remainder off with alcohol, then drank some other alcohol.

Top Bottom